Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is it just me??

Wed May 21, 2003 6:13 pm

Is it just me or does the upcoming FTD "The Chinese Dragon" sound incredibly boring? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for soundboard releases (even in MONO), but with everything else that's in the vaults, why this one?
Let the praise and bashing begin!

Tom

Wed May 21, 2003 6:17 pm

It must have some unique rare performance to warrant release.

There are alot of great quality soundboards at RCA but Ernst passes over those that have boring redundant setlists. Of course, this is due to what Elvis was in the mood to sing - and often just the same ol same ol (esp. in 1976 tours) that's why BMG is picky about what shows are interesting enough in content. Apparently they feel this Chinese Dragon show is interesting - even if the mono format and date/location is not.

ftd

Wed May 21, 2003 6:19 pm

Yeah its probably just you.
Whatever they choose will be wrong to some one.
either buy it or dont ,everyone knows what the traclisting is, the choice is theirs
nick

Wed May 21, 2003 6:36 pm

Nick,
I think you hit the nail on the head. Not every release is going to appeal to everyone. The ever-growing debate on "Too Much Monkey Business" has proven that. I'm sure that I'll still buy this one to support the label, though. Thanks

Tom

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:51 pm

yep, its true there is no accounting for taste in the sense that i seem to be the only person who likes TMMB <also the "in a private moment" disc>
Personally i tend to skip the sound boards , but i should accept lotsa people like them ,in the end though we all win with the ftd label ,we just have to show patience till one that we like comes around.
For a while back recently it seemed that they were only going to release soundboard/live stuff but studio b made it up for me .
i just hope that the final part of the studio trilogy is on the horizon soon.
regards nick

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:53 pm

yep, its true there is no accounting for taste in the sense that i seem to be the only person who likes TMMB <also the "in a private moment" disc>
Personally i tend to skip the sound boards , but i should accept lotsa people like them ,in the end though we all win with the ftd label ,we just have to show patience till one that we like comes around.
For a while back recently it seemed that they were only going to release soundboard/live stuff but studio b made it up for me .
regards nick

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:54 pm

regards nick

ftds

regards nick

ftds

regards nick 8)

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:56 pm

regards nick 8)

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:57 pm

regards nick 8)

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 6:57 pm

regards nick 8)

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 7:01 pm

regards nick 8)

ftds

Wed May 21, 2003 7:03 pm

regards nick 8)

Wed May 21, 2003 8:01 pm

Nick,

That's quite a stutter you have there. :lol:

Tom

Wed May 21, 2003 8:39 pm

ONE MORE TIME.....

Wed May 21, 2003 8:42 pm

On the face of it this does look like a standard 1974 show. There was a time when we would all be looking forward to live versions of songs such as “It’s Midnight” and “Big Boss Man”, but after countless bootleg soundboard releases, and the material released by RCA and FTD in recent years, I don’t think there is much left on the soundboard recordings that is really going to surprise us. Having said that, the two soundboard shows that have been released from October 6 in Dayton, do show Elvis in better spirits than his summer 1974 Las Vegas performances, or the show he gave in College Park on September 28, so whilst there may be no surprises here for the serious collector, if Elvis is in good spirits, and good voice, it could still be an enjoyable performance.

Wed May 21, 2003 9:56 pm

I appreciate everything that comes out of FTD - no question.

But, personally, I heard all I want from 1974 - with exception of the January-February Vegas stint (of which I've heard nothing).
I think I have listened to "It's Midnight" once.

Part of the problem is all of the '74 soundboard shows that have been released on "Imports".
It's just a personal opinion but I find the '74 shows quite dull.

Wed May 21, 2003 10:09 pm

Don't you guys feel that you get to a point when you've collected a lot of soundboards and audience recordings that you are mainly buying them for the between song dialogue and general feel of the show as a whole - I do - not because I need to have 500 + versions of CC Rider that's for sure.

I kinda consider each live disc in my collection as my ticket to another Elvis Presley show - many may be very similar, yet each is unique in it's own way.

Wed May 21, 2003 10:12 pm

Good point Clint, I agree.

Tom

Wed May 21, 2003 10:39 pm

Interesting point, Clint.

I guess the thing that bothers me is listening to Elvis tear through some of his "classics" over and over again.
And, some of that banter from his '74 shows is pretty "out there", even embarrassing at times.
It makes for a somewhat difficult listen when your talking about shows from 1974.
For some reason he just doesn't sound interested. Even the shows from 1975 are an astounding improvement over the '74 summer and fall shows.
I don't know, maybe it's the song selection as well.

Wed May 21, 2003 10:57 pm

Folks, bear in mind that the vast majority of what BMG has on soundboard is from 1974 & 76. That said, I do think that the May 13, 73 Tahoe show should've come before this South Bend show. On the other hand, this South Bend show may be such an impressive performance for this not too highly regarded tour that Ernst thinks we should have it. As for the Jan./Feb. 74 Vegas engagement, I'd be perfectly satisfied with a complilation of the absolute best performances of every song done during this engagement rather than one complete show.

Re: ftds

Thu May 22, 2003 3:52 am

nforan wrote:yep, its true there is no accounting for taste in the sense that i seem to be the only person who likes TMMB, regards nick 8)

Hey there's two of us, I like TMMB (There's a couple more around who do as well)

:D

Thu May 22, 2003 7:40 am

:shock: I think people should stop moaning and 'pre-judjing shows'-lets face it this will be one of the better shows from this tour to get released and that's no bad thing is it??? wait till it comes out Tom!

sssssstuttter

Thu May 22, 2003 11:41 am

:D
I apologise on behalf of my computer , it went all rabid on me, its been dealt with in the most extreme measure...
hi sam ,i shoulda known you had taste with a login pic like that.
take care nick