Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

"Having Fun" for FIFTY Years . . .

Post by drjohncarpenter »

This latest release from Follow That Dream reminded me of the upcoming 50TH anniversary of a very special LP.

240320_Stateline Sahara 1974_Follow That Dream.jpg

Two members heard something familiar from the May 20th show . . .

JohanD wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:13 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:58 am
Played some of the content and I think I heard some dialogue used on the Having Fun On Stage release.
I havent heard that talking album in a loooong time but at one point Elvis replies to the
audience with a long «whaaaaat»
Heard the same thing on new release but it is possible Elvis used this part more than once :roll:

Indeed, on cd 2 "Here's the scarf, there's the towell, there's the kiss".
That is certain among the dialogue on the "Having fun" album...

Yes, we're fast approaching the fiftieth anniversary of the most reviled Presley LP of the 1970s.

Having Fun On Stage With Elvis (Boxcar, August 1974). Virtually nothing but in-between song patter from Elvis. Hilarious ad-libs and so much more. Originally sold under a management imprint during the summer 1974 Vegas season at the Hilton Hotel, someone had the bright idea to reissue it on the RCA label and sell it at retail. Yikes.

Evidence appears to show that RCA's Joan Deary was tasked in July 1974 with editing together the "Elvis talking" segments into a thirty-seven and a half minute album. She used mostly tour soundboards from 1974, and some bits from Las Vegas.

There is no doubt Joan hoped to capitalize on the retail success of January's Elvis: A Legendary Performer, Volume 1, which was her first major assignment from RCA. If more success followed, perhaps she would be given even more Elvis titles to create.

So, if management needed a pile of soundboard the tapes to be reviewed and edited into a "taking only" album, she was more than willing to accept that role. And now thanks to FTD in 2024, we know she chose a few from Lake Tahoe.

Deary covered 'em all: on tour, Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe!

Sources identified to date:

03 Aug 1969 DS, Las Vegas
22 Aug 1969 MS, Las Vegas
24 Aug 1969 MS, Las Vegas

02 Sep 1973 DS, Las Vegas

27 Jan 1974, Las Vegas

16 Mar 1974 AS, Memphis
20 Mar 1974, Memphis

11 May 1974 ES, Inglewood
19 May 1974 DS, Lake Tahoe
20 May 1974 MS, Lake Tahoe
25 May 1974 DS, Lake Tahoe

15 Jun 1974 AS, Fort Worth
15 Jun 1974 ES, Fort Worth
16 Jun 1974 AS, Fort Worth
16 Jun 1974 ES, Fort Worth
17 Jun 1974, Baton Rouge
19 Jun 1974, Amarillo
21 Jun 1974, Cleveland
23 Jun 1974 AS, Philadelphia
23 Jun 1974 ES, Philadelphia
25 Jun 1974, Columbus
26 Jun 1974, Louisville
27 Jun 1974, Bloomington
29 Jun 1974 AS, Kansas City
30 Jun 1974 ES, Omaha

01 Jul 1974, Omaha

Billboard's review of the RCA reissue expressed a few reservations.

Billboard Oct 19 1974 p66_DETAIL.jpg
Billboard - October 19, 1974

"This one is really for hard core fans . . . interesting idea."

Cash Box's review of the Boxcar title (!) was absolutely gushing . . . did the Colonel help?

Cash Box Sep 14 1974_p22_DETAIL.jpg
Cash Box - September 14, 1974

"the personal charisma and savoire faire of . . . the king of rock 'n roll shines brightly"

It boggles the mind that this LP ever appeared at all, and it did nothing to allay the impression that the guy who put out striking, important and commercial singles and albums between 1968 and 1971 no longer cared. But . . . it's all part of the story.

Will RCA do something special for the GOLDEN anniversary? We shall see. August is only four months away.

:wink:

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:58 am, edited 5 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Re: "Having Fun" for FIFTY Years . . .

BONUS BOXCAR

The album is indeed . . . online.

For those who care, here are identified -- and some still unknown -- segments of this precious Presley platter:

Side A

Various stage comments Las Vegas, 8-24-1969 MS

[Piano intro "I Can't Stop Loving You"] Las Vegas, 1-27-1974

“We don’t care what they like” Las Vegas, 9-02-1973 MS

“Hound Dog" intro . . . "Warthog . . . " Las Vegas, 9-04-1972 DS

“Well . . . what?” Lake Tahoe, 5-19-1974 DS

“Birthday, scarf, Granny” (?)

