Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Sony needs to reissue/remaster The Memphis Record

Post by RickGreekElvis »

I was just listening to this album today. I feel it needs to be back out there available on CD/Vinyl/Digital Download with upgraded sound.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Sony needs to reissue/remaster The Memphis Record

Post by emjel »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:49 am

I was just listening to this album today. I feel it needs to be back out there available on CD/Vinyl/Digital Download with upgraded sound.
The only chance you have is Digital and even then, it is unlikely.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Nigel77
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by Nigel77 »

This was my favourite release for the 10th Anniversary of Elvis' passing in 1987. Not sure how large an audience it would have in 2023, particularly after other reissues/remastered FEIM sets. Though, I wouldn't mind a remastered release of the quadrophonic 8-track release.

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

It was great in its day, but this material has been released many times over now. I don't see the point in a reissue of a 35 year old compilation that I don't think offered anything new other than remixes?

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by elvis-fan »

RickGreekElvis wrote:

What is "upgraded sound"?

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

pmp wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:17 am
It was great in its day, but this material has been released many times over now. I don't see the point in a reissue of a 35 year old compilation that I don't think offered anything new other than remixes?
Actually, the "Memphis Record" not only featured unique mixes for this compilation, it featured Alternate vocals as well.

Check out the bridge in, "Wearin' That Loved On Look" and the, " I'm Movin' On" version. Really kool.

Another is, (quite evident), "Inherit The Wind".

It wasn't perfect, by any means, but a step in the right direction for some audio restoration at that time.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
RickGreekElvis
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by RickGreekElvis »

elvis-fan wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:59 am
RickGreekElvis wrote:

It sounds a bit thin. Or maybe I'm used to more recent remasters of the catalog.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

RickGreekElvis wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:09 am
elvis-fan wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:59 am
RickGreekElvis wrote:

It sounds a bit thin.
Agreed. Perhaps, a bit trebly would be another good term.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Gunter »

I fully agree that The Memphis Record deserves a reissue. The mixes, in my opinion, for the most part, were far superior then the original ones. I was never a fan of the near binaural Chips Moman mixes. The Memphis Record is more balanced and more 'modern' which makes the listening experience far more pleasurable. But I also agree that the overal sound quality needs an upgrade. To my ears it sounds a bit muffled. This material deserves the best.
Hopefully a future FTD release!

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

emjel

Post by emjel »

Gunter wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 pm
I fully agree that The Memphis Record deserves a reissue. The mixes, in my opinion, for the most part, were far superior then the original ones. I was never a fan of the near binaural Chips Moman mixes. The Memphis Record is more balanced and more 'modern' which makes the listening experience far more pleasurable. But I also agree that the overal sound quality needs an upgrade. To my ears it sounds a bit muffled. This material deserves the best.
If you’re hoping for a physical release, FTD is the glimmer of hope option. That said, I doubt Ernst would spend time and money on the sound for something that has a limited market. And we go back to the subjective sound thing again - some people want this because of the unique mixes and if they start tampering with the sound and mix, fans will start complaining it does not sound exactly the same as the original ‘85 release, whilst others will complain they would have mixed it differently.

As for suggestions for a mainstream release or a quad version etc, that shipped sailed in 2019 when Sony could have done all that as a 50th anniversary deluxe release, but didn’t.

~

Swedish

Post by Swedish »

Gunter wrote:
emjel wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:45 pm
Haven't FTD make up for all that 2019 with this?
R-14288979-1571523457-4616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shakin' Stevens aka Michael Barratt March 4th 1948 - 36 Marcross Rd, Cardiff suburb of Ely, South Wales

Gunter
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Gunter »

Swedish wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:23 pm
Gunter wrote:
emjel wrote:
Wonderful release for sure, but I'm not sure if I understand your question. Could you elaborate please?

You know, that version of "Dixie" and uh, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," it's so beautiful!
The band he's put together is so over-the-top, and only Elvis would have that kinda spending power, and just audacious craziness. Choirs, and orchestras, and a great rhythm section, maybe another gospel group on the side. None of it makes sense until you suddenly hear something like that, and they're all playing a role in that, and it's very moving music. That's the pure joy of music in the man. You know, that's when I see everything stop.

