Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Touring in the Summer of 1976

Fri May 23, 2003 10:35 pm

Does anyone know of a performance that Elvis gave in the summer of 1976 when he wasn't heavily medicated? (or at least didn't sound that way)
Anything I have heard from July through August barely even sounds like him.
Just curious - SB or audience recording - there has to be at least one decent show???

Fri May 23, 2003 11:04 pm

You should really check out the "Goodbye Memphis" release by Fort Baxter with the Memphis, July 5th. 1976 concert. That´s probably what you´re looking for.

Sincerely MB280E

Fri May 23, 2003 11:17 pm

Hi Elvis-fan -
There is an audience recording in circulation of a show Elvis performed in New Haven Ct. on July 30, 1976. I was at this concert (it was my second, and sadly last, Elvis concert). This was a decent show vocally. The audience recording is in reasonably good sound quality, Elvis' voice isn't tired sounding as it so often was in '76. He sounds alert and focused. The set list is as follows: 2001 theme; C.C. Rider; I Got A Woman/Amen; Love Me; If You Love Me Let Me Know; You Gave Me A Mountain; Help Me; All Shook Up; Teddy Bear-Don't Be Cruel; And I Love You So; America; Jailhouse Rock; Funny How Time Slips Away; band intros plus Early Morning Rain (3 verses); Love Letters; Hurt; Hurt (full reprise); Hound Dog; Hawaiin Wedding Song; Can't Help Falling In Love-end theme. My only disapointment in this show is that he didn't do a fast "gyration" number (Polk Salad Annie; Burning Love; Mystery Train-Tiger Man) and that it lacked a "big" grande finale type of number before CHFIL. But the quality of the performance itself is rather good, he sounds a lot better than on Tuscan 76.

Fri May 23, 2003 11:23 pm

Pete,

Sounds like a show worth looking out for. Just recently got audiance recordings from the August 27th and August 29th AS 1976 performances and those are exactly the oposite of what you are describing :-)

I wonder what happend with Elvis between the show you attended and, for example, the August 1st 1976 performance just two days later.

Must have been fantastic attending an Elvis concert, but anyway, thnx for the tip :D

Regards,
Stefan

Fri May 23, 2003 11:34 pm

stefan kock wrote:Pete,

Sounds like a show worth looking out for. Just recently got audiance recordings from the August 27th and August 29th AS 1976 performances and those are exactly the oposite of what you are describing :-)

I wonder what happend with Elvis between the show you attended and, for example, the August 1st 1976 performance just two days later.

Must have been fantastic attending an Elvis concert, but anyway, thnx for the tip :D

Regards,
Stefan

Probably the same few days as between Omaha/Rapid City and Cincinatti/Indianapolis :cry:

Really weird, just a few days made the difference between an horrible show and an outstanding one...

a profile vol 2

Fri May 23, 2003 11:34 pm

just listen on 1 cd from the boxset a profile the king on stage vol 2....there is 1 cd where elvis is totaly off of this world.......damn he was totaly drugged out! :roll:

marcel from Holland

oups!

Fri May 23, 2003 11:42 pm

sorry , read your message wrong... :shock: :oops:

Fri May 23, 2003 11:54 pm

I attended the Buffalo, June 25,76 show and it was excellent. The audience recording is also very good. One of the highlights was Elvis calling a girl (Barbara) up to the stage and singing Happy Birthday to her.

Sat May 24, 2003 12:03 am

Stefan -
I've never heard that 76 Hampton show, but I've read a number of reviews and it is apparently pretty poor. I take it the main attraction is the off-the-cuff Return To Sender? I can assure you that the New Haven show is rather decent vocally, and worth seeking out.

Sat May 24, 2003 1:20 am

For a fan collecting every soundboard available, it can be a pretty disheartening experience listening to many of the 1976 (and some from 1974 and 1975 :cry: ) soundboards out there. Only a great love and understanding of Elvis (and his then current health problems) make this bearable. For someone thinking 70s Elvis is a joke to begin with, they probably have a good laugh with it, and move on.

But for me (and probably many others) who is emotionally touched by Elvis' decline, it is painful to hear exactly how in a few years his energy, drive, and interest seemed to have detoriated. Too many shows were run-throughs with the same stage-routines night after night. Take your pick at the import list. An exception of course being the late december '76 concerts as found on FTD's "New Years Eve", Fort Baxter's "A Hot winter night in Dallas" and 2001's "Burning in Burmingham".

The '76 soundboards may not always be representative of the global ambiance in the concert building/showroom, but they do bare testimony to what was happening on stage, everything is for the whole world to hear, it's all pretty brutal and : the drugged and slurred monologues, the lazy singing, the boring sameness of the set-list... Mostly only a couple of songs make the average '76 soundboard worthy. But I listen to all of it every time, because I'm fascinated and interested in the whole show Elvis put on, good or bad. That's what makes a true fan, I guess. :)

And when you're a true fan, you'll eventually get around in collecting the bad next to the good. Although this means you actually get to hear exactly how and when it went wrong. There is nobody while he was alive (except for his road crew and multiple-concert goers) to have had the opportunity -like we do now- to follow Elvis' carreer in the 70s and analyse it that closely on a tour/by/tour basis. And there's nothing you can do about his decline, that can be a saddening experience. :cry: The only thing to do is put on a better later show and convince yourself for a while he still had it and could have still brought the house down had he lived on...

