Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeTCB
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

For The Heart

Post by MikeTCB »

I really like this song a lot. I am thinking it might be a little underrated, but its one of my favorites that Elvis recorded. I also like that small instrumental break around half way through the song. I just like the way it sounds. Any other fans of this song ?

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Re: For The Heart

Post by brian »

MikeTCB wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:52 am
I really like this song a lot. I am thinking it might be a little underrated, but its one of my favorites that Elvis recorded. I also like that small instrumental break around half way through the song. I just like the way it sounds. Any other fans of this song ?
It's underrated because it wasn't a hit single. Disc jockeys flipped it over and played Hurt instead. If disc jockeys hadn't done that it had potential to be a #1 hit on the country charts like Moody Blue and Way Down were. If that had happened the song would be a little more well known and not so underrated. It wasn't meant to be though. As it is the song is more associated with the Judds because they had a country hit with the song in 1984. It is probably one of the 10 best songs that Elvis recorded in the seventies.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Actually, it was a “Hit”, check out Joe Tunzi’s book, Number Ones for further research.

As for the song, yeah I love it. Elvis sounds like he’s committed and just having fun. Kool ass slide bass line too.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Ciscoking »

Great song..indeed.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by r&b »

It is a good song and one of his best from the 70's and not a cover as far as I know, which makes it even better but if I remember right, the The Billboard ad for this single featured the HURT side, so this was presumed the A side. For The Heart was almost a throwback style that Elvis used with the Jords.

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Post by colonel snow »

The original version was recorded in september 1975 by Teresa Brewer for an album.

colonel snow

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by r&b »

colonel snow wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 pm
The original version was recorded in september 1975 by Teresa Brewer for an album.

colonel snow
ah yes, thanks, I do remember reading that at the time.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

brian wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:02 am
MikeTCB wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:52 am
It's underrated because it wasn't a hit single...
Hmmmm...
hit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ale
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ale »

Love this song.....would have been a cool add for his 76 concerts

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Yes.

martin018
Registered for: 5 years

Post by martin018 »

There is a lovely version by The Judds as well.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by LSP-4445 »

Not a favorite but I do like the overdubbed master.
However I do tend to skip the song when a alternate take
turns up in my playlist or radio streaming.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

Not a fan although i can tolerate take 1.

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Jokerlola »

I still question whether it was supposed to be the A side vs Hurt. When the single came out and I went to buy it the day it was delivered, I was told by the record store owner that Elvis’ new single was “Hurt”. Elvis recorded it Feb. 5-6 and first sang it as his “new record that just came out this past week” on March 17th.

DakotaKid
Registered for: 4 years 10 months

Post by DakotaKid »

Whenever I'm listening to music and 'For The Heart" appears, I hit the skip button.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

I like the song and most of the album.

Especially because it was recorded live.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm
I like the song and most of the album.

Especially because it was recorded live.
heeheehee.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

colonel snow wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 pm

colonel snow

This is inaccurate.

Teresa Brewer's Nashville sessions had to pre-date the release of the lead single and album Unliberated Woman, both of which appeared in April 1975.

Wrote about the original version of "For The Heart" -- produced by Felton Jarvis -- a long while ago:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:47 pm
Given the paucity of up-tempo material at these sessions, "For The Heart" is a breath of fresh air -- nay, a huge gulp of fresh air. Elvis seems reasonably engaged, too. To call it the worst of the bunch is kind of astonishing.

And there is not another song from these dates that was later a success for another act, either.

The Judds debut single, under the new title "Had a Dream (For The Heart)," hit Billboard "Hot Country Singles" #17 in March 1984.

The Judds (Wynonna and Naomi), "Had A Dream (For The Heart)" (RCA PB-13673, November 1983)

Interestingly, how many know that Elvis' 1976 single B-side of "For The Heart" was also a cover?

Teresa Brewer, famous for "Music! Music! Music!" a Billboard US Pop #1 on London 604 in 1950, released "For The Heart" in 1975. The Presley arrangement follows hers, right down to the honky tonk piano fills, which is not surprise since it was produced by . . . Felton Jarvis.

Teresa Brewer "For The Heart" Unliberated Woman (Signature BSL1-0935, April 1975)
https://www.discogs.com/Teresa-Brewer-Unliberated-Woman/release/2928084

Brewer was a very early Presley influence. Her #1 hit in early 1953, "Till I Waltz Again With You," was a song Elvis chose to sing at the April 9, 1953 Humes High "Annual Minstrel" show.

