Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
LesterB
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Elvis Maxi Tours 12” 45RPM ???

Post by LesterB »

I had these years ago but cannot recall what they sounded like. Easy Come, Easy Go is the one that I’m most curious about.

Does anyone have these - thankyou.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JUST FOR TODAY

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Elvis Maxi Tours 12” 45RPM ???

Post by emjel »

I bought them when they first came out - I haven’t listened to them or even seen them in ages - they’re probably up in the loft somewhere. I probably bought them purely because they were a bit different ie 12" records of original EPs, and 12" singles were the rage at the time, although the majority by other artists had just one or two tracks that had quite long playing times, and probably re-mixed, so were different to their regular 7" counterparts.

Looking at them now, I certainly wouldn’t have bought them for the pictures on the sleeves which completely fail to represent the contents. Sound wise, they probably played as good as the U.K. Camden LPs and in mono. So I cannot answer your question about whether they sound better or worse when compared to other releases because such things are down to many variables - To me, life’s too short to spend time attempting to compare every single release within the Elvis catalogue in an attempt to find the very best sounding version of a particular song or songs because it’s just too subjective anyway. What may sound great to me on my equipment might sound amazing to someone else who has lower spec equipment or not so good to someone who has high end equipment.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 11 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

I have the four. They sound really excellent and very dynamic. Kid Galahad and Easy Come Easy Go contain the original mono EP versions. Of all the possible LPs/EPs in my collection, I chose these two to digitize because they simply have a sensational sound. I can really recommend these two.

Tickle me unfortunately contains the stereo LP versions. Despite everything, it's a great sound, Night Rider in particular sounds very cool, but they're not the original mono EP versions.

Jailhouse Rock is a bit superfluous in my opinion, you simply have it in better sound today. I would rather recommend the Audio Fidelity LP from 2012, which has the songs in 33 rpm on one side and 45 rpm on the other.

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

ElSandro68 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:01 am
I have the four. They sound really excellent and very dynamic. Kid Galahad and Easy Come Easy Go contain the original mono EP versions. Of all the possible LPs/EPs in my collection, I chose these two to digitize because they simply have a sensational sound. I can really recommend these two.

Tickle me unfortunately contains the stereo LP versions. Despite everything, it's a great sound, Night Rider in particular sounds very cool, but they're not the original mono EP versions.

Jailhouse Rock is a bit superfluous in my opinion, you simply have it in better sound today. I would rather recommend the Audio Fidelity LP from 2012, which has the songs in 33 rpm on one side and 45 rpm on the other.
Thankyou - exactly the type of information I was after.

JUST FOR TODAY

emjel

Post by emjel »

LesterB wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 pm
ElSandro68 wrote:

I’m curious but if I had told you that they had a dull kind of tinny sound on my small mini speakers, would that have been the kind of info you were looking for.

~

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

emjel wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm
LesterB wrote:
ElSandro68 wrote:

I’m curious but if I had told you that they had a dull kind of tinny sound on my small mini speakers, would that have been the kind of info you were looking for.
In short, records are either dynamic or they or not. Dynamic means that the top end attack of drums and strings have not been rolled off as they normally (not always) are on digital mastering. This is typically coupled with a very tight but full bass.
Some people don’t like this characteristic of sound of course which is fine.

JUST FOR TODAY

emjel

Post by emjel »

LesterB wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:48 pm
emjel wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:34 pm
LesterB wrote:
ElSandro68 wrote:

In short, records are either dynamic or they or not. Dynamic means that the top end attack of drums and strings have not been rolled off as they normally (not always) are on digital mastering. This is typically coupled with a very tight but full bass.
Some people don’t like this characteristic of sound of course which is fine.
Indeed, but you are unlikely to get the benefit of that kind of sound if someone played them on a Crossley record player with low grade speakers. As I wrote previously, I have them and also the same recordings on a variety of Camden LPs and both sounded great to my ears when I listened to them a few decades back and if you want to use the word, then dynamic too. If I played them to the next door neighbour, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two sources and if they played them on their shall we say their lo fi system with hearing them on mine, they'd probably find them a good listen too. A friend who is an Elvis collector bought the very recent MFL release of From Elvis In Memphis and told me it had amazing sound and the best he had heard on that album. Based on that, I bought a copy, but I was somewhat underwhelmed so I am basically re-iterating what I wrote earlier about personal subjectivity..

~

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Somebody else has made a similar point to you:

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116883#p1975779

I wasn’t impressed with the latest MFL FEIM either - the original 1969 Indianapolis press is the definition of dynamic - thwacking drums and fast tight low bass.

JUST FOR TODAY

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by bajo »

Were they French EP'S?

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

bajo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:58 pm
Were they French EP'S?
Yes

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

ElSandro68 wrote:

Just received Easy Come Easy Go - very pleased and agree with your perception of the pressing. Thank you.

NB The EP still retains the limitations of the original cheapo recording session BUT is very detailed and dynamic - a very exciting listen.

JUST FOR TODAY

ElSandro68
Registered for: 2 years 11 months

Post by ElSandro68 »

I'm glad that you like the way they sound. Happy listening!