Sat May 24, 2003 2:05 am

I did forget about the Memphis show. I agree. Of all the shows I've heard from summer '76 that one is the best.
The Buffalo show from June 25th is also a show that has been a personal favorite of mine - that's why I left out June.
Anyway, I'm curious to hear that show from July 30th.
The soundboards from August 1st and 31st are brutal.
It's a pitty that the Hampton Roads show is too awful to listen to.
The sound quality of that show is amazing.

Sat May 24, 2003 2:51 am

I agree Fort Baxter's "Goodbye Memphis" is one of the best 1976 SB's out there. His mood is upbeat (and only enhances throughout the concert), his overall performance and song selection satisfying + there is the bonus (part) 1977 show on cd2. However, one only need to compare his voice condition on "One Night" 1976 <-> 1970 to understand the degree of the decline.

Sat May 24, 2003 3:31 am

You got that right James.

Sat May 24, 2003 4:30 am

Nice string of posts, gentleman. A real-world perspective is so refreshing!

Sat May 24, 2003 6:14 am

One other show from 1976 is the Greensboro show from June 30th (My It's Been A Long, Long Time).
Excellent quality recording and although it's not 1972 Elvis, he puts on a decent performance.
Last edited by elvis-fan on Sat May 24, 2003 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 24, 2003 7:36 pm

I would agree that Baxter’s “Goodbye Memphis” is the best available soundboard from the summer of 1976. The audience recording from Buffalo does capture the excitement of the Presley concert experience, although I’ve often wondered whether the show would sound as good if it was recorded from the soundboard. Baxter’s “Bicentennial Elvis Experience” has excellent sound quality, and a rare performance of “Return To Sender”, but unfortunately that’s about all it has going for it. It is indeed a poor show.

Sun May 25, 2003 2:27 pm

No, that´s not all it´s got! Have you guys checked out the version of Johnny B. Goode during the introductions?? In my opinion that´s one of the best versions I´ve heard so far after 1971.
Another great summer tour show; Fort Worth, Texas, June 3rd. 1976. You can hear portions of that concert on the 2cd set Cajun Tornado.

Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 25, 2003 5:44 pm

MB280E wrote:No, that´s not all it´s got! Have you guys checked out the version of Johnny B. Goode during the introductions?? In my opinion that´s one of the best versions I´ve heard so far after 1971.
Another great summer tour show; Fort Worth, Texas, June 3rd. 1976. You can hear portions of that concert on the 2cd set Cajun Tornado.

Sincerely MB280E

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve just listened to Elvis’ version of “Johnny B. Goode” from this show, and whilst I would agree that it’s a good version for the time period, it’s still very short at around one minute long. I think it’s a shame that this song was always performed this way during the later shows, because the Hampton version proves that Elvis could still do justice to it. The best post 1971 version I’ve heard would be the studio rehearsal from March 30, 1972 that was used for the opening credits of the “Elvis On Tour” documentary

Mon May 26, 2003 2:38 am

Hi RR!

Don't you think Elvis sounds a little slurred during this version of JBG?
He sounds somewhat medicated to me.
I think the Aloha verison is hard to beat. I actually even like that verison better than the Vegas '69 verisons mainly because of JB's guitar solo...
AWESOME!!!!!!!

Hampton Concert,76

Mon May 26, 2003 5:37 am

I saw the show at the Hampton coliseum in Aug. 76.I remember the show
differently from the way it sounds on the Bicentienniel Elvis CD(18 then and very much in the throes of hero worship).I do remember that he
sounded better as the show went on,and this is evident on the CD.I do take exception to the idea that Return to Sender was the only standout
of the show.He also did Love Letters and And I Love You So,which I feel
are very well done.And,yeah,listening to it today it is obvious he was
medicated,but it is still an enjoyable show.(He also does a good version of America)A poignant moment for me is at the end of the show where he
thanks the audience and says he would like to come back again.

Mon May 26, 2003 2:37 pm

:D I agree with Pete about New Haven 76' I think he sounds 'fine' during that particular show! even actually the Hampton Roads show on 31st is a fine show (in my humble opinion!) yet certainly at the very least he must have had an awful flu come early August 76'?? maybe he did as ALL early August shows seem much less good?

Mon May 26, 2003 3:23 pm

I don't think "flu" was Elvis' problem in the summer of 1976.

Mon May 26, 2003 4:27 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Hi RR!

I think the Aloha verison is hard to beat. I actually even like that verison better than the Vegas '69 verisons mainly because of JB's guitar solo...
AWESOME!!!!!!!

The version of “Johnny B. Goode” on “The Bicentennial Elvis Experience” is by no means perfect, and as it’s only really about one minute long (one verse and one chorus) it can’t be classed as one of Elvis’ best versions of the song, but after giving the track a listen following MB’s comments I do agree that it’s a good version for the time. Personally I like the 1969 versions as far as live performances are concerned, but I’ve never heard Elvis perform the song better than the July 24, 1970 rehearsal version which was first released on Fort Baxter’s “The Brightest Star On Sunset Boulevard Vol. 2”.

Mon May 26, 2003 4:46 pm

Hi RR!

Sorry rockinrebel, my comments above are regarding the March 1972 version. His words sound slurred together during this version of Johnny B Goode. It isn't my favorite version and sounds kind of sad for 1972.