POLL _ Never Again - 1976 Original or 1979 Undubbed Master?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Never Again - 1976 Original or 1979 Undubbed Master?

1976 Original
49%
1979 Undubbed
30%
Neither, he shouldn't have recorded the song
22%

Total votes: 37

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

POLL _ Never Again - 1976 Original or 1979 Undubbed Master?

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey my friends,

thanks for the feedback on the recent "For the Heart" and "We Can Make the Morning" polls.

Now which mix on "Never Again" is your go-to ? 1976 overdubbed or 1979 undubbed master from "Our Memories of Elvis" album.

To be honest, it's a song I've ignored for years and years as i use to find it pedestrian and bland.

I only really discovered some five years ago and so now can appreciate Elvis dark intensity (such as "Now that I'm Used to Love, How Can I Stand Alone" verse) and the EP Boulevard album as a whole :D

As for me, I pick the overdub master as my go-to, as the undubbed mix is too plain.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Re: POLL _ Never Again - 1976 Original or 1979 Undubbed Master?

Post by pmp »

The only "go-to" I have for Never Again is the off button. Poor sung, badly arranged, with a singer who was struggling to hold a note. He's got so much vibrato, it sounds like he's singing while sitting on top of a tumble dryer. And when you compare the two versions, you can't win. The overdubbed version is just a tasteless pasting on of a bland overdub arrangement. But if you remove them, then you hear every single intricate issue that was going with Elvis's voice.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 am
The only "go-to" I have for Never Again is the off button. Poor sung, badly arranged, with a singer who was struggling to hold a note. He's got so much vibrato, it sounds like he's singing while sitting on top of a tumble dryer. And when you compare the two versions, you can't win. The overdubbed version is just a tasteless pasting on of a bland overdub arrangement. But if you remove them, then you hear every single intricate issue that was going with Elvis's voice.
...but the key question here is if this opinion will completely change after you hear how it sounds on the Memphis box set this summer :wink:

...and if I ever need a good cry or just drown in my sorrows I slap on FEPBMT :D

pmp

Post by pmp »

sweetangeline wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:22 am
pmp wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:14 am
...but the key question here is if this opinion will completely change after you hear how it sounds on the Memphis box set this summer :wink:

...and if I ever need a good cry or just drown in my sorrows I slap on FEPBMT :D
I have seen no evidence as yet to suggest that such a box is coming out - and considering the amount of discs that would be required, it seems unlikely, not to mention cumbersome and an awkward collection of recordings. A Boy From Tupelo contains the Sun recordings, so why include them in another box? The 1974 Memphis concert has already had a legacy release. The American were dealt with in 2019 through a digital and then FTD release. I see no point in such a set, and I'll be very surprised if it happens.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 am
I have seen no evidence as yet to suggest that such a box is coming out - and considering the amount of discs that would be required, it seems unlikely, not to mention cumbersome and an awkward collection of recordings. A Boy From Tupelo contains the Sun recordings, so why include them in another box? The 1974 Memphis concert has already had a legacy release. The American were dealt with in 2019 through a digital and then FTD release. I see no point in such a set, and I'll be very surprised if it happens.
tagged for future reference :wink:

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by LSP-4445 »

This is a song I dont care much for.
I could vote for the 3rd option but it is better to have it vs not have it…..a completely different matter if a
different song was recorded instead though.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:32 am
I could vote for the 3rd option but it is better to have it vs not have it…..a completely different matter if a

You don't find the song intensely moving at all, like on the verse i described on my OP ?

It's not unlike "It's Easy For You" or "She Thinks I Still Care".

"Never Again" sounds at it's best when listening to the album in context.

Another thing, does it make any of you wonder if he was yearning for Priscilla , sending her vibes when he waxed the songs? I reckon he was.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by LSP-4445 »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 11:48 am
LSP-4445 wrote:

You don't find the song intensely moving at all, like on the verse i described on my OP ?

Another thing, does it make any of you wonder if he was yearning for Priscilla , sending her vibes when he waxed the songs? I reckon he was.
English isnt my first or 2nd language so to be honest I dont pay that much attention to lyrics in songs.
Different matter with songs in my own language.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:56 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:

English isnt my first or 2nd language so to be honest I dont pay that much attention to lyrics in songs.
I see. Thanks, LSP-4445.

well to my ears at least, Elvis on the verse "Now That I'm Used To Love... How Can I Stand Alone" grabs an average song by the scruff of it's neck and takes it to a deeper level, he sounds quite intense at that point.

pmp

Post by pmp »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 9:13 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:56 pm
Walter Hale 4 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:

I see. Thanks, LSP-4445.

well to my ears at least, Elvis on the verse "Now That I'm Used To Love... How Can I Stand Alone" grabs an average song by the scruff of it's neck and takes it to a deeper level, he sounds quite intense at that point.
Possibly not for the right reasons.