Teresa Brewer, "Till I Waltz Again With You" (Coral 60873, November 29, 1952)
Cash Box "Best Selling Singles" #1, February 7, 1953, Billboard All Charts #1, February 14, 1953.

I wasn't popular in school . . . I failed music, only thing I ever failed. And then they entered me in this talent show . . . when I came onstage I heard people kind of rumbling and whispering and so forth, because nobody knew I even sang. It was amazing how popular I became after that.

- Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley p. 52–53.

It's a small world.

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Hmm the Teresa Brewer single sounds "Laboured"

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Post by colonel snow »

Indeed, the date of recording by Teresa Brewer in september 1975 as mentioned by me is wrong.
The real recording date is unknown but it must be around january 1975 based on the release date from LP
"Unliberated woman" - Signature label BSL1-0935 in april 1975.

colonel snow

CountCanada
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by CountCanada »

One of my favorite tracks from the 1970s. I play it often.

From Wikipedia:

"Had a Dream (For the Heart)" is a song written by Dennis Linde. It was originally recorded by Teresa Brewer as "For the Heart" on her 1975 album, Unliberated Woman, and then covered by Elvis Presley, also as "For the Heart", on his 1976 album From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee. Presley's version, the A-side from the album with "Hurt" as the B-side, peaked at number 45 on the Hot Country Songs charts that year.

The Judds covered the song and released it as their debut single in December 1983, from their debut EP, Wynonna & Naomi. The song reached number 17 on the same chart.

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

CountCanada wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:28 pm
One of my favorite tracks from the 1970s. I play it often.

From Wikipedia:

"Had a Dream (For the Heart)" is a song written by Dennis Linde. It was originally recorded by Teresa Brewer as "For the Heart" on her 1975 album, Unliberated Woman, and then covered by Elvis Presley, also as "For the Heart", on his 1976 album From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee. Presley's version, the A-side from the album with "Hurt" as the B-side, peaked at number 45 on the Hot Country Songs charts that year.

The Judds covered the song and released it as their debut single in December 1983, from their debut EP, Wynonna & Naomi. The song reached number 17 on the same chart.
nice cover (my favorite suit) great song

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

colonel snow wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:20 pm
Indeed, the date of recording by Teresa Brewer in september 1975 as mentioned by me is wrong.
The real recording date is unknown but it must be around january 1975 based on the release date from LP
"Unliberated woman" - Signature label BSL1-0935 in april 1975.

colonel snow

Teresa Brewer's lead single, the album title track "Unliberated Woman," probably got shipped to radio and retail in March, with the full LP in April. A best guess for the sessions would probably be January-February 1975. The first hints of the work appeared in late October 1974.

Maggie Daly

[snip]

TIME FOR TERESA . . . Teresa Brewer, starring in the Empire Room, never has to watch her weight. She is as tiny as can be but is tired of being called "cute as a button" and "perky." Teresa said, "I feel like Betty Boop." Asked what she would like to be called, Teresa said, "voluptuous." She is going to do a record in Nashville for producer Jarvis Felton, an old friend of her husband, Bob Thiele. Felton produces for Elvis and had to get permission to do the Brewer record; he got it because Elvis is a great fan of Teresa's.

Chicago Tribune - Monday, October 28, 1974
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/383926897/

Obviously, we're talking about this album because it contains a song Elvis cut at Graceland in February 1976, but it's interesting to see all the other connections between Teresa's country rock release and Elvis at the time:

• produced by Felton Jarvis
  • engineered by Chip Young
  • recorded at Young 'Un Sound in Murfreesboro, TN (owned by Chip Young)
  • title cut co-written by Shane Keister (would play with Elvis on stage in 1976)
  • other cuts written by Elvis writers (Troy Seals, Larry Gatlin, Dennis Linde)
  • Elvis musicians played (Bobby Wood, Bobby Emmons, Tommy Cogbill, Reggie Young, Johnny Christopher, Charlie McCoy)
  • Photographs by David Hecht (he took the cover shot of Elvis' second LP in 1956!)

Those are a lot of connections!

Sadly, despite all of this, the album was not a hit.

'

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

YDKM wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:10 am
Hmm the Teresa Brewer single sounds "Laboured"
Yes I agree, just played it. Elvis' version is streets ahead of her original.