Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tornado
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Tender Feeling = Shenandoah?

Post by Tornado »

Can anybody help me about the relation between the beautiful ballad Tender Feeling very similar to the air Shenandoah? I was under the impression since a long time that it was inspired from a song from a Musical before Elvis recorded it in 1963. I thought Oklahoma. But it seems I was wrong all the way. Since the musical Shenandoah itself was created in 1974, with the air very similar to the song Tender Feeling, it’s looks improbable the composer took it from the 1963 song Elvis sang in the Kissing Cousins movie. Hence my question.

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Tender Feeling = Shenandoah?

Post by colonel snow »

For the history of the song:

https://davidneale.eu/elvis/originals/list8.html#S1483

colonel snow

Topic author
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

colonel snow wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:15 pm

colonel snow
Thank you so much for this very well documented link I will explore from now on.

All the best friend

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tornado wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:58 pm
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

Thank you so much for this very well documented link I will explore from now on.

All the best friend

You'll find that the Presley songwriting group plundered public domain melodies from the very beginning, such as "Aura Lee" being repurposed for "Love Me Tender" back in 1956. One that always sticks out is "Greensleeves" being the basis of "Stay Away," cut by Presley in 1968.

Creativity was often subverted by this practice, it's kind of sad.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:03 pm
Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend

You'll find that the Presley songwriting group plundered public domain melodies from the very beginning, such as "Aura Lee" being repurposed for "Love Me Tender" back in 1956. One that always sticks out is "Greensleeves" being the basis of "Stay Away," cut by Presley in 1968.

Creativity was often subverted by this practice, it's kind of sad.
So true. I was always disappointed to see how Elvis was still trapped into the gimmicks of the Colonel’s financial dealings. Especially after the 68 Comeback Special where there was hope for a real improvement in choice of fresh new contemporary material. With that magnificent voice he was gifted with he slowly and willingly became a man of a glorious past, instead of a creative present and futur. Still, Elvis remains a unique, a one of a kind in its own way that gave a bouquet of joy in our tormented world. I always come back to Follow That Dream

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend
Bizarrely, all of the movie tracks on Burning Love and Hits from the Movies dirive from folk songs or classical music:

Tender Feeling: Shenandoah (folk song)
Am I Ready: To a Wild Rose (classical composition by MacDowell)
Tonight Is So Right For Love: Barcarolle (from Die Rheinnixen, and then Tales of Hoffmann, by Offenbach)
Guadaljara (folk song)
No More: La Paloma (Spanish song by Iradier)
Santa Lucia: Neopolitan song, unknown composer
We'll Be Together: Carmen Carmela (traditional song)
I Love Only One Girl (traditional song)

There are many others
Love Me Tender: Aura Lee (traditional)
Today Tomorrow and Forever: Liebestraum (Liszt)
Tonight's So Right For Love: Tales from Vienna Woods (J. Strauss Jr)
Five Sleepy Heads: Brahms' Lullaby
Surrender: Torna a Surriento (Neopolitan song by de Curtis)
It's Now or Never: O Sole Mio (Neopolitan song by di Capua)

There are more, plus songs more loosely based on classical pieces or folk songs, but that don't follow the medley in its entirety, including Can't Help Falling in Love (Plaisir d'amour) and Padre (La Paloma Azul).

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by Markus K. »

I really like Judy Garland singing this song on her show. It was the first time I became aware that "Tender Feeling" was based on this old song.

"Shenandoah" starts at the 23:45 mark in the video.

And here's the version as standalone file for the keeping for those interested.

Judy_Garland_Shenandoah_The_Judy_Garland_Show_medium.mp4

When "Kissin' Cousins" was released on FTD it featured the instrumental take 1 of "Tender Feeling" - take 2 was selected for the master and Elvis later overdubbed this take for the record master.
In comparison take 1 has a slightly different approach and speed and also features some beautiful piano play by Floyd Cramer which was unfortunately discarded for take 2.
Among others, FECC user luckyjackson tried his hand on combining Elvis vocal overdubbed to this take 1 and had a version with the raw vocals and a bit later one with added slight studio vocal reverb.
If I want to listen to this song I will always choose his mixes of this song as I much prefer this to the offical master.
As a bonus both mixes are added for those who have missed it when he first made these available here.

Tender Feeling (New Overdub by luckyjackson1) (Refined).mp3
Tender Feeling (New Overdub, Remix) (2020).mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

pmp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm
Bizarrely, all of the movie tracks on Burning Love and Hits from the Movies dirive from folk songs or classical music
...did you just give credit to this album in the Presley canon?? just curious :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

What a really nice post to share with us.

Although not a fan of home manipulations, the "Tender Feeling" re-do is good. At this last Nashville date with brilliant engineer Bill Porter it's true: Floyd Cramer delivered some nice little flourishes on the first take.

As on the master recording, Grady Martin (maybe) also plays some very nice guitar fills throughout, each time "answering" Cramer's part.

I wonder who made the call to use take two when Elvis overdubbed his vocals at MGM in Culver City on October 10th?

Elvis' vocal was superb, if only the song were just a little bit better. Well, it's still one of the soundtrack numbers still worth a listen sixty years on. There is kind of a wistfulness listening today, a sound and a style long gone. A piece of music recorded about seven weeks before the world became less innocent forever.

Elvis Presley "Tender Feeling" Kissin' Cousins (RCA Victor 2894, March 28, 1964)
Billboard "Top 200" #6, May 02, 1964, Cash Box "Top 100" #8, May 02, 1964

Markus K. wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:44 pm
I really like Judy Garland singing this song on her show. It was the first time I became aware that "Tender Feeling" was based on this old song.