~Tom Petty - The Searcher

emjel

Post by emjel »

Swedish wrote:
Gunter wrote:
emjel wrote:
Well that was an FTD only release which happened after a bit of a backlash when Sony released a digital only release on mainstream. What fans really wanted or were expecting was a deluxe 50th anniversary release of From Elvis in Memphis on mainstream - many artists are putting out 50th anniversary releases of their best recognised albums and it was an ideal opportunity for Sony to do something special for the album by including a BluRay 5.1 mix etc.
That said, RCA/BMG/Sony over the years have put out so many variations of many of Elvis’ best albums that the mainstream market has been diluted, so was probably a reason why Sony did not go with such a release.

~

emjel

Post by emjel »

lord_ellasson wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:16 pm
Gunter wrote:
Agreed. The main thing for me was that the drums were centred, where they should be.
Presumably, and on that basis, you already have the CD release. Why would you want it released again?

~

Beale
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Beale »

I'm perfectly content with the three FTD classic album series, the 5 disc set, and the 2009 Legacy edition.

Beale

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

A reissue doesn’t make sense, but it would be cool to have releases like The Memphis Record but also Burning Love available on Spotify.

Some of the tracks on both releases sound absolutely great. Including the LV72 live mixes of course.

Beale
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Beale »

Robert wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:27 pm
A reissue doesn’t make sense, but it would be cool to have releases like The Memphis Record but also Burning Love available on Spotify.

Some of the tracks on both releases sound absolutely great. Including the LV72 live mixes of course.
Burning Love CD was one of my very first titles when I began collecting around twenty-one years ago. Loved the tracks , and the live tracks sounded wonderful still do. I remember thinking the slow version of Hound Dog sounded so neat as opposed to what I was used to from TTWII and Aloha.

Beale

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I can do without a reissue of The Memphis Record... but I would like all of the finished masters, as they were initially released, finally remixed. That was the biggest disappointment with that American Sound 1969 release...

TINML

Post by TINML »

elvis-fan wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:40 pm
I can do without a reissue of The Memphis Record... but I would like all of the finished masters, as they were initially released, finally remixed. That was the biggest disappointment with that American Sound 1969 release...
That killed my preorder instantly - I appreciate the work that went into collecting everything in one place but an extra disc of properly balanced masters would've made this even better.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

Tygrrius
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Post by Tygrrius »

The Memphis Record is one of my all-time favorite albums. I wouldn't be the fan I am today without that record being a core piece of my teenage years. It is how I first heard most of those songs, and I still sometimes struggle to enjoy as much the more authentic mixes. That said, I'm sure it will never be reissued. I'm glad it already exists.

TY (Hardly Relevant)

The Mystery Train Elvis Blog
Exploring the music and films of Elvis Presley

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

emjel wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm
Swedish wrote:
Gunter wrote:
emjel wrote:
What fans really wanted or were expecting was a deluxe 50th anniversary release of From Elvis in Memphis on mainstream - many artists are putting out 50th anniversary releases of their best recognised albums and it was an ideal opportunity for Sony to do something special for the album by including a BluRay 5.1 mix etc.
Donchu know by now, that'll happen for the 59th anniversary!!!

ElvisNZ
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by ElvisNZ »

Elvisallisellers remixed The Memphis Record did a brilliant job you may want to ask him if he will post it again.
Definitely my go to album for good listening pleasure for 1969 Memphis tracks
The lp plays as well today as when it was issued all those years ago

ElvisNZ
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by ElvisNZ »

For reference check this link out
ww.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99410&hilit=memphis

draig goch
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by draig goch »

Enjoyed it very much in its day , however now does it really offer anything new. Would be good to have ftd release on vinyl though.

TINML

Post by TINML »

draig goch wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:39 pm
Enjoyed it very much in its day , however now does it really offer anything new. Would be good to have ftd release on vinyl though.
A beefed up remaster on FTD would be most welcome if they don't feel like remixing from scratch.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."