“Towel, scarf, there's the kiss” Lake Tahoe, 5-20-1974 MS

“I go on about you too” (?)

"Life story" monologue Las Vegas, 8-03-1969 DS

“List of 228 songs” (?)

“Like to do a medley” Las Vegas, 8-03-1969 DS

“We're gonna sing a lot of songs and whistle . . . enjoy yourselves . . . [piano intro "Tryin' to Get to You"] . . . Memphis, Missouri . . . is there people up there? . . . he goes down to a low flat . . . Chinese guy” Kansas City, 6-29-1974 AS

“I'm the NBC Peacock” Fort Worth, 6-15-1974 AS

“Well, well, well, WHAT? . . . shouldn’t laugh at a handicap, folks . . . England loves you? I thought I was in Texas” Fort Worth, 6-16-1974 ES

“Your mother wants a scarf?” (?)

“Look at my little red things in my pants . . . is that him?” Las Vegas, 8-03-1969 DS

“You know what I can’t do?” (?)

“Hello, 'a couple of people in the audience'” (?)

“Getting a little wild here, boy” Las Vegas, 8-22-1969 MS

“On the piano is Colonel Parker . . . Well . . . that's all, folks” Lake Tahoe, 5-25-1974 DS

Side B

“Hope I can get my mouth to work right” Kansas City, 6-29-1974 ES

“Sorry, folks . . . my Fruit of the Loom is too tight . . . put him on TV, hot damn” (?)

"After the show, honey . . . let me get another 'well' out” Fort Worth, 6-16-1974 AS

“We got lucky and all of us ended together that time, for a change” (?)

“Say, what time's the show start?" Fort Worth, 6-16-1974 AS

“Wait a minute, I've just one, and there’s four of you, see?” (?)

“Listen to the crazed bass singer . . . you sound like you're in a good mood . . . my belt's falling off, my suit’s getting too big . . . I'm from Tupelo, Texas . . . since today is Father's Day . . . we've done four shows here and the audiences we've had are some of the best" Fort Worth, 6-16-1974 ES

“Shreveport, Tennessee, just kidding, look I've got my tiger, right next to the eagle . . . let me just walk around, honey, I’m awfully sweaty . . . lay it on me kid . . . I brought 'em from Shreveport . . . oh God, do I love you honey . . . Glen, I didn't give you the cue yet” Baton Rouge, 6-17-1974

“After I do 200 or 300 songs I'll be back there . . . can’t help you, kid . . . voice was much higher . . . strip my gears” Amarillo, 6-19-1974 ES

“Honey, I will be right over there IN A MOMENT, just hang loose, child” (?)

"Come on down!" [reference to "The Price Is Right" game show] Cleveland, 6-21-1974

"'Turn around, turn around' . . . I gotta sing two and a half songs, then I'll turn around . . . well . . . if that's all I got to do, I got it made, man . . . this twitch I developed, I get 'em all going at once, they'll put me in a straightjacket” Louisville, 6-26-1974

“Don’t do that again . . . just sit and laugh at me” (?)

“My first movie was 'Turn Around' . . . thank you very much, I'd like to apologize because the band got lost that time” Louisville, 6-26-1974

“You know what I can’t do? [piano intro "I Can't Stop Loving You] I forgot” Fort Worth, 6-15-1974 ES

“I don't think I've ever played this place before . . . you're really a fantastic audience” (?)

“I heard somebody ask me the very first thing I recorded . . . 'That’s All Right, Mama' . . . I got a big grapevine that swings . . . my scarf’s got fuzz on it . . . you know what I can’t do? [piano intro "I Can't Stop Loving You"] all three of them at once” Bloomington, 6-27-1974

“I know what you're thinking, 'turn around' . . . I was welling” Omaha, 7-01-1974

"There are people out here, a whole bunch of folks” Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES

"Okay honey . . . time out, I got to sign this hound dog" (?)

"The last time we were here we had a fantastic time, but this time was much better, really" Philadelphia, 6-23-1974 AS

“This next song was one of my first records, that I did when I was a mere child” (?)

“I'm just getting ready to start a song and you give me a sucker. Oh, it's a rose” (?)

“You ain’t . . . you ain't, you ain't, you ain't, you ain't . . .” Inglewood, 5-11-1974 ES

“I'll be over there in a minute, just hang loose. I'll get wahooed and then be over there.” (?)

"You know what I can't do? [piano intro "I Can't Stop Loving You"] (?)

