Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Good Times Never Seemed So Good CD

Wed May 21, 2003 6:43 pm

I just got this release and am blown away! The sound is amazing. I feel like this is the first time I've heard these songs. I not a BMG basher (well, maybe sometimes), but what did they do to these songs on the official releases to make them sound so bland? Take the song "The Wonder of You"- I've heard the released version all my life. I was 16 years old when it was released as a single. I'm really tired of hearing the song to be honest. But hearing it on "Good Times Never Seemed So Good" was almost like hearing a new version of it. I've played it over and over and can't stop noticing the differences. BMG's version is lounge-style almost- the drums are muted, the horns are sometimes completely gone- as well as some of the Sweets vocals. On "Good Times..." the drums rock, the horn blare, the whole band is rocking! So it is with evert track on the CD. BMG- what were you thinking??? Am I alone in feeling this way? What are your observations and comments?

Nashnet

Thu May 22, 2003 1:16 am

It is a very enjoyable CD. Sometimes hearing a "pure" recording is exciting as you get whatever they ended up doing that show.

However, a close listen to "The Wonder Of You" reveals some very off-key backing vocals from the Sweet Inspirations due to a poor stage monitor system -- they couldn't hear Elvis or the band very well. It couldn't have been issued "as is."

Here's the FECC review:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/goodtimes.html

Nice Review

Thu May 22, 2003 1:31 am

Nice review Johnny. :wink:

Thu May 22, 2003 9:33 am

The reason why the songs sound so clean is that they used a transfer of these songs straight from acetates that someone in the US supplied.

The songs were cleaned up from acetate clicks manually and not by removing high frequencies (the way Ft Baxter often works). That way clicks are removed and the sound remains clean.
No extra

In the review by Johnny it is questioned why Suspicious minds wasn´t included. All I know is that they would have done that if the song was available. What songs they had, they released.

Thu May 22, 2003 10:03 am

Thanks for that info Merijn :)

I really love this CD, it's one of my favourite 1970 live shows. When I heard it for the first time, I didn't know it was almost the same show as used on "Elvis On Stage". The sound is stunning! It's like having a complete new show.

A pitty that Capt. Marvel isn't releasing any new imports anymore :cry: