Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

C C Rider vs See See Rider

Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:26 pm

Is there any explanation for the 2 different writings of this title ?

Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:34 pm

No, my opinion would be just the way it's sounds/written, that is some think it's spelt See See Rider, whereas my understanding is that the correct spelling is C C Rider...as the it stands for C(country) C(circuit) Rider, it's a song about Country Circuit preachers (priests) from the Southern States of the U.S. I think that's correct :lol:

Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:56 pm

Hi Ray, i guess the correct spelling is COUNTY Circuit Rider - originated by an old traditional, but "re-invented" by Chuck Willis in 1957. This is - as far as I know - the reason why Elvis' version was always spelt See See Rider. It's to stay away from paying for some copyright reasons.

CC Rider Lyrics

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:05 pm

Can anyone post the original lyrics to "CC Rider"?

I've never heard or seen the lyrics for the original arrangment but I understand E's version is quite different.

:)

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:12 pm

Another thing about the '57 Chuck Willis hit is that if they DID get some kind of publishing credit, it was ridiculous, then, as the tune, even then, was an ancient, traditional blues of unknown origin, as far as I know. (Or did Bessie Smith or someone first do it?) So to get around it, perhaps fairly enough, they called it "See See Rider"? Interesting.

I've also seen some blues artists do it with that spelling. It seems more accidental than anything, because, like the lyrics of "Rubberneckin', you are kind of left wondering what, why, and wherefore, etc.

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:24 pm

Hi Taniolo, how's things ? yes, you're right it is County....I think I must have been suffering to much sun today...typing country :lol:

Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:38 pm

Hi Ray, doin' fine although the sun shines not that bright. But this seems to explain something. :wink: Happy Easter and kind regards to E.

@elvis-fan:

Here is the Willis version so far:

Well now see., C. C. Rider,
well now see, see what you have done.
Well now see., C. C. Rider,
well now see, see what you have done.
Well you made me love you woman,
Now your man has come.

So I'm goin' away now baby
And I won't be back till fall,
I'm goin' away now baby
And I won't be back till fall,
Just might find me a good girl
Might not be comin' back at all.

Well now see, C. C. Rider,
See now the moon is shining bright,
Well now see, C. C. Rider,
See now the moon is shining bright,
Just might find me that good girl
And everything would be alright

And here we have the one of Big Bill Broonzy, that probably may have been influenced by the same subject:

You C C Rider, see what you done done
C C Rider, you see what you done done
You C C Rider, you see what you done done
You done made me love you and now your man done come

My home is on the water, I don't like no land at all
Home's on the water and I don't like no land at all
My home's on the water and I don't like no land at all
I'd rather be dead than to stay here and be your dog

So you C C Rider, see what you done done

I'm goin' away babe, sure don't wanna go
Goin' away babe, but I sure don't wanna go
I'm goin' away babe, but I sure don't wanna go
When I'm leaving this town you will never see me no more

So you C C Rider, see what you done done

Home's on the water and I don't like no land at all
So goodbye baby I'm tired of being your dog

Tue May 27, 2003 9:07 pm

For Genesim...

Bye
Sonny

Tue May 27, 2003 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. Man I love this message board!

Tue May 27, 2003 9:43 pm

Ray -
County or country, either term is fine and convey the same idea. One thing though, these preachers weren't "priests." That's a Catholic term (Roman, Anglican, Orthodox). Protestant denominations would never refer to there preachers, pastors, ministers, ect. as priests. That's a big no no! Has to do with that business known as the reformation. The C.C. Riders' were likely southern Baptists, and as such, would be considered protestants. Sorry for getting into Religion Ray (and FECC) but I felt this needed some clarification.

Tue May 27, 2003 9:52 pm

In a way I am still trying to figure out what that has to do with the words of the song. Please help me, I am slow.

Tue May 27, 2003 9:56 pm

Ask Greg ! :lol:

Tue May 27, 2003 10:04 pm

Hey Greg do you know? happy Francesc. lol

Tue May 27, 2003 10:10 pm

Satisfy at least, lol I was kidding

Francesc

Tue May 27, 2003 10:12 pm

I was too. I know you. That goes without saying Francesc..then why did I just do that. lol

Tue May 27, 2003 10:13 pm

I am sorry to report that I don't know anything about County/Country Circuit Riders, or whatever they are.

However, not mentioned yet is that this song is often credited to Ma Rainey. Perhaps if one can find the lyrics to her version, which is alleged by some to be the original, it may shed some light on this discussion. I honestly don't know where this song came from, but that's one other place to look.

Greg

Tue May 27, 2003 10:15 pm

Is the person talking a CC Rider? Is he talking to one? Is He thanking one? Is he in leaving a CC Rider(not likely)?

Tue May 27, 2003 10:27 pm

Ok, I'll try to shed some light on this C.C. Rider business. As already mentioned C.C. Rider stands for County (or country) circuit preachers. Basically these preachers travelled the rural areas of the south preachin' the gospel at tent revivals and the like. Some of these characters were con-artists (some things never change) who would preach the gospel by day, but engage in carnel knowledge by night. Their preacher status also allowed them to free load off the locals in a given town. Anyway, the original is an old blues tune whose exact origin is unknown. The female is singing her blues to/about the C.C. Rider, whose had his way with her and left town. I hope this helps.

Tue May 27, 2003 10:31 pm

what does "engage in carnel knowledge by night." mean? sex?

Francesc

Tue May 27, 2003 10:39 pm

Cool Pete a BIG THANK YOU .

Tue May 27, 2003 10:42 pm

Francesc -

I think Pete meant carnal knowledge.

'Shagging' to you & me.

Colin B

Tue May 27, 2003 10:49 pm

Speaking of which. In the movie didn't Ann have the boob job. She sure looked trashy! I love it. lol

Tue May 27, 2003 11:26 pm

After searching a bit, here is what I have found:

See See Rider Blues.
Written by Gertrude Rainey and Lena Arant.
Recorded October 16, 1924 in New York by Ma Rainey and Her GEORGIA JAZZ BAND, with none other than Louis Armstrong on cornet.

I would guess that when Elvis started doing it, they were too lazy to look up the publishing rights for this one, or they just assumed it was public domain. At the time, publishing rights ran out after 50 years, so when E started doing it in 1970, they should have at least paid the royalties to whomever owned the rights to Rainey/Arant until at least 1974. Calling it traditional must have been an easy way for the Colonel to not have to worry about it. Some of the other artists that have done this song have the proper credit listed. This song was not public domain when E recorded it.

Greg

Tue May 27, 2003 11:39 pm

Some great-grandkids are due some money then, huh?

Tue May 27, 2003 11:45 pm

Greg -

Doesn't the RIAA oversee things to make sure royalties are paid properly ?

Colin B