Re: Upcoming FTD Release "Summer Of '76"

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Markus K. wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:25 pm
Sugarfoot wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:26 pm
Markus K. wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:18 am
David Briggs was off to some mischief when he brought out a hamonica in preparation to play instead of the electric piano. He then proceeds to play it first nevertheless until Elvis asks him to go on and play the harmonica. That is the most fun part.

Oh, that's what this was about. :)

briggs.jpg

Great photo of that moment and thank you so much for the share, Sugarfoot. I had no idea such a photo existed.

Thanks for the information on the Briggs mischief.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:34 am
pmp wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:54 am
It's odd that time is set aside to photoshop an image but not to listen to the audio before it goes into production...

You're not on the FTD team, you have zero idea how any of it works.

That said, you dislike the product, stop supporting the label.

:smt023
There have been around 80 posts since the one you just chose to dig up for yet another banal remark. Is the new year proving to be a tad dull for you?

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

Finally finished listening to the July 29th show, which started off much better than the July 24th show, waned a little during the middle, and improved later. HURT has a great ending on the reprise, and I've near heard nine false starts on HOUND DOG as performed here -- he sings each false start very quickly and goes up. Different. One of the longest closing vamps given to us of nearly 2.5 minutes (which I enjoy, as I think about the number of times I sat in an auditorium listening and watching the band play, even knowing that Elvis has long left the building). I would love to have the 3 shows I saw this tour, but may be more disappointed than I was attending the shows -- but still so happy to have been there.

Christopher Brown

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

Onondaga nights cd's has the concerts you want Chris and in quite decent sound- even the Man & Music gave these cd's the thumbs up!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Elvis2000
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Elvis2000 »

YDKM wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:52 am
Onondaga nights cd's has the concerts you want Chris and in quite decent sound- even the Man & Music gave these cd's the thumbs up!
If FTD ever release the soundboard for those shows, a decent matrix recording would hide enough of Elvis’ poor form and improve the atmosphere and energy of the show.

If someone can share the Springfield AR with me, I’ll have a go at it.

drjohncarpenter

pmp wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:51 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:34 am
pmp wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:54 am
It's odd that time is set aside to photoshop an image but not to listen to the audio before it goes into production...

You're not on the FTD team, you have zero idea how any of it works.

That said, you dislike the product, stop supporting the label.

:smt023

There . . .

Yet another non-answer.

:wink:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Christopher Brown wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:26 am
Finally finished listening to the July 29th show, which started off much better than the July 24th show, waned a little during the middle, and improved later. HURT has a great ending on the reprise, and I've near heard nine false starts on HOUND DOG as performed here -- he sings each false start very quickly and goes up. Different. One of the longest closing vamps given to us of nearly 2.5 minutes (which I enjoy, as I think about the number of times I sat in an auditorium listening and watching the band play, even knowing that Elvis has long left the building). I would love to have the 3 shows I saw this tour, but may be more disappointed than I was attending the shows -- but still so happy to have been there.

When praising multiple false starts before a perfunctory, 60-second "Hound Dog," and extolling virtues of the show band's closing vamps, it's very possible the plot has been completely lost.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:15 am
Christopher Brown wrote:

When praising multiple false starts before a perfunctory, 60-second "Hound Dog," and extolling virtues of the show band's closing vamps, it's very possible the plot has been completely lost.
Downer Doc strikes again! Why can't Chris share what he enjoys about the show without criticism?

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

MadTiger
Registered for: 3 years 3 months

Post by MadTiger »

minkahed wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:19 pm
The thing is right, some people keep buying these packages at these, sometimes, way overpriced price points and that's great on them, but the main objective here is just too file on a shelf for the sake of having it, or do you people actually really listen to these concerts for repeat listening pleasure?
Actually, I do. When traveling outside (from/to work, doing groceries, etc) I mostly listen to other artists and the multi-track Evis ones (all the re-mixes from Matt Ross Spang are excellent to listen to on good headphones). At home, I often listen to Elvis soundboards in rotation and not shying away from the '74-'77 era. Like Rob, I can easily sit down with my headphones on and enjoy any Elvis concert I put on from start to finish. And although I do have some concerts I like more than others, eventually all of them get a spin (again) in due time.

danodj
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by danodj »

Maybe I'll be the only one, but I would love to have the whole tour on soundboard. The same goes for all tours or Vegas or Thahoe (69-77).
Yes, I would like to have all the soundboards that FTD has in archive.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

danodj wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:18 pm
Maybe I'll be the only one, but I would love to have the whole tour on soundboard. The same goes for all tours or Vegas or Thahoe (69-77).Yes, I would like to have all the soundboards that FTD has in archive.
The only one? Don't forget Rob!

Actually, I would also like to have every single show in the FTD archive - but only if they are presented correctly. I will be boycottin' all releases that run at the wrong speed or include manipulated photos. I am beginning to think that the photos on "Summer Of '76" are not manipulated though, I think they somehow ended up that way by mistake. I can't understand why they don't involve Doc in the production of FTD releases. Doc would take care of these things prior to release.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

YDKM wrote:

I have to agree.

