"Having Fun" for FIFTY Years . . .

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: "Having Fun" for FIFTY Years . . .

Post by YDKM »

i certainly cannot ever see a reason why FTD would ever want to release say an 'expanded' Talking album of twice the running time as why? The latest FTD Tahoe soundboards have more examples from the original album and from existing soundboards any fan can compile more them selves!
so i simply can never see any reason for a FTD type of release of 'Elvis having fun on stage' and maybe the ONLY reason would be putting in unreleased soundboard snippets of Elvis talking and why would anyone buy that?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

The only way FTD should approach a "Having Fun" release, it will never happen obviously, they should just do a best of 1974 considering most of the audio is from June of that year, take some of the funnier snippets and mix them in with the best and more interesting performances of the year, that way we get a decent compilation out of it. It could be a nice alternative for those that don't really care for endless soundboard releases and just want a single disc to represent that particular year.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes out of various material chosen from the first half of 1974 it is quite amazing just how much is sourced from that June/July tour!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

YDKM wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:30 am
Yes out of various material chosen from the first half of 1974 it is quite amazing just how much is sourced from that June/July tour!

They had to have been the biggest pile of tapes sent to Joan Deary from management.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 am
Mike C wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:31 am
Keep . . .

You're wrong, don't derail this topic.

It has a lot of NEW information and many here are enjoying it.

:smt006
Yes I was enjoying it, too. I think I'm right and you think your'e right. Let's leave it there.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:22 am
The only way FTD should approach a "Having Fun" release, it will never happen obviously, they should just do a best of 1974 considering most of the audio is from June of that year, take some of the funnier snippets and mix them in with the best and more interesting performances of the year, that way we get a decent compilation out of it. It could be a nice alternative for those that don't really care for endless soundboard releases and just want a single disc to represent that particular year.
There is nothing particularly “funny” about the many snippets of 1970’s era dialogue gracing that Boxcar extravaganza. Cringe-worthy? Perhaps. Funny, not so much.

Mister Mike
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mister Mike »

Hey! Welcome back, midnightx! :smt006 Nice to see you posting again. Five years is too long, man. Hope you'll be sticking around.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I cant remember calling you something like this.
You can Google it for me.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 2 months
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

Mike C wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:34 pm
Eggrert wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 pm
Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they sequenced this album.

Bonus question: What, if any, outtakes were there?
We know Joan reviewed some of the January 1971 soundboards. One of the tape boxes has note from her which "no suitable talking."
Then there's definitely been an oversight when Elvis joked "People in Atlanta when they die, they go Memphis"! January 29 '71 D/S.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am
I cant remember calling you something like this.
You can Google it for me.

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know, Joachim.

Thanks for the put-down, and of course all the help you gave to this topic.

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 am
Elvis2000 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:22 am

There is nothing particularly “funny” about the many snippets of 1970’s era dialogue gracing that Boxcar extravaganza. Cringe-worthy? Perhaps. Funny, not so much.

One man's cringe-worthy is another man's Don Rickles.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Mike C wrote:
Eggrert wrote:

We know Joan reviewed some of the January 1971 soundboards. One of the tape boxes has note from her which "no suitable talking."
One wonders what Joan thought about 9/2/74?

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Axeman »

I think the "Wahooed" line was from one of the Omaha 74 shows. Perhaps July 1st?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:18 pm
Mike C wrote:
Eggrert wrote:

She probably thought to herself, "lots of suitable talking," but deeply regretted she's already delivered the LP master in August.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:17 am
midnightx wrote:
Mike C wrote:
Eggrert wrote:

She probably thought to herself, "lots of suitable talking," but deeply regretted she's already delivered the LP master in August.
Good point. Just think, Joan could have shattered the myth so much earlier, but the timing just wasn't right.

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 2 months
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

I think on the "Having Fun" album, there was still some funny bits there I still can smile at, as well as the edited "Life Story" monologue, but otherwise the material is too random by and large. However I reckon there's room for a more improved and better thought out compilation of on stage dialogue that would make for a worthwhile FTD project, given the concept, because Elvis came out with a lot of funny stuff, like "Whoa, you pull the wrong thing and I'm in trouble boy" from the Dragon Heart FTD. Mix it in with some serious or informative stuff like one of his karate monologues, or Elvis introducing some popular celebrities and artists at his Vegas shows, career highlights like the funds raised for the Kui Lee cancer fund at the Aloha shows and Elvis announcing at the Astrodome that it's the biggest audience he's played to, to date. I'm sure most would disagree with an FTD version of "Having Fun", but given more than enough thought, such a project would really give the listener a fly on the wall experience of the warmth, fun and intrigue at an Elvis show, that singing alone can't provide. Provided it's aimed at a targeted audience, I think nothing should be off the table!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Rob »

I was only twelve when I first heard this album. I may have listened to it twice.

Even as a little bitty kid, I remember thinking, "what the hell?"

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:20 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:17 am
midnightx wrote:

Good point. Just think, Joan could have shattered the myth so much earlier, but the timing just wasn't right.

Luckily, she delivered Elvis Sings for Children and Grownups Too! just four years later.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Way Down Under wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:38 pm
I think on the "Having Fun" album, there was still some funny bits there I still can smile at, as well as the edited "Life Story" monologue, but otherwise the material is too random by and large. However I reckon there's room for a more improved and better thought out compilation of on stage dialogue that would make for a worthwhile FTD project, given the concept, because Elvis came out with a lot of funny stuff, like "Whoa, you pull the wrong thing and I'm in trouble boy" from the Dragon Heart FTD. Mix it in with some serious or informative stuff like one of his karate monologues, or Elvis introducing some popular celebrities and artists at his Vegas shows, career highlights like the funds raised for the Kui Lee cancer fund at the Aloha shows and Elvis announcing at the Astrodome that it's the biggest audience he's played to, to date. I'm sure most would disagree with an FTD version of "Having Fun", but given more than enough thought, such a project would really give the listener a fly on the wall experience of the warmth, fun and intrigue at an Elvis show, that singing alone can't provide. Provided it's aimed at a targeted audience, I think nothing should be off the table!

This would be an enormous amount of work for a very, very tiny target audience. The only way it happens is if everyone works for free.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

GroovinGarrett
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by GroovinGarrett »

I enjoyed this post more than I should have, Dr. John. Thank you, sincerely. I'm not proud to say I can recite most of this album from memory, having grown up with it.

I seem to recall a few tape boxes on @Keith's website having a notation from Joan Deary being checked for the "talking album", but I can't seem to locate them now. Perhaps my memory is failing me. :?

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Rob »

Elvis2000 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm
'Turn around, turn around' . . . I gotta sing two and a half songs, then I'll turn around" (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

"Well . . . if that's all I got to do, I got it made, man" (Louisville, 6-26-1974)

“This twitch I developed, I get 'em all going at once, they'll put me in a straitjacket” (Louisville, 6-26-1974)
I've been pretty tolerant for a long time. However, if the above is true, the Louisville show that I attended as a mere lad is sitting on a shelf somewhere. It needs to be sitting on MY shelf in the near future.

This is not a request. My can opener is in my hand.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

GroovinGarrett wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:02 pm
I enjoyed this post more than I should have, Dr. John. Thank you, sincerely. I'm not proud to say I can recite most of this album from memory, having grown up with it.

I seem to recall a few tape boxes on @Keith's website having a notation from Joan Deary being checked for the "talking album", but I can't seem to locate them now. Perhaps my memory is failing me. :?

This one was a later add to the collection. I recall being kind of shell-shocked by the end of the second side.

What in God's name was that?

Memories.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

GroovinGarrett wrote:

See my post earlier in this thread for a pic of once such tape box.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Jokerlola
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by Jokerlola »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:52 pm
GroovinGarrett wrote:

This one was a later add to the collection. I recall being kind of shell-shocked by the end of the second side.

What in God's name was that?

Memories.
I vividly remember when I first listened to it, it started out with, “Here we go again”. I thought that he was going to go into Johnny B. Goode and then he kept talking and talking and after about 5 minutes went by, I started moving the needle around and flipping to side 2 and moving the needle and not hearing any music. Being shell shocked is an understatement.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well the Vegas August 1969 "monologue" was a KEY part of filling up side 1. ...as was multiple false starts to "I Can't Stop Loving You" helping fill up side 2... :roll:

You Don't Know Me!