ale
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: New FTD: Stateline Sahara 1974

Post by ale »

minkahed wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:19 am
ale wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:46 am
Good release....although I thought FTD would release a 3 cd from march 74....specially because of the 50th anniversary of the Memphis show
It'll happen. Patience my friend. 😁
To be honest....although is the 50th anniversary of the Memphis one...I'd prefer shows from other venues.....Tulsa, Monroe, Charlotte, Hampton roads, knoxville, etc....but for sure the Memphis ones would be welcome :wink:

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by elvisjock »

Grateful to add three new shows to the collection.

Elvis was in generally good form during the first half of '74.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

JEFF d
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JEFF d »

i agree, anything from the first half of 1974 is worth getting.

JEFF d
EP fan

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

GaryP wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:44 pm
Ciscoking wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:52 pm
You are not far away..;-)
Stop the tease! That can be interpreted in time to wait or next in line eg Cincinnati.
Dont dig too deep.1976 till 1974 isnt far away either...;-)

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by joekro1977 »

A welcome release - looking forward to hearing some audio samples.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well 'High Sierra' FTD (with bonus tracks that feature whole shows on this forthcoming 2024 FTD)was released in 2010 as a 1 disc release so 14 years later getting 3 shows HAS to be a treat!?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

So true..., this season at Tahoe features Elvis in good voice, committed to his performances, featuring "new" songs to the set list, and pleasing the audiences. I am so looking forward to these 3 shows...., in fact, if they have all the shows from this season at Tahoe and released them all, I would purchase each one!

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 7 months

Post by Mona Lisa »

YDKM wrote:Well 'High Sierra' FTD (with bonus tracks that feature whole shows on this forthcoming 2024 FTD)was released in 2010 as a 1 disc release so 14 years later getting 3 shows HAS to be a treat!?
Definitely. He was more relaxed in Tahoe. Think gonna be a really good release from FTD.

Note: the FTD LIVE IN LA is a favourite of mine from May '74 - the TCB sounded really good - now we've got more from May' 74....

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am
YDKM wrote:Well 'High Sierra' FTD (with bonus tracks that feature whole shows on this forthcoming 2024 FTD)was released in 2010 as a 1 disc release so 14 years later getting 3 shows HAS to be a treat!?
Definitely. He was more relaxed in Tahoe. Think gonna be a really good release from FTD.

Note: the FTD LIVE IN LA is a favourite of mine from May '74 - the TCB sounded really good - now we've got more from May' 74....

While l like Elvis in Spring 1974, I cannot listen to that FTD. I've always thought the show was kind of boring, and after that I discovered it was because the cd runs way too slow.

draig goch
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by draig goch »

Looking forward to these shows , he always seemed more relaxed in the Tahoe concerts. Good job FTD .

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

The L.A. show is unfortunately one of the worst soundboard releases we have from that year because of mastering it way too slow. Apart from that it is also rather low-fi and not much fun to listen to - but that of course is subjective and I can accept that others might love it for whatever reason.

Like others have mentioned before the shows from Lake Tahoe in May were recorded exceptionally well balanced with Elvis, vocalists, TCB band and orchestra all clearly audible - sometimes even nuances shine through like fine violin strokes etc

Personally I still don‘t enjoy those shows that much. I think it has mostly to do with Duke Bardwell and his way to play the bass. Somehow that never resonated with me at all and performances of songs I usually like often sound off to me (Polk Salad Annie and Bridge over troubled water for example).

Additionally I‘m not really fond of the live renditions of Fever, Why me Lord etc.

So all in all I mostly listen just ti selected performances.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

Markus K. wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:53 am
The L.A. show is unfortunately one of the worst soundboard releases we have from that year because of mastering it way too slow. Apart from that it is also rather low-fi and not much fun to listen to - but that of course is subjective and I can accept that others might love it for whatever reason.

Like others have mentioned before the shows from Lake Tahoe in May were recorded exceptionally well balanced with Elvis, vocalists, TCB band and orchestra all clearly audible - sometimes even nuances shine through like fine violin strokes etc

Personally I still don‘t enjoy those shows that much. I think it has mostly to do with Duke Bardwell and his way to play the bass. Somehow that never resonated with me at all and performances of songs I usually like often sound off to me (Polk Salad Annie and Bridge over troubled water for example).

Additionally I‘m not really fond of the live renditions of Fever, Why me Lord etc.

Your sentiments mirror mine to a tee.

In some song selections, Duke’s bass is overblown and overbearing and it kills certain songs. 😊

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Are you guys seriously thinking about ordering this? Do we not have enough 1974 soundboard shows in our collections? This is really getting monotonous and I'm having a hard time justifying it. Very seldom do we get anything out of the 1974 - 1976 range and I am getting tired of it. Insanity at its finest.