This is a pretty nice set to have (if you collect such detritus).

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Rob wrote:
YDKM wrote:

I have to agree.

This is a pretty nice set to have (if you collect such detritus).
Cut it out with your $2.00 words you magpie.

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

Thanks for the feedback and thanks. I do have the Onondaga Nights release. Soundboards would still be appreciated, especially before a major update of my second book is released (this year?).

Note, I did not praise the false starts on HOUND DOG mentioned previously, only that it was different. If FTD keeps releasing shows from a tour with basically the same (and often the same) song line-up, some differentiation might be interesting to note. Nothing more, nothing less.

Regarding the closing vamp -- it's a shame many on this board didn't see Elvis live, and the memory of reflecting on a show Elvis just performed as the band played the closing vamp (and perhaps wondering about an encore that would never come) comes back to mind as I hear these longer closing vamps on soundboard. The closing vamp on this release is VERY long, but unfortunately cut off before the announcement of the "Elvis Super Souvenirs." Again, it's just a note of something different, as the closing vamps are often quickly cut off. Nothing more, nothing less.

I enjoyed a number of performances on this release, and it's a show I would return to, but just not a favourite tour of mine -- or the next – although I saw three shows on this tour.
Last edited by Christopher Brown on Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Brown

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Christopher Brown wrote:Thanks for the feedback and thanks. I do have the Onondaga Nights release. Soundboards would still be appreciated, especially before a major update of my second book is released (this year?).

Note, I did not praise the false starts on HOUND DOG mentioned previously, only that it was different. If FTD keeps releasing shows from a tour with basically the same (and often the same) song line-up, some differentiation might be interesting to note. Nothing more, nothing less.

Regarding the closing vamp -- it's a shame many on this board didn't see Elvis live, and reflecting on a show Elvis just performed as the band plays the closing vamp (and perhaps wondering about an encore that would never come) come back to me as longer closing vamps are made available on some releases. Again, it's just a note on something different, as the closing vamps are often quickly cut off. Nothing more, nothing less.

I enjoyed a number of performances on this release, and it's a show I would return to, but just not a favourite tour of mine -- or the next – although I saw three shows on this tour.
Chris, you saw more shows than most Elvis fans could ever dream of seeing. The details you put in your two books was great and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them when they first came out back in the day. They are still a treasured part of my collection and will always remain so.

SpyGuyUK
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by SpyGuyUK »

YDKM wrote:
I have 'Onondaga Nights' too! Happy Birthday to you! :smt113 Hope you got some Elvis presents! :wink:

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

SpyGuyUK wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:44 pm
YDKM wrote:
I have 'Onondaga Nights' too! Happy Birthday to you! :smt113 Hope you got some Elvis presents! :wink:
Yes a friend bought me a free lunch yesterday :)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

pmp

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Christopher Brown wrote:

The plot was more likely lost when FTD thought the show deserved an official release in the first place.

drjohncarpenter

pmp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:32 am
drjohncarpenter wrote:

The plot was more likely lost when FTD thought the show deserved an official release in the first place.

Nah.

But of course you, the forum's resident FTD hater, would do such a better job.

But this won't bother you too much, since you don't buy any of these titles.

You just log on here and complain.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

YDKM wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 am
SpyGuyUK wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:44 pm
YDKM wrote:
Yes a friend bought me a free lunch yesterday :)
If the lunch your friend bought you was a free lunch, he didn’t buy you anything….did he? :wink:

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Well he did pay A$22

You Don't Know Me!

pmp

Post by pmp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:13 am
pmp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah.

Well I certainly wouldn't be releasing what is in the top 10 worst concerts Elvis ever gave. Would you?

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

pmp wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:58 pm
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:13 am
pmp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nah.

Well I certainly wouldn't be releasing what is in the top 10 worst concerts Elvis ever gave. Would you?
In all honesty and respect I have for you about what you are doing for fans with books etc..this is utter and plain nonsense written by someone who has ZERO idea about what is in the FTD vaults when it comes to SBs ..what has been bootlegged from it...what is floating around from it in collectors circles ...which are fans requests...how can you keep a balance considering all these criteria..and keeping some beauties for the near future..? HOW can you judge ? WHAT is your source for judging ? HOW can you judge that this release belongs to the 10 worst ever released? HOW many shows you have to compare ? I do have 734 out of 1124 and I listened to ALL of them not only once. How many shows do YOU have to judge besides the copied FTD shows by Memphis Recording Service label ?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:52 pm
Could someone post the version of Early Morning Rain from July 31st?
That is one tough tape to sit through, really, really poor sound.
Early Mornin' Rain.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Markus K. wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:17 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:52 pm
Could someone post the version of Early Morning Rain from July 31st?
That is one tough tape to sit through, really, really poor sound.

Early Mornin' Rain.mp3
Thank you so its not a full version but a near full version, similar to the new haven performance except that elvis changes the last line here

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets