pmp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:58 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:13 am
pmp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:32 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:15 am
When praising multiple false starts before a perfunctory, 60-second "Hound Dog," and extolling virtues of the show band's closing vamps, it's very possible the plot has been completely lost.

The plot was more likely lost when FTD thought the show deserved an official release in the first place.

Nah.

But of course you, the forum's resident FTD hater, would do such a better job.

But this won't bother you too much, since you don't buy any of these titles.

You just log on here and complain.

:wink:
Well I certainly wouldn't be releasing what is in the top 10 worst concerts Elvis ever gave. Would you?
In all honesty and respect I have for you about what you are doing for fans with books etc..this is utter and plain nonsense written by someone who has ZERO idea about what is in the FTD vaults when it comes to SBs ..what has been bootlegged from it...what is floating around from it in collectors circles ...which are fans requests...how can you keep a balance considering all these criteria..and keeping some beauties for the near future..? HOW can you judge ? WHAT is your source for judging ? HOW can you judge that this release belongs to the 10 worst ever released? HOW many shows you have to compare ? I do have 734 out of 1124 and I listened to ALL of them not only once. How many shows do YOU have to judge besides the copied FTD shows by Memphis Recording Service label ?
Oh, so now FTD takes notice of what has been bootlegged? When did that happen? Wasn't the line always that FTD took no notice of bootlegs? And Hampton Roads was bootlegged 25 years ago, so you only ignore what's been bootlegged when it comes to crap shows?

I never said it was one of the ten worst ever releases, as I said that one of the concerts was one of the ten worst Elvis gave. There is a difference.
Why don't you tell us of ten shows that are worse? Did you not read the responses from OTHERS about these concerts being released when the FTD was announced? And here the cries of "wtf" were relatively subdued compared to those in Facebook groups. Just admit you made a mistake in the concerts chosen for this release - that's a far better look than pretending all is well and that everyone else is over the moon to get these titles in their collection.

Just because it's there in the vaults doesn't mean it should be released. There were plenty of FTD releases this year, and they are not getting any cheaper, so just stop releasing something for a few months or spread them out a bit more. Let some fans catch up a bit. It's not a race. Use some common sense.

Your attitude towards releases appears to be the same as Parker's. Release everything that's there, whether good or bad, sell it for as much as possible, and care only about quantity rather than quality. We are right back in the 70s in this regard.

And this idea of fan requests is nonsense. The criteria for releasing a show should not be that a member on fecc saw the concert and would like to hear it again. It's utter madness to run a label in that way, especially one for the most influential singer in pop history. If you have 734 concerts in your collection and you want to fulfil a fan's dream of hearing the concert, send them a copy. Done.

What's more, why are you hoarding beauties for the future? What is the point? Elvis fans are not getting younger, and I"m pretty sure that they would want to hear "beauties" before they shuffle off instead of concerts as bad as these. There is no point in keeping the good stuff back at this stage. It makes no sense commercially or artistically, not least because FTD could close at some point, and then those "beauties" are not released at all. But hey, at least you managed to get Hampton Roads 76 out there.

As for me having MRS material, I have the grand sum of 4 of their titles in my collection. This has been stated many times before, but clearly you were too busy listening to bloody awful Elvis shows to notice.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Upcoming FTD Release "Summer Of '76"

Post by drjohncarpenter »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:55 pm
Oh, so now FTD . . .

Dude can't stop, won't stop . . .

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Lee Wood
Registered for: 2 years 6 months

Post by Lee Wood »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:54 am
pmp wrote:
Oh, so now FTD . . .

Dude can't stop, won't stop . . .
Do you think he makes a valid point? If not, why not?

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by elvisjock »

Make the remaining soundboards available for download and be done with it. We're not getting any younger.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

elvisjock wrote:Make the remaining soundboards available for download and be done with it. We're not getting any younger.
Now that’s a good idea. If you want it, you pay $9.95 to download each show you want. If not, it’s all good. Just like Springsteen does.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Re: Upcoming FTD Release

Post by sweetangeline »

paulsweeney wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:18 pm
elvisjock wrote:Make the remaining soundboards available for download and be done with it. We're not getting any younger.
Now that’s a good idea. If you want it, you pay $9.95 to download each show you want. If not, it’s all good. Just like Springsteen does.
suggestion is fine...I would be shocked if FTD went down this path :shock:

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 6 months

Post by ORION »

This could be a viable way to keep the label alive longer, get material out quicker and in a cheaper manner as well. There would be no printing costs or CD manufacturing to drive up production costs.. maybe just a single cover for the CD artwork that would be part of the download. FTD could then concentrate on more session releases, vinyl LPs, and occasionally books.