“Hello, Memphis . . . a pleasure to be home here” Memphis, 3-16-1974 AS

“Person cannot return to their hometown” Memphis, 3-20-1974

“People ask questions . . .” Omaha, 7-01-1974

“Geranium flowers . . . thank you for the flowers, and the little bear” Philadelphia, 6-23-1974 ES

“Wait a minute, I'm very serious what is that? . . . a gold record . . . hello up there” Columbus, 6-25-1974

“Ain’t it funny (mock laughs) . . .” Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES

“I’ve been traveling (laughs), oh, there goes twenty years down the drain, boy . . . been a pleasure laughing with you” Columbus, 6-25-1974

“Time out. You know what I can't do? [piano intro "I Can't Stop Loving You"] Get my belt tightened up.” Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES

“Well, well, well . . . that's it, thank you very much.” Columbus, 6-25-1974 ES

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed May 08, 2024 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

This response is inspired by my recent post "Elvis in one word" this LP is a total;

embarrassment

...and those reviews... :wtf:

PetriTCB
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by PetriTCB »

The Colonel and RCA Records made an agreement, that Boxcar Records releases an album, which name became Having Fun with Elvis on Stage and it would be available as LPs, 8-tracks and cassettes too. These were made by RCA Custom Records label. Later RCA Records would released the album on their's own records label as a part of 2 albums and 4 singles per year contract.

The Colonel ask for RCA Records to deliver all available concert recordings, but because of low dialogue contest amount he asked audio engineer Bruce Jackson delivers soundboard tapes from Elvis' concerts. When enough material was available, Ed Bonja's two brothers mixed an audio compilation.
According to Peter Guralnick's and Ernst Jorgensens's book Elvis - Day by Day "The deal to which RCA somewhat inexplicably agrees commits the record company to manufacturing the album through its Custom Record division, paying Elvis a fifty-cent royalty per album on all concert sales with a commitment to distribute the album worldwide at some point in the near future and to pay a guaranteed advance of $100,000 against royalties."

RCA released Having Fun with Elvis on Stage album on October 1974 and it's peak on Billboard's Top Selling LPs chart was number 130. It sold over 130,000 copies being a regular priced release. Because of "a talking album only" status there were not reason to pay anykind copyright fees, so at least in this case it was a financial succes to RCA! And Having Fun with Elvis on Stage is the only top 10 talking album ever, which have been in Billboard's Hot Country LPs being number 9.

Previously made information came from Ed Bonja. He didn't remember that in which studio the recording was made and how many albums were made, but Boxcar made only one pressing.

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:39 pm
BONUS BOXCAR

The album is indeed . . . online.

For those who care, here are identified and unknown segments of this precious Presley platter:

Side A
Various clips (Las Vegas, 8-24-1969 MS)
Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You" (?)
“We don’t care what they like” (Las Vegas, 9-02-1973 MS)
“Hound Dog" intro (?)
“Well . . . what?” (?)
“Birthday, scarf, Granny” (?)
“Towel, scarf, there's the kiss” (Lake Tahoe, 5-20-1974 MS)
“I go on about you too” (?)
"life story" monologue (Las Vegas, 8-03-1969 DS)
“List of 228 songs” (?)
“like to do a medley” (Las Vegas, 8-xx-1969)
“We're gonna sing a lot of songs and whistle . . . enjoy yourselves” (?)
Piano intro, "Tryin' to Get to You” (?)
“Memphis, Missouri” (?)
“Is there people up there?” (?)
“He goes down to a low flat . . . Chinese guy” (?)
“I'm the NBC Peacock” (Kansas City, 6-29-1974 AS)
“Well, well, well, WHAT?” (?)
“Shouldn’t laugh at a handicap, folks” (?)
“England loves you? I thought I was in Texas” (?)
“Your mother wants a scarf?” (?)
“Look at my little red things in my pants . . . is that him?” (Las Vegas, 8-xx-1969 MS)
“You know what I can’t do?” (?)
“Hello, a couple of people in the audience” (?)
“Getting a little wild here, boy” (Las Vegas, 8-24-1969 MS)
“On the piano is Colonel Parker” (?)
“Well . . . that's all, folks” (?)

Side B
“Hope I can get my mouth to work right” (?)
“Sorry, folks . . . my Fruit of the Loom is too tight . . . put him on TV, hot damn” (?)
"After the show, honey . . . let me get another 'well' out” (?)
“We got lucky and all of us ended together that time, for a change” (?)
“Say, what time the show start?" (?)
“Wait a minute, I've just one, and there’s four of you, see?” (?)
“Listen to the crazed bass singer . . . you sound like you're in a good mood” (?)
“My belt's falling off, my suit’s getting too big” (?)
“I'm from Tupelo, Texas . . . since today is Father's Day” (Fort Worth, 6-16-1974 AS or ES)
“we've done four shows here and the audiences we've had are some of the best" (?)
“Shreveport, Tennessee, just kidding, look I've got my tiger, right next to the eagle” (?)
“Let me just walk around, honey, I’m awfully sweaty . . . lay it on me kid” (?)
“I brought 'em from Shreveport . . . oh God, do I love you honey . . . Glen, I didn't give you the cue yet” (?)
“After I do 200 or 300 songs I'll be back there . . . can’t help you, kid . . . voice was much higher . . . strip my gears” (Amarillo, 6-19-1974 ES)
“Honey, I will be right over there IN A MOMENT, just hang loose, child” (?)
"Come on down!" (?)
"'Turn around, turn around' . . . I gotta sing two and a half songs, then I'll turn around" (?)
"Well . . . if that's all I got to do, I got it made, man" (?)
“This twitch I developed, I get 'em all going at once, they'll put me in a straightjacket” (?)
“Don’t do that again . . . just sit and laugh at me” (?)
“My first movie was turn around” (?)
“Thank you very much, I'd like to apologize because the band got lost that time” (?)
“You know what I can’t do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] I forgot.” (?)
“I don't think I've ever played this place before . . . you're really a fantastic audience” (?)
“I heard somebody ask me the very first thing I recorded . . . 'That’s All Right, Mama'" (Bloomington, 6-27-1974)
“I got a big grapevine that swings . . . my scarf’s got fuzz on it” (?)
“You know what I can’t do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] All three of them at once.” (?)
“I know what you're thinking, 'turn around' . . . I was welling” (Omaha, 7-01-1974)
"There are people out here, a whole bunch of folks” (?)
"Okay honey . . . time out, I got to sign this hound dog" (?)
"The last time we were here we had a fantastic time, but this time was much better, really" (?)
“This next song was one of my first records, that I did when I was a mere child” (?)
“I'm just getting ready to start a song and you give me a sucker. Oh, it's a rose” (?)
“You ain’t . . . you ain't, you ain't, you ain't, you ain't . . .” (?)
“I'll be over there in a minute, just hang loose. I'll get wahooed and then be over there.” (?)
"You know what I can't do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] (?)
“Hello, Memphis . . . a pleasure to be home here” (Memphis, 3-16-1974 AS)
“Person cannot return to their hometown” (Memphis, 3-20-1974)
“People ask questions . . .” (Omaha, 7-01-1974)
“geranium flowers . . . thank you for the flowers, and the little bear” (?)
“Wait a minute, I'm very serious what is that? . . . a gold record” (Columbus, 6-25-1974)
"Hello up there” (?)
“Ain’t it funny (mock laughs) . . .” (?)
“I’ve been traveling (laughs), oh, there goes twenty years down the drain, boy . . . been a pleasure laughing with you” (?)
“Time out. You know what I can't do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] Get my belt tightened up.” (?)
“Well, well, well . . . that's it, thank you very much.” (?)

Might be able to make known some of those unknowns for you doc!
"Look at the little red things in my pants and say is that him?" while introducing Hound Dog: "The Return to Vegas" FTD
"It's gettin' a little wild up here boy" after Yesterday/Hey Jude: Aug. 22 '69 MS
"Memphis Missouri" likely Kansas City June 29, '74 A/S.
"NBC Peacock": Is actually from the "Man In White" boot. Fort Worth, June 15 '74 A/S.
"England Loves You"?/"Shouldn't laugh at a handicap folks": Fort Worth June 16 '74 E/S
"Well...that's all folks?"/On the piano is Colonel Parker": Lake Tahoe NV, May 25, '74 D/S.

Side 2
"Tupelo Texas"/"Since today is Fathers Day" is from the June 16 E/S.
"Shreveport, Tennessee" after Love Me, "I'm awfully sweaty lay it on me" after Polk Salad Annie, "Glen I didn't Give the cue yet": Baton Rouge LA, June 17, 1974
"Come on down" after Let Me Be There: Cleveland OH, June 21 '74.
"You ain't, you ain't, you ain't... Los Angeles CA, May 11 '74 E/S.

