Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS THE CONCERT EUROPEAN TOUR - HURT!!!!

Thu May 22, 2003 7:01 pm

For an interesting article in the Belfast Telegraph about the forthcoming 'Elvis The Concert' Tour please go to the following URL:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/featu ... ory=408291

Are they really going to show Elvis singing 'HURT'? If so, that will really raise the roof!!!!!

Brian 8)

Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 pm

Hi Brian,

That would really be a blast!!!

But don't get your hopes up. Haven't you seen the song line-up yet?

Check out http://www.elvis.com for the complete European line-up, or go through some the older posts on this board...

Bye
Sonny

Thu May 22, 2003 7:53 pm

Great article, Brian. Myrna's comments are interesting.

I say "great" in the sense that sometimes it good to hear from those around Elvis that weren't directly involved with him day to day. Who see him as the fans see him.

"But I know he is easy with this production. Elvis is still around in the hearts of all of us who worked with him. Some nights I can sense him more than others. It gets to me and I start to cry. There have been performances when all of us have been overwhelmed."
"Elvis was a wonderful person - what we are doing on stage helps to keep his memory alive. Young people should be told about his spirituality and they should be warned too it was drugs - dangerous drugs - that killed him.

It would be amazing to have "Hurt" as part of that show. Interesting.

Hurt!!!

Thu May 22, 2003 11:23 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 23, 2003 1:23 am

Using June 1977 footage is unlikely at best, period. EPE has full approval of what "Elvis The Concert" can program -- and they quite rightly do not wish to perpetuate the downside of Elvis' later career.

Fri May 23, 2003 1:42 am

I'll never understand the fascination with "Hurt", i mean its ok but not my bag!

Fri May 23, 2003 1:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Using June 1977 footage is unlikely at best, period. EPE has full approval of what "Elvis The Concert" can program -- and they quite rightly do not wish to perpetuate the downside of Elvis' later career.

But what about the upside of his later career? That version af Hurt must be a plus. :?

:twisted:

Fri May 23, 2003 3:50 am

The estate uses some 1977 footage on the Graceland tour--they did at one time, anyway. I am not sure if they still do today. They also have not had a problem using clips on various network television specials in previous years. It appears their minds change with the wind.

hurt

Fri May 23, 2003 4:03 am

bring on hurt , hit the audiance where it HURTS ! :lol: :arrow: :lol:

Fri May 23, 2003 7:56 pm

I can’t see them using this footage. As others have already pointed out the set list has already been announced, so I think perhaps Myrna has mentioned “Hurt” as one of her own favourite performances, and the journalist that interviewed her has assumed that “Hurt” is already part of the show.

Fri May 23, 2003 8:57 pm

Man, it would be great if they'd use some of the June 1977 material... They could use one or two songs like "How Great Thou Art", "Hurt", "And I Love You So" or "My Way"....

Fri May 23, 2003 9:58 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I can’t see them using this footage. As others have already pointed out the set list has already been announced, so I think perhaps Myrna has mentioned “Hurt” as one of her own favourite performances, and the journalist that interviewed her has assumed that “Hurt” is already part of the show.

Thank you for the explanation rockinrebel!

Just my thoughts here...

I can't see EPE allowing them to use the performance of "Hurt" - since many fans are divided over the '77 special (release it or not?). Plus, considering the way Elvis looked on the '77 special, it might be difficult for some fans.

Tom (from Ohio)

Fri May 23, 2003 10:08 pm

As the show is seen by the general public, and the casual fan I think it’s important that the footage used shows Elvis in good physical shape, and I’m pretty sure EPE would feel the same way on this. The footage currently being used for the concert shows Elvis from 1968 – 1973, and this gives a positive image of the later Elvis. Including footage in the show from June 1977 would have the opposite effect.

Fri May 23, 2003 10:54 pm

Kylan -
The reason why Hurt is so highly regarded is that it's the latter day-deteriorating Elvis digging deep within himself, breaking through the layers of "excess" and delivering a powerhouse performance. It's not great just because he hits some pretty big high notes, but rather it's the level of total commitment and depth of feeling that he sings this with. He fully invests himself in his performance, something that he did not always do in his 70's work. This performance, along with Unchained Melody are ample evidence that the once-great artist was still there (albeit buried under layers of excess). On these 2 numbers he breaks through to the surface!

Sat May 24, 2003 3:10 am

I agree with you, rebel, that it would probably be best not to use any 1977 footage. My only point is that the estate sometimes says one thing, only to contradict themselves by their actions.

Sat May 24, 2003 7:18 am

With all respect to everyone's opinion, I think those of you who side with the estate's position of keeping the "1977 Elvis" away from the public's eye as much as possible (although as correctly stated above, that isn't always entirely the case, but for the most part it seems to be policy) do not completely understand that such a stance has the reverse effect of what they intend.

Honesty is the best policy, right? By keeping 1977 Elvis tied up in the basement, people are simply left to think that the dude is so weird that his caretakers are so ashamed of him that they won't let him see the light of day.

The public at large is very aware of Elvis having had a prescription drug problem, a weight problem, and all the sensational tabloid rumors which dictate many of their feelings about him. The estate lets them continue to think all those things (I am not trying to say they are all completely untrue) by basically not acknowledging them.

I am not suggesting that showing more footage, for example, from the CBS special footage would put all the rumors to rest. But let's face it: the aforementioned Hurt and Unchained Melody, as well as quite a few others in my opinion, are strong, impressive performances--regardless of whether songs like those are your cup of tea. So showcasing them in some manner should at least impress upon people that Elvis was not an amazingly obese, incoherent, disinterested has-been who had lost all vocal ability and any semblance of the superstar he had once been.

It might not be showing Elvis at his very best, and of course it makes sense that the estate would prefer that people remember a healthier, more vibrant Elvis. But you have to deal with reality and truth here. To try and sidestep the truth is not going to keep people from knowing the truth--or from believing a twisted version of the truth. So rather than ignoring the last chapter of Elvis's story, why not re-write it in such a way that truth is represented, Elvis is still presented as positively as possible, and people aren't left to just imagine the worst?

Sat May 24, 2003 9:14 am

A good post BobbyTCB,
Bring on Elvis from '77, I loved him as much then as in '68.

Now watch some pick on that word I used "Loved" :wink:

:twisted:

Sat May 24, 2003 6:34 pm

The fact that they showed ELV1S performing "Unchained Melody" on the "Elvis Lives" special - with a "introduction" from Bono that he describes as "the Elvis I like - he turned into an Opera singer" - - - shows that EPE will definately not keep the '77 Elvis "hidden".

But as much as I want to see the CBS footage - I think they're doing the right thing. I couldn't STAND the 80's when you heard absolutely nothing but negative news and stories about ELV1S. It was terrible. It's definately a lot better now.

Rich

Sat May 24, 2003 6:50 pm

BobbyTCB wrote:I am not suggesting that showing more footage, for example, from the CBS special footage would put all the rumors to rest. But let's face it: the aforementioned Hurt and Unchained Melody, as well as quite a few others in my opinion, are strong, impressive performances--regardless of whether songs like those are your cup of tea. So showcasing them in some manner should at least impress upon people that Elvis was not an amazingly obese, incoherent, disinterested has-been who had lost all vocal ability and any semblance of the superstar he had once been.

Vocally I would agree that both “Hurt” and “Unchained Melody” would be worthy of a place in the show. With regards to the film footage though, I think there is such a change in Elvis’ physical appearance between 1973 and 1977 that it would be quite shocking for the people who hadn’t seen this footage before, if it was included in the set list for “Elvis The Concert.” I’m not suggesting that these performances should never be shown, it’s just that I don’t think “Elvis The Concert” is the right platform for them.

“Unchained Melody” was used to good effect at the end of “The Great Performances – Centre Stage”, and it did show that despite all Elvis’ problems at the end of his life he was still capable of good vocal performances. I think similar footage could and should be used in EPE’s anthology, because it is necessary to tell the whole story. However, I see “Elvis The Concert” as a celebration of the best elements of the ‘70’s concert experience, and think that it’s only right that the show concentrates on Elvis when he was at his very best.

Sat May 24, 2003 6:57 pm

Just imagine how heartwarming it would be to hear and see "Unchained melody" performed in the concertvenues.
To me it would be the ultimate emotion,it would be an ultimate proof he was the king then and now.