There was a time when I would've balked at this idea, but the times are changing and since FTD soundboard sets have always been bare-bones products anyway - so, why not ? I mean I only recall two-three releases that ever came with a booklet and they have always issued in flimsy digi-packs.

It might be something that Ernst seriously considers.

My only qualm would be if they were only available as MP3's instead of FLAC files.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

ORION wrote:Now that’s a good idea. If you want it, you pay $9.95 to download each show you want. If not, it’s all good. Just like Springsteen does.

This could be a viable way to keep the label alive longer, get material out quicker and in a cheaper manner as well. There would be no printing costs or CD manufacturing to drive up production costs.. maybe just a single cover for the CD artwork that would be part of the download. FTD could then concentrate on more session releases, vinyl LPs, and occasionally books.

There was a time when I would've balked at this idea, but the times are changing and since FTD soundboard sets have always been bare-bones products anyway - so, why not ? I mean I only recall two-three releases that ever came with a booklet and they have always issued in flimsy digi-packs.

My only qualm would be if they were only available as MP3's instead of FLAC files.
Here is how they do it with Springsteen. It’s $14.99, not $9.95…I guess it’s been awhile since I got one.

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

a comment on the sound. These are soundboard shows and a good mix of Elvis and everyone on stage.... certainly you can not hear much sound from the audience on these. The same show as an Audience recording seems to make Elvis sound better!?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

pmp wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:56 pm
In all honesty and respect I have for you about what you are doing for fans with books etc..this is utter and plain nonsense written by someone who has ZERO idea about what is in the FTD vaults when it comes to SBs ..what has been bootlegged from it...what is floating around from it in collectors circles ...which are fans requests...how can you keep a balance considering all these criteria..and keeping some beauties for the near future..? HOW can you judge ? WHAT is your source for judging ? HOW can you judge that this release belongs to the 10 worst ever released? HOW many shows you have to compare ? I do have 734 out of 1124 and I listened to ALL of them not only once. How many shows do YOU have to judge besides the copied FTD shows by Memphis Recording Service label ?
Oh, so now FTD takes notice of what has been bootlegged? When did that happen? Wasn't the line always that FTD took no notice of bootlegs? And Hampton Roads was bootlegged 25 years ago, so you only ignore what's been bootlegged when it comes to crap shows?

I never said it was one of the ten worst ever releases, as I said that one of the concerts was one of the ten worst Elvis gave. There is a difference.
Why don't you tell us of ten shows that are worse? Did you not read the responses from OTHERS about these concerts being released when the FTD was announced? And here the cries of "wtf" were relatively subdued compared to those in Facebook groups. Just admit you made a mistake in the concerts chosen for this release - that's a far better look than pretending all is well and that everyone else is over the moon to get these titles in their collection.

Just because it's there in the vaults doesn't mean it should be released. There were plenty of FTD releases this year, and they are not getting any cheaper, so just stop releasing something for a few months or spread them out a bit more. Let some fans catch up a bit. It's not a race. Use some common sense.

Your attitude towards releases appears to be the same as Parker's. Release everything that's there, whether good or bad, sell it for as much as possible, and care only about quantity rather than quality. We are right back in the 70s in this regard.

And this idea of fan requests is nonsense. The criteria for releasing a show should not be that a member on fecc saw the concert and would like to hear it again. It's utter madness to run a label in that way, especially one for the most influential singer in pop history. If you have 734 concerts in your collection and you want to fulfil a fan's dream of hearing the concert, send them a copy. Done.

What's more, why are you hoarding beauties for the future? What is the point? Elvis fans are not getting younger, and I"m pretty sure that they would want to hear "beauties" before they shuffle off instead of concerts as bad as these. There is no point in keeping the good stuff back at this stage. It makes no sense commercially or artistically, not least because FTD could close at some point, and then those "beauties" are not released at all. But hey, at least you managed to get Hampton Roads 76 out there.

As for me having MRS material, I have the grand sum of 4 of their titles in my collection. This has been stated many times before, but clearly you were too busy listening to bloody awful Elvis shows to notice.
FTD is for Elvis lovers. That's the short answer.

They need to spread out some of the highlights and rarities in order to keep things interesting. Hence the 20 year gap between the Tahoe '73 Midnight and 3 AM shows. It makes perfect business sense. FTD's profitability is non-optional and we pay the bills if we want them to continue. That's how it's always worked.

If the most recent releases are too pricey for you, fine. I recommend tracking down a few older titles. Less content, more affordable, great selection. and many titles still available on the second-hand-market. I thought it next to impossible to assemble a complete FTD CD collection from scratch at this point, but people are doing it.

And customers are happier than ever with the decision to release 3 shows. And I don't remember people complaining about the label's move to issue 2 concerts for the price of 1 back in the day. Not even you.

Hampton Roads was a fine choice and it's perfectly OK to skip if you're still happy with the old copy of New Haven :wink:

Gamma Master
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Gamma Master »

paulsweeney wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:52 am
ORION wrote:Now that’s a good idea. If you want it, you pay $9.95 to download each show you want. If not, it’s all good. Just like Springsteen does.

Here is how they do it with Springsteen. It’s $14.99, not $9.95…I guess it’s been awhile since I got one.

I think them charging different prices for MP3 and FLAC is a bit disingenuous. Surely when they transfer/remaster the tapes they're stored in a lossless format, which they then degrade to MP3 and sell the original lossless transfer at a higher price. Well in any case, I think this could certainly be an avenue for FTD, but it would certainly need a thorough rethink of their 'sell to distributors' sales model. They'd have to set up a website to start with :D

Every opinion is my own, unless stated otherwise.

I overuse brackets as well

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by elvisjock »

The FTD audience is a wasting asset. We're aging and dying. Continuing to hold back highly desired material makes no sense.

Now leave me alone while I go back to aging and dying.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Way Down Under
Registered for: 2 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by Way Down Under »

Just got my copy last Friday: Overall it's about as bad as can be expected. On the Charleston CD Elvis' energy levels are adversely affected by the summer heat, and couldn't improvise as good as we know he can. In Springfield Elvis' voice was effected by his sore throat. That's clearly evident in C.C Rider, then really mucks up the transition' from 'Amen back to I Got a Woman. Only some songs like And I Love You So, America and Polk Salad are about as listenable as it gets, although Love Letters seems to be delivered at the right tempo this time. Pity about Elvis' voice though.
That said, I believe the remastered sound (compared with the bootlegs) has almost turned my thoughts of the Hampton Roads concert on it's head. He seems to put more effort behind some of the songs, which actually gave me a few positives to hang my hat on. Sound wise it's a lot softer than the Fort Baxter release from 1995, where Elvis' voice was so up front that his vocal cancelled out the rhythm section. However this FTD is more friendly to the ear. Elvis' throat problems sound less graphic.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

Way Down Under wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 am
Just got my copy last Friday: Overall it's about as bad as can be expected. On the Charleston CD Elvis' energy levels are adversely affected by the summer heat, and couldn't improvise as good as we know he can. In Springfield Elvis' voice was effected by his sore throat. That's clearly evident in C.C Rider, then really mucks up the transition' from 'Amen back to I Got a Woman. Only some songs like And I Love You So, America and Polk Salad are about as listenable as it gets, although Love Letters seems to be delivered at the right tempo this time. Pity about Elvis' voice though.
That said, I believe the remastered sound (compared with the bootlegs) has almost turned my thoughts of the Hampton Roads concert on it's head. He seems to put more effort behind some of the songs, which actually gave me a few positives to hang my hat on. Sound wise it's a lot softer than the Fort Baxter release from 1995, where Elvis' voice was so up front that his vocal cancelled out the rhythm section. However this FTD is more friendly to the ear. Elvis' throat problems sound less graphic.
Springfield has a decent ambient audience recording that would qualify for matrix sound. It may put the performance in a better perspective, for what it’s worth.

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

I just received the album and gave it a spin. It starts with the afternoon show Elvis gave on July 24th in Charleston. The man is in clear frame of mind and quite vivid considering the year and the time of the day. However, his voice already shows signs of weakness and he cuts the show short by omitting "Polk Salad Annie" and "Hound Dog". In general the show is acceptable. The second disc takes us to Springfield, where the king performed on July 29th. When he welcomes the crowd after "I Got A Woman" he sounds intoxicated, his monologue about the band playing softball is quite pointless and he slurrs his speech a bit. His voice has sounds more rough than in Charleston and Elvis obviously has problems hitting and holding notes. By August 1st (Hampton Roads) his voice is shot. He sounds hoarse, has trouble to hit and hold notes and even during fast songs like "Jailhouse Rock" his voice squeaks at times. But he awake and in good mood. If his voice had been in good condition, this would have been a nice 1976 show.