I hope this helps.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

PetriTCB wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:36 am
The Colonel and RCA Records made an agreement, that Boxcar Records releases an album, which name became Having Fun with Elvis on Stage and it would be available as LPs, 8-tracks and cassettes too. These were made by RCA Custom Records label. Later RCA Records would released the album on their's own records label as a part of 2 albums and 4 singles per year contract.

The Colonel ask for RCA Records to deliver all available concert recordings, but because of low dialogue contest amount he asked audio engineer Bruce Jackson delivers soundboard tapes from Elvis' concerts. When enough material was available, Ed Bonja's two brothers mixed an audio compilation.
According to Peter Guralnick's and Ernst Jorgensens's book Elvis - Day by Day "The deal to which RCA somewhat inexplicably agrees commits the record company to manufacturing the album through its Custom Record division, paying Elvis a fifty-cent royalty per album on all concert sales with a commitment to distribute the album worldwide at some point in the near future and to pay a guaranteed advance of $100,000 against royalties."

RCA released Having Fun with Elvis on Stage album on October 1974 and it's peak on Billboard's Top Selling LPs chart was number 130. It sold over 130,000 copies being a regular priced release. Because of "a talking album only" status there were not reason to pay anykind copyright fees, so at least in this case it was a financial succes to RCA! And Having Fun with Elvis on Stage is the only top 10 talking album ever, which have been in Billboard's Hot Country LPs being number 9.

Previously made information came from Ed Bonja. He didn't remember that in which studio the recording was made and how many albums were made, but Boxcar made only one pressing.

Making #9 on the Billboard "Hot County LPs" chart is a small miracle, given the quality of the album. But several "talking albums" before and after have not only made the top ten of the Billboard 200, but all the way to #1:

Bob Newhart
The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart (1960) - #1
The Button-Down Mind Strikes Back! (1960) - #1

Vaughn Meader
The First Family (1962) - #1

Cheech & Chong
Big Bambu (1972) #2
Los Cochinos (1973) #2
Wedding Album (1974) #2

Steve Martin
Let’s Get Small (1977) #10
A Wild And Crazy Guy (1978) #2

Robin Williams
Reality…What A Concept (1979) #10

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Way Down Under wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:51 am
Might be able to make known some of those unknowns for you doc!
"Look at the little red things in my pants and say is that him?" while introducing Hound Dog: "The Return to Vegas" FTD
"It's gettin' a little wild up here boy" after Yesterday/Hey Jude: Aug. 22 '69 MS
"Memphis Missouri" likely Kansas City June 29, '74 A/S.
"NBC Peacock": Is actually from the "Man In White" boot. Fort Worth, June 15 '74 A/S.
"England Loves You"?/"Shouldn't laugh at a handicap folks": Fort Worth June 16 '74 E/S
"Well...that's all folks?"/On the piano is Colonel Parker": Lake Tahoe NV, May 25, '74 D/S.

Side 2
"Tupelo Texas"/"Since today is Fathers Day" is from the June 16 E/S.
"Shreveport, Tennessee" after Love Me, "I'm awfully sweaty lay it on me" after Polk Salad Annie, "Glen I didn't Give the cue yet": Baton Rouge LA, June 17, 1974
"Come on down" after Let Me Be There: Cleveland OH, June 21 '74.
"You ain't, you ain't, you ain't... Los Angeles CA, May 11 '74 E/S.

I hope this helps.

Very cool, thanks.

Added to the original post!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

PetriTCB wrote:

After reading this I will stick to what I previously stated.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

What an excellent and VERY interesting thread!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

Interesting thought about 50 years since "Having Fun".., but please keep it to the FTD label !! Even the original LP was for hardcore fans only.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

PetriTCB wrote:

I believe I’ve read somewhere that the Col. was able to sell 80,000 copies of this “album” at concerts as a souvenir.

It was, at the time, the only place where you can actually hear Elvis briefly talk about his career from his own perspective and to me, it had merit.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

GaryP
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by GaryP »

Much like the audio equivalent of buying a car sight unseen or perhaps the cover looked ‘interesting’. Expecting some ‘fun’ I can only imagine the letdown once the needle hit the wax.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

I've figured out a few here.

Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You" (Las Vegas, 1-27-1974)

“Let me just walk around, honey, I’m awfully sweaty . . . lay it on me kid” (Baton Rouge, 6-17-1974)

“My first movie was turn around” (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

“Thank you very much, I'd like to apologize because the band got lost that time” (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

“You know what I can’t do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] I forgot.” (Fort Worth, 6-15-1974 ES)

"There are people out here, a whole bunch of folks” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

"Hello up there” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) I think I can just about hear it on the AR.

“Ain’t it funny (mock laughs) . . .” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

“I’ve been traveling (laughs), oh, there goes twenty years down the drain, boy . . . been a pleasure laughing with you” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) I can just about hear the false start and "there goes twenty years down the drain, boy" on that poor AR.

“Time out. You know what I can't do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] Get my belt tightened up.” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

“Well, well, well . . . that's it, thank you very much.” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) Again, I think I can just about hear it on the AR.

There's a few more which I think I know but very unsure about.

AndyDumas
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by AndyDumas »

Maybe Matt Ross-Spang can take a stab at improving the audio!

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

Just strange that this album was over 37 minutes when an average Elvis studio album would barely clock in at 30

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Also interesting that so much audio was from the June/July 1974 tour! ::rocks
Last edited by YDKM on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

PetriTCB
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by PetriTCB »

YDKM wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:44 pm
Also interesting that so much audio was from the June 1974 tour!
Yes, that's interesting. The last audio take seems to be taken from Omaha, NE on July 2nd, 1974 and the album was available in Las Vegas, NV on August 19th, 1974.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

PetriTCB wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:55 pm
YDKM wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:44 pm
Also interesting that so much audio was from the June 1974 tour!
Yes, that's interesting. The last audio take seems to be taken from Omaha, NE on July 2nd, 1974 and the album was available in Las Vegas, NV on August 19th, 1974.
Salt Lake City was July 2nd.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I have nothing to really add to the thread as it has been covered nicely by the posts above. However it's been an interesting and informative read. Thanks to all who searched and posted the information about this...."interesting" release.
I must confess, as a kid I used to listen to this a lot as I thought it was funny and there weren't many real recordings at that time of Elvis talking.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

On second thought, I do believe the section which starts, "Last time we were here we had a fantastic time....." is from the 6/23/74 Philadelphia show, I believe the afternoon show....,

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

And like wow Joan Deary really gave the fans VALUE for $ if it runs for a lengthy 37 minutes! Tom Parker must have loved the result!

You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

YDKM wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:56 pm
And like wow Joan Deary really gave the fans VALUE for $ if it runs for a lengthy 37 minutes! Tom Parker must have loved the result!

Joan Deary was all about "value for $."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Elvis2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:53 pm
I've figured out a few here.

Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You" (Las Vegas, 1-27-1974)

“Let me just walk around, honey, I’m awfully sweaty . . . lay it on me kid” (Baton Rouge, 6-17-1974)

“My first movie was turn around” (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

“Thank you very much, I'd like to apologize because the band got lost that time” (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

“You know what I can’t do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] I forgot.” (Fort Worth, 6-15-1974 ES)

"There are people out here, a whole bunch of folks” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

"Hello up there” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) I think I can just about hear it on the AR.

“Ain’t it funny (mock laughs) . . .” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

“I’ve been traveling (laughs), oh, there goes twenty years down the drain, boy . . . been a pleasure laughing with you” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) I can just about hear the false start and "there goes twenty years down the drain, boy" on that poor AR.

“Time out. You know what I can't do? [Piano intro, "I Can't Stop Loving You"] Get my belt tightened up.” (Omaha, 6-30-1974 ES)

“Well, well, well . . . that's it, thank you very much.” (Columbus, 6-25-1974) Again, I think I can just about hear it on the AR.

There's a few more which I think I know but very unsure about.

Already got Baton Rouge, added the rest. Thanks!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

AndyDumas wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:35 pm
Maybe Matt Ross-Spang can take a stab at improving the audio!

AndyDumas, don't be cruel.

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:09 pm
I have nothing to really add to the thread as it has been covered nicely by the posts above. However it's been an interesting and informative read. Thanks to all who searched and posted the information about this...."interesting" release.
I must confess, as a kid I used to listen to this a lot as I thought it was funny and there weren't many real recordings at that time of Elvis talking.

You're welcome. I spent way more time on this 1974 monstrosity than I should have. Another crazy fan here on FECC . . .

rlj4ep wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:12 pm
On second thought, I do believe the section which starts, "Last time we were here we had a fantastic time....." is from the 6/23/74 Philadelphia show, I believe the afternoon show....,

Added, thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.