Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Michael Jackson owning Elvis' music?

Sat May 24, 2003 2:31 am

This is a part of a report on Michael as reported on CNN.com.

[Jackson's assets include his Neverland ranch in the hills above Santa Barbara and homes in Southern California and Las Vegas. Most of Jackson's assets are in musical holdings worth an estimated $450 million, including 200 Beatles titles and songs recorded by Elvis Presley, Forbes reported.]
Here is the link...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/23/jacks ... index.html

What exactly does he own? Does he collect royalties from BMG, and on what songs?

Tony
Last edited by Blue-Gypsy on Sat May 24, 2003 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 24, 2003 2:34 am

That's got to be a mistake.
That fleabag can't have anything to do with Elvis' music!!!
Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Sat May 24, 2003 2:44 am

Must have been a part of his divorce settlement with Lisa Marie - 50% interest in Elvis' estate.

Colin B

Sat May 24, 2003 3:33 am

Good one Colin!!!

Sat May 24, 2003 7:02 am

What they are refferring to is Jackson's buyout of Acuff-Rose publishing firm, which published several tracks recorded by Elvis ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry") for example.

Sat May 24, 2003 8:53 am

carolynlm wrote:This makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.... :x :x :x

Mine to. I can't believe this. :cry:

:evil:

Sat May 24, 2003 10:22 am

...and the Beatles songs, Elvis sang five of them, and MJ owns the publishing to those.

No big whoop. He owns songs recorded by hundreds of artists, yet they choose to single out ELVIS because ELVIS IS KING.

Sat May 24, 2003 10:27 am

The only reason his worth is being reported, cause his ass is going broke. He gonna have to sell some stuff sooner or later. He is up to his eyeballs in debt to SONY!!

Sat May 24, 2003 2:25 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:What they are refferring to is Jackson's buyout of Acuff-Rose publishing firm, which published several tracks recorded by Elvis ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry") for example.

I believe that "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" is one of the tracks that EPE is having problems paying the 'owner' in order that it be included in the proposed 'Aloha DVD'. If Jackson is the owner, he will do his best to prevent this song from being used by asking an exhorbitant amount of money.

Brian

Sat May 24, 2003 6:48 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:What they are refferring to is Jackson's buyout of Acuff-Rose publishing firm, which published several tracks recorded by Elvis ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry") for example.

I believe that "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" is one of the tracks that EPE is having problems paying the 'owner' in order that it be included in the proposed 'Aloha DVD'. If Jackson is the owner, he will do his best to prevent this song from being used by asking an exhorbitant amount of money.

Brian

Brian,

I don't know if it's true or not. It sounds like something MJ would do. ARRRRRGH!

Tom (from Ohio)

Sat May 24, 2003 10:16 pm

Hello,

If I'm not mistaken, the problems regarding "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," and "I Can't Stop Loving You" have been resolved. Problems still persist with "Johnny B. Goode" though for Aloha and problems still exist for "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" for the '68 television special.

Part of the reason the two Acuff-Rose songs ("I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "I Can't Stop Loving You") have been resolved is because Sony/ATV bought out Acuff-Rose a few years ago and EPE was able to negotiate a deal for these two with Sony/ATV when earlier they weren't able to negotiate a deal when the two songs were owned by Acuff-Rose.
A third Acuff-Rose song was included in the Aloha DVDs ("An American Trilogy") but was replaced in the Elvis '56 DVD with "My Way." Probably EPE felt it was necessary to include "An American Trilogy" in the Aloha DVDs but didn't deem it as necessary when it came to the Elvis '56 DVD.

Daryl

Sun May 25, 2003 1:32 am

Daryl -

Your references to "Elvis '56" have got me confused !

"An American Trilogy" & "My Way" weren't on that were they ?

Colin B

Sun May 25, 2003 3:55 am

no rights are owned by MJ

Sun May 25, 2003 4:03 am

Hello ColinB,

If you watch the original Elvis '56 video, at the beginning of the program they show a clip of Elvis singing "Baby What You Want Me To Do" from the '68 television special and a clip of "An American Trilogy" from the Aloha special. When Elvis '56 was released on DVD a few years ago "Baby What You Want Me To Do" stayed in the program while "An American Trilogy" from Aloha was replaced with a excerpt of "My Way" from Aloha.

EPE didn't want to pay for "An American Trilogy" in the Elvis '56 DVD while they did pay for it in Aloha and Alternate Aloha DVDs. Hope that explains it better.

Daryl

Sun May 25, 2003 8:16 am

I read / heard some where that when Jackson signed with Sony , he wanted the song ' Heartbreak Hotel ' thrown into the contract !
Was Jackson successful ! ? I don ' t know ( hey , I just work here ! ) !

Sun May 25, 2003 3:00 pm

Daryl -

Thanks - I'm with you now.

Colin B