Mississippi slim
Registered for: 2 years 1 month

Post by Mississippi slim »

Respect for those who want to have everything. But is it really necessary to release shows where his voice is not up to par.Or he's slurring his words, or as high as a kite,whatever. A bit disrespectful to the man himself I think. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know.

A. C. van Kuijk

Truth is never disrespectful.

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Truth is never disrespectful.
I have to disagree. Or, better said, to make a point. Truth is never disrespectful, but relaxing everything a man did could be. Just take this cheap example: The truth is Elvis went to the bathroom but I don’t need to see a video of it.

I’ve listened to some tracks. Couldn’t made it to end of any of those three concerts. I can’t imagine anyone enjoying them.

Iván

La voz del Rey

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

elvisjock wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:22 pm
Make the remaining soundboards available for download and be done with it. We're not getting any younger.
Hundreds of mediocre-to-substandard soundboard recordings from the summer of 1974 - 1977? Who would want to sit through such dreck? A few choice soundboard recordings, carefully chosen, as well as tour compilations would have been the most sensible approach. But FTD deviated from any such attempts long ago, and the early years of FTD's selections were uneven at best. That said, the Summer Of '76 is the perfect example of how the soundboard series has veered terribly off course.

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

midnightx wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 am
elvisjock wrote:
Hundreds of mediocre-to-substandard soundboard recordings from the summer of 1974 - 1977? Who would want to sit through such dreck? A few choice soundboard recordings, carefully chosen, as well as tour compilations would have been the most sensible approach. But FTD deviated from any such attempts long ago, and the early years of FTD's selections were uneven at best. That said, the Summer Of '76 is the perfect example of how the soundboard series has veered terribly off course.
The 3CD soundboard series is FTD's answer to continuous demands and changing economic realities.

People close to the label didn't deny possible controversies around the release of "Summer Of '76". Frankly this release is an easy target to point out the label's missteps. There are enough fans and collectors out there, who'd prefer complete performances over tour compilations and bonus songs any day of the week (this fan included).

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

midnightx wrote:
Hundreds of mediocre-to-substandard soundboard recordings from the summer of 1974 - 1977? Who would want to sit through such dreck?
This comment has been phrased as a clear question so I`m game :wink:

Ciscoking

...if you yell it he will come :wink:

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 am
midnightx wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
The 3CD soundboard series is FTD's answer to continuous demands and changing economic realities.

People close to the label didn't deny possible controversies around the release of "Summer Of '76". Frankly this release is an easy target to point out the label's missteps. There are enough fans and collectors out there, who'd prefer complete performances over tour compilations and bonus songs any day of the week (this fan included).
Introducing 3cd sets of repetitive concerts for £50 is NOT a response to changing economic realities.- unless that response was made by someone out of their mind.

"Times are hard for our customers. Energy bills are soaring, and there is a cost of living crisis."
"Right. So let's give them the more expensive cd releases of subpar shows. That will help."

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by midnightx »

Way Down Under wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 am
On the Charleston CD Elvis' energy levels are adversely affected by the summer heat…
One suspects it was more than the “summer heat” that adversely affected Elvis’ performance.

On Tape 1972

Post by On Tape 1972 »

pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm
On Tape 1972 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 am
midnightx wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

Introducing 3cd sets of repetitive concerts for £50 is NOT a response to changing economic realities.- unless that response was made by someone out of their mind.
Yeah it is.
pmp wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm
"Times are hard for our customers. Energy bills are soaring, and there is a cost of living crisis."
"Right. So let's give them the more expensive cd releases of subpar shows. That will help."
Yeah and a lot of that has to do with crappy economic decisions that people make all the time. On both personal and national levels. If you can't pay your energy bills, maybe you shouldn't spend whatever money still happens to be in your wallet on things you don't really need.

People spend their money on cars, pets, trips, vacations, drugs and other non-essentials. If you don't do any of that, you sure got a few bucks left to spend on something you really want to spend it on. Like on a 3CD set of repetitive concerts.

A. C. van Kuijk

frus75 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 pm
I have to disagree.
To make it short: You don't want people to get a realistic picture, so you expect the ugly stuff to be held back. Most people try to cover this kind of censorship with "respect". Nobody is forced to listen to stuff like this, but to expect others to do so as well is a joke.