More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

merry77
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: New FTD releases in July 2022!.

Post by merry77 »

On Tape 1972 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:11 pm
Show 3 at the Sahara Tahoe is rock solid. Elvis is in a good mood, very focused and keeps his audience interactions far and between. Especially the ballads are performed incredibly well (!). Eliasson's trademark-mastering with its prominent bass works great on what would otherwise be a pretty dry sounding tape. The show is 100% complete, no tape-turning or anything. The balanced soundstage (considering this is "just" a regular soundboard) and the scarcity of these recordings makes this release an essential purchase. It's too bad many a fan who picked up Takin' Tahoe back in 2003 is no longer around for this one.
I agree.
I started with disc 3, being a new show and all. Sounded very good. And the version of Help me make it through the night is the best ever. I've always had the one from May 13th as the best, but to have that in soundboard is fantastic.

Not entirely sure about disc 2.
It maybe sound booth recording by professional people, but I can still hear people talking now and again. So to me this is just as equal to a good audience recording, where the person recording is restraining him/herself.
It seems I already have the show of CD2 under Feb 20th 1973 Midnight show.
But I'm not complaining as this release is in much better quality then what I had from audience recording.

Joined this board exactly 30 years after Elvis show in Phoenix, Arizona to celebrate this wonderful fact.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

TCK_KING wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:46 pm
Johnny2523 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:19 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:44 am
Regarding the session release,one thing is that there is very little unreleased takes…if any…or maybe one.
But why couldnt they at least have the takes without fadeout so we could hear how the songs are ended?
Like all Echoes Of Love takes have a fadeout….not even one runs to the very end :(
I can understand that they would fadeout all tracks on the mainstream Sony label but not on FTD.
Because perhaps they were recorded that way
LOL recorded with fadeout :smt003
Oh and many times we have them complete on bootleg but not on these "Complete Sessions" releases.
We've had sessions before where they were recorded with a fade-out. It's not out of the question.
Do we have any of the songs on this CD set without fade-outs on other releases? I don't have time to check it out now.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:57 am
TCK_KING wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
Regarding the session release,one thing is that there is very little unreleased takes…if any…or maybe one.
But why couldnt they at least have the takes without fadeout so we could hear how the songs are ended?
Like all Echoes Of Love takes have a fadeout….not even one runs to the very end :(
I can understand that they would fadeout all tracks on the mainstream Sony label but not on FTD.
Oh and many times we have them complete on bootleg but not on these "Complete Sessions" releases.
We've had sessions before where they were recorded with a fade-out. It's not out of the question.
Do we have any of the songs on this CD set without fade-outs on other releases? I don't have time to check it out now.
?!?
What session would that be?

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

LSP-4445 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:45 am
Johnny2523 wrote:
TCK_KING wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
?!?
Correction, where it APPEARED to be recorded with fade outs, we have some of the 1970 nashville stuff like Whole Lotta Shakin,' goin on which fades out with Elvis even telling them to as well as other occasions, separate ways seems to also have fade outs goin by the standing room only ftd
We have the viva las vegas sessions which sounds like most songs were recorded with fade outs, same thing with some of the stay away joe sessions and other sessions.
And it's not that weird if they did a live fade out..

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

LSP-4445
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by LSP-4445 »

Johnny2523 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:38 pm
LSP-4445 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:45 am
Johnny2523 wrote:
TCK_KING wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:
?!?
Correction, where it APPEARED to be recorded with fade outs, we have some of the 1970 nashville stuff like Whole Lotta Shakin,' goin on which fades out with Elvis even telling them to as well as other occasions, separate ways seems to also have fade outs goin by the standing room only ftd
We have the viva las vegas sessions which sounds like most songs were recorded with fade outs, same thing with some of the stay away joe sessions and other sessions.
And it's not that weird if they did a live fade out..
I`m sure fade outs was made after the recording sessions when FJ and others was doing overdubbing work.
It doesnt make sense to fade out while recording and imo Elvis`comment during "Whole Lotta Shakin" is just E having a good time and therefore making this fun remark.
Things like Separate Ways is not faded on bootleg,just had a listen.

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

portlandjulian
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

Post by portlandjulian »

There is a quick review video of The Lost Album that has been put on YouTube (not mine) !

The Swamp Fox

Post by The Swamp Fox »

steve in sc3 wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:17 am
Email from Graceland today. Mine have shipped!!
I just received my shipping confirmation a few minutes ago.

LEX TALIONIS

STAY FROSTY, STAY STRAPPED, AND STAY DANGEROUS!

WEAK MEN CREATE HARD TIMES

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by joekro1977 »

The Swamp Fox wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:41 pm
steve in sc3 wrote:
Same here - first time in a long time I'm super excited for a new FTD product.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

ForeverElvis

Post by ForeverElvis »

The Swamp Fox wrote:
steve in sc3 wrote:
Mine has shipped too.!