When "Kissin' Cousins" was released on FTD it featured the instrumental take 1 of "Tender Feeling" - take 2 was selected for the master and Elvis later overdubbed this take for the record master.
In comparison take 1 has a slightly different approach and speed and also features some beautiful piano play by Floyd Cramer which was unfortunately discarded for take 2.
Among others, FECC user luckyjackson tried his hand on combining Elvis vocal overdubbed to this take 1 and had a version with the raw vocals and a bit later one with added slight studio vocal reverb.
If I want to listen to this song I will always choose his mixes of this song as I much prefer this to the offical master.
As a bonus both mixes are added for those who have missed it when he first made these available here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

pmp

Post by pmp »

sweetangeline wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm
pmp wrote:
Bizarrely, all of the movie tracks on Burning Love and Hits from the Movies dirive from folk songs or classical music
...did you just give credit to this album in the Presley canon?? just curious :wink:
Nope, just stating facts, although it's an improvement on the previous Hits from the Movies effort. But the programming of Burning Love LP is odd. Those eight songs all coming from the same type of source can't be a coincidence, but why do it? There's no mention of it on the artwork, and all of those songs were adapted by writers who would need to get their share of royalties just as much as a composer of a wholly original movie song. So, it's not a cheaper way of putting the album together, and it's not used as a selling point - although perhaps it could have been used as a way of boasting the album had a theme of some sort. So why not just chuck any group of 8 movie songs on there?

It's a very strange decision, and I wonder if those 8 songs were perhaps planned for a different Camden release - a type of "Elvis goes Classical" compilation - which was then abandoned in the early stages of putting it together, and then the songs were dumped onto the Burning Love album instead. That wouldn't be all that much of a different situation than the after-Aloha songs chosen for album release in 1973, then abandoned, and then shoved on the Maholo Camden album after Elvis died.

Either way, an "Elvis goes Classical" is about the only themed compilation album that RCA/BMG/Sony haven't tried, for better or worse.

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 am
"Elvis goes Classical"
:wink:
549196961_0d64e716-1b65-45ae-a8a0-001e4efe579e.jpg

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

pmp

Post by pmp »

Swedish wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 am
pmp wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 am
"Elvis goes Classical"
:wink:
Thankfully, not quite what I was thinking of!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Markus K. wrote:
I really like what luckyjackson has done with that mix (the one with less reverb). Sounds as good or maybe even better than the master to me. There's been some great fan creations on this forum over the years!!

Thanks for posting, Markus!!!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes we'll done 'lucky jackson' a nice sound to a nice song

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

paede39
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by paede39 »

don't forget "Almost in Love", originally an instrumental, composed and released by brasilian artist Luiz Bonfà under the title "Moonlight in Rio".

pmp

Post by pmp »

paede39 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 pm
don't forget "Almost in Love", originally an instrumental, composed and released by brasilian artist Luiz Bonfà under the title "Moonlight in Rio".
Yep, with words by the unfortunately-named dentist Randy Starr. Considering Elvis clearly enjoyed the Latin rhythms during the 1960s, it's such a shame that this was his only recording of a piece by a composer who was a genuine master of the style. Instead, we got Tepper and Bennett.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

I have always liked tender feeling and i agree with DJC that take 1's track is superior, about two years ago i had put the master vocal to take 1s instrumental and used it for this video

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

pmp wrote:
Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend
Bizarrely, all of the movie tracks on Burning Love and Hits from the Movies dirive from folk songs or classical music:

Tonight Is So Right For Love: Barcarolle (from Die Rheinnixen, and then Tales of Hoffmann, by Offenbach)
Guadaljara (folk song)

There are many others

There are more, plus songs more loosely based on classical pieces or folk songs, but that don't follow the medley in its entirety, including Can't Help Falling in Love (Plaisir d'amour) and Padre (La Paloma Azul).
Indeed. Some are known, others less known. I wish he could have push a litle more in that direction like Barbra Streisand in her Classical album.

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by mike edwards66 »

Markus K. wrote:

Very nice. Thank you.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

mike edwards66
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by mike edwards66 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:13 pm
I have always liked tender feeling and i agree with DJC that take 1's track is superior, about two years ago i had put the master vocal to take 1s instrumental and used it for this video
Great job. Thank you.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Topic author
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Tornado wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:11 pm
pmp wrote:
Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend

Guadaljara (folk song)

There are many others

Indeed. Some are known, others less known. I wish he could have push a litle more in that direction like Barbra Streisand in her Classical album.
I might add Could I Fall In Love, inspired by the french song Mes jeunes années by Charles Trenet.

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

pmp wrote:
Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend

Guadaljara (folk song)

There are many others

This is why I enjoy pmp's posts (as well as his EP works/book). :smt020 smt201 :smt045 smt125 smt200 :smt041 THANKS!!

And, as always, hats off smt168 and a salute 🫡 to D. Ward, in Japan.

:smt023

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

that was a very interesting video thanks

pmp

Post by pmp »

Yamaguchi.Y wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:10 am
pmp wrote:
Tornado wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

All the best friend

Guadaljara (folk song)

There are many others

This is why I enjoy pmp's posts (as well as his EP works/book). :smt020 smt201 :smt045 smt125 smt200 :smt041 THANKS!!

And, as always, hats off smt168 and a salute 🫡 to D. Ward, in Japan.

:smt023
Nice how the viewer didn't credit the source for their findings...

Yamaguchi.Y
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

Post by Yamaguchi.Y »

pmp wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:30 pm
Nice how the viewer didn't credit the source for their findings...
Agreed. I thought the exact same thing.

— "Just enjoy yourself, that's what the whole thing's about." (EP, '76)