I ordered my copy this morning, by the way.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Rob wrote:Are you guys seriously thinking about ordering this? Do we not have enough 1974 soundboard shows in our collections? This is really getting monotonous and I'm having a hard time justifying it. Very seldom do we get anything out of the 1974 - 1976 range and I am getting tired of it. Insanity at its finest.

I ordered my copy this morning, by the way.
I thought you were drunk or high until I read the last sentence. You cheeky bastard!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

I'll have you know, Paul, that I never touch alcohol and the only time I get high is when I watch "Kissin Cousins."

It's because of those damned Kittyhawks.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I'd have to be drunk or high to watch Kissin' Cousins.

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by joekro1977 »

Interesting turn of events on Shop-G. This new set has been priced at $60 - which is $5 less than the two most recent 3CD releases.

Nice to see a swing in the right direction, lol.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

Pete Dube wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:32 pm
I'd have to be drunk or high to watch Kissin' Cousins.
A good movie to watch drunk. It helps a lot. I even love the dog in the movie and I think his acts deserved to be nominated for Oscar.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

The worst Elvis movie.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:10 pm
The worst Elvis movie.
Unfortunately, there are other contenders for that 'accolade!'

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Markus K. wrote:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Tahoe shows either, although Elvis was on decent form generally - but there is very much a lowering of energy and commitment compared to the March tour. Perhaps that's inevitable in a hotel environment, but one only has to listen to Trying to Get To You from this season to see that the bar had dropped since that excellent tour. The inclusion of Spanish Eyes and rather limp run-throughs of Wonder of You and YDHTSYLM don't help matters, either. I remember being very excited when we got told we'd hear the first soundboard of Elvis singing Spanish Eyes live through the Fort Baxter label in the 1990s (I was easily pleased back then) - and I think the live Big Boss Man was new to me at that point, too - but the Tijuana Brass on Spanish Eyes doesn't exactly help, and perhaps showed Elvis making some rather odd decisions regarding his live show at that point.

This seems to me to be a season of Elvis's show in a state of flux, and the tracklistings for the June tour seem to betray that issue, too. The tracklisting doesn't seem to hang together as it should - there's not a natural flow from song to song. Perhaps this (and boredom) was why the show was changed up so much in the Las Vegas season that followed. Despite the behaviour issues from halfway through that season, Elvis did seem more committed to the new songs in August (albeit not so much, it seems, on the opening night), and perhaps the new songs also forced him to concentrate more. If the audience response really was a little subdued on August 19 (and it's hard to tell on a soundboard), perhaps it encouraged Elvis to work harder for them on subsequent nights, as he was far better on the August 21st and August 24th shows that we have from FTD on Nevada Nights and It's Midnight respectively.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Might get this one but I agree with pmp that there's a clear drop in energy compared to the very good March tour.

Hoping there will be a 3-fer from that tour this year. 50th anniversary and all that.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

vinelvis wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:07 pm
Mona Lisa wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:47 am

While l like Elvis in Spring 1974, I cannot listen to that FTD. I've always thought the show was kind of boring, and after that I discovered it was because the cd runs way too slow.
Yes, the speed issue is one way while I don't listen to it al that often. A shame.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

pmp wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:55 am
Markus K. wrote:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Tahoe shows either, although Elvis was on decent form generally - but there is very much a lowering of energy and commitment compared to the March tour. Perhaps that's inevitable in a hotel environment, but one only has to listen to Trying to Get To You from this season to see that the bar had dropped since that excellent tour. The inclusion of Spanish Eyes and rather limp run-throughs of Wonder of You and YDHTSYLM don't help matters, either. I remember being very excited when we got told we'd hear the first soundboard of Elvis singing Spanish Eyes live through the Fort Baxter label in the 1990s (I was easily pleased back then) - and I think the live Big Boss Man was new to me at that point, too - but the Tijuana Brass on Spanish Eyes doesn't exactly help, and perhaps showed Elvis making some rather odd decisions regarding his live show at that point.

This seems to me to be a season of Elvis's show in a state of flux, and the tracklistings for the June tour seem to betray that issue, too. The tracklisting doesn't seem to hang together as it should - there's not a natural flow from song to song. Perhaps this (and boredom) was why the show was changed up so much in the Las Vegas season that followed. Despite the behaviour issues from halfway through that season, Elvis did seem more committed to the new songs in August (albeit not so much, it seems, on the opening night), and perhaps the new songs also forced him to concentrate more. If the audience response really was a little subdued on August 19 (and it's hard to tell on a soundboard), perhaps it encouraged Elvis to work harder for them on subsequent nights, as he was far better on the August 21st and August 24th shows that we have from FTD on Nevada Nights and It's Midnight respectively.
All other would have surprised me...well its a FTD product. I think good old John gives me a thanks.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Ciscoking wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:34 pm
pmp wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:55 am
Markus K. wrote:

All other would have surprised me...well its a FTD product. I think good old John gives me a thanks.
What on earth are you talking about? I'm talking about the season, not the ftd product. In fact, if you'd bothered to look, I was positive about news of the release when it was announced.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.