Always Elvis
Anthony

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Just listened to them…

The live set is good. The Vegas shows are for me a bit of a let down. The sound on the first (the better one) is very audience-like and the second sounds better but is quite weak. The problem with the shows is that there is at least a show from the season in incredible sound quality (Vegas rhythm), so these new shows pale in comparison. They could have released that show and feature the “rare” sound booth performances as bonus tracks (like burning love or i'm leavin').

now the good: the tahoe show is great. and the sound too. In my opinion it’s a better show than the 3 am where Elvis sounds a bit tired (understandable, as it was the third show).

The complete 63-64 sessions set is great. And the booklet gives us new info, like the sales of the 60-63 albums in the first six months after the release date . More on the sound later

Iván

La voz del Rey

Mona Lisa
Registered for: 3 years 6 months

Post by Mona Lisa »

frus75 wrote:Just listened to them…

The live set is good. The Vegas shows are for me a bit of a let down. The sound on the first (the better one) is very audience-like and the second sounds better but is quite weak. The problem with the shows is that there is at least a show from the season in incredible sound quality (Vegas rhythm), so these new shows pale in comparison. They could have released that show and feature the “rare” sound booth performances as bonus tracks (like burning love or i'm leavin').

now the good: the tahoe show is great. and the sound too. In my opinion it’s a better show than the 3 am where Elvis sounds a bit tired (understandable, as it was the third show). The complete 63-64 sessions set is great. And the booklet gives us new info, like the sales of the 60-63 albums in the first six months after the release date . More on the sound later
The Tahoe show is the prize from the three. I'm enjoying it loads . The audience witnessed a good show this midnight ...

'Elvis sings: ''I want you to do me a favour , take the ribbon from your hair '' ...on a great version of HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT.
Plus a solid STEAMROLLER BLUES as James Burton uncorks plenty of blues licks . And I particarly like the medley too , it's great fun ...

'I'm Leaving' is a highlight too . All the ballads are superb here as mentioned by an earlier post.
After a standard SUSPICIOUS MINDS the intros kick-in and I love the delicious laid back jazzy backing which sounds simply devine here .

All instruments are well balanced throughout the performance . (However the bass is heavy but I adjust my treble setting accordingly ).

I adore it when James Burton hits the wah-wah pedal ---and HOUND DOG includes plenty -- real funky here .

You know the TAHOE shows are kinda mythical and rare. For fans to get one released in this quality is very welcome indeed...

More later ...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mona Lisa on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mona Lisa men have named you ...

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

Mine arrived yesterday and I went with both the sessions set and the sound booth/soundboard set in the end. I enjoyed reading Ernst’ narrative and whilst i could not see anything that leapt off the pages that probably has not been covered elsewhere in FTD releases, I always find his words as a fan as being straight forward and not written in such a way just to elevate things because it is Elvis. If he feels that some of the music was weak or out of touch with the times, and he wrote as much in his book, A Life in Music, he is never afraid to say so.

But it is a shame that a studio album containing the best recordings never materialised in 1963/64 although it begs the question as to how the Colonel and RCA would have filled out some of those later soundtrack albums without pushing Elvis back into the recording studio.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

ORION
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by ORION »

My Boy... My Boy... I don't know if Ernst or Cisco or someone else peruses this site or not (well, I know Cisco does), but after receiving ELVIS: FROM VEGAS TO TAHOE this week I feel that somebody listens to some of the request made here. After the ELVIS: LAS VEGAS 1973 release, there were those on here who made it clear they'd welcome additional BOOTH recordings. While I enjoy the first DISC of this set (and have since the Ft. Baxter release), I can't say I was expecting another semi-set of BOOTH recordings which is what this set was purported to be (after I had already pre-ordered it since no one in the FTD camp ever discloses much if any details about such things) so soon. So...

After spending a couple of days with this set, I still feel that this is a nicely recorded AR instead of a BOOTH recording unless there is a male and female couple sitting in the sound booth area. Their clapping and talking is very clear and present on the recording and Elvis' vocals - while clear - are more distant than on the recording made (from the Booth) during the August season. Since no one at FTD will let us buyers (shouldn't buyers have the right to know what they are getting ?) know what it is, I am afraid there might be a day in the not too distant future where we (the staunch FTD supporters) might get more ARs on the label that until we receive it are believing it to be a soundboard release.

As far as the set on a whole, I'm on the fence. I guess I still harbor resentment thinking I was getting three "new" unheard shows in soundboard quality. Oh well, I guess that dead horse isn't going to get up... The third Disc is obviously the best of the lot due to it being an excellent soundboard quality sound. The show is also very entertaining and Elvis is in fine voice and mostly committed to delivering a focused performance. The other two shows aren't bad either and the second Disc is recorded better than the first and are nice shows as well.

So, my only hope that if someone on here who has the ear of FTD or are on the FTD team, please let us buyers know what were are ordering from the start. I don't think that's too much to ask for those of us who have been there from the beginning and have FOLLOWED THAT DREAM (see what I did there :D ) Ernst had.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

portlandjulian wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:35 am
There is a quick review video of The Lost Album that has been put on YouTube (not mine) !

She's a cutie and I love her channel.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

elvinda58
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by elvinda58 »

I ordered the 2 cd's from Now Dig This yesterday (thursday) and received them this morning (friday) along with the Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind book. now that is speedy delivery!

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

elvinda58 wrote:I ordered the 2 cd's from Now Dig This yesterday (thursday) and received them this morning (friday) along with the Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind book. now that is speedy delivery!
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on them ...

lucio

Post by lucio »

ORION wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:22 am
My Boy... My Boy... I don't know if Ernst or Cisco or someone else peruses this site or not (well, I know Cisco does), but after receiving ELVIS: FROM VEGAS TO TAHOE this week I feel that somebody listens to some of the request made here. After the ELVIS: LAS VEGAS 1973 release, there were those on here who made it clear they'd welcome additional BOOTH recordings. While I enjoy the first DISC of this set (and have since the Ft. Baxter release), I can't say I was expecting another semi-set of BOOTH recordings which is what this set was purported to be (after I had already pre-ordered it since no one in the FTD camp ever discloses much if any details about such things) so soon. So...

After spending a couple of days with this set, I still feel that this is a nicely recorded AR instead of a BOOTH recording unless there is a male and female couple sitting in the sound booth area. Their clapping and talking is very clear and present on the recording and Elvis' vocals - while clear - are more distant than on the recording made (from the Booth) during the August season. Since no one at FTD will let us buyers (shouldn't buyers have the right to know what they are getting ?) know what it is, I am afraid there might be a day in the not too distant future where we (the staunch FTD supporters) might get more ARs on the label that until we receive it are believing it to be a soundboard release.

As far as the set on a whole, I'm on the fence. I guess I still harbor resentment thinking I was getting three "new" unheard shows in soundboard quality. Oh well, I guess that dead horse isn't going to get up... The third Disc is obviously the best of the lot due to it being an excellent soundboard quality sound. The show is also very entertaining and Elvis is in fine voice and mostly committed to delivering a focused performance. The other two shows aren't bad either and the second Disc is recorded better than the first and are nice shows as well.

So, my only hope that if someone on here who has the ear of FTD or are on the FTD team, please let us buyers know what were are ordering from the start. I don't think that's too much to ask for those of us who have been there from the beginning and have FOLLOWED THAT DREAM (see what I did there :D ) Ernst had.
Funny, I preferred cd1 to cd2 sound wise. I do agree that cd1 sounds more like an audience recording with the audience noise but it seemed to be at the correct speed. Cd2 sounded a bit fast to me but as you said more soundbooth than audience.

That being said, I repeat my earlier comment that soundbooth and soundboards should be separate releases so that we can choose which we prefer. Personally I would not buy a soundbooth but would pick up every soundboard new to my collection.

As far as the concerts I enjoyed the different sounding versions of many tracks on cd1, especially Steamroller which has a much more of a blues feel to it.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

elvinda58 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:48 pm
I ordered the 2 cd's from Now Dig This yesterday (thursday) and received them this morning (friday) along with the Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind book. now that is speedy delivery!
You simply cannot beat Now Dig This for speedy delivery in the UK, although I can't see myself ordering these two sets unfortunately.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

lucio wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:50 pm
That being said, I repeat my earlier comment that soundbooth and soundboards should be separate releases so that we can choose which we prefer. Personally I would not buy a soundbooth but would pick up every soundboard new to my collection.
I agree that soundbooth/audience recordings and soundboard recordings should be separate releases. I collect soundboards and multitrack only. I make exceptions for soundbooth/audience recordings of rare songs as bonus material, like "You Can Have Her", but I am not interested in full shows. No disrespect to people who enjoy them, though. Keep them separate and we can all be happy... :D

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

This Tahoe '73 show was a treat to listen to. Very nice sound and good show as well. It surprises me that it took 22 years for this release to see the light of day. I'd much rather have this 1973 soundboard recording over most anything that came later. It makes a feller wonder what nice little treats may still be yet to come.

Regardless, this fan very much enjoyed this show.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

Rob wrote:This Tahoe '73 show was a treat to listen to. Very nice sound and good show as well. It surprises me that it took 22 years for this release to see the light of day. I'd much rather have this 1973 soundboard recording over most anything that came later. It makes a feller wonder what nice little treats may still be yet to come.

Agree. Great show ...

It deserved a 7" release with additional info booklet , if they could find photos etc ...

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by paulsweeney »

Rob wrote:This Tahoe '73 show was a treat to listen to. Very nice sound and good show as well. It surprises me that it took 22 years for this release to see the light of day. I'd much rather have this 1973 soundboard recording over most anything that came later. It makes a feller wonder what nice little treats may still be yet to come.

How’s was the sound in your car Rob?

ale
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by ale »

Hope we get any from march 74 next.....specially the second Tulsa show

On Tape 1972
Registered for: 1 year 10 months

Post by On Tape 1972 »

paulsweeney wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:44 pm

How’s was the sound in your car Rob?
Rob listens on high-end-headphones only. Everybody knows that.