Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

3rd Hawaii Show filmed in honolulu april 13th 1973

Wed May 21, 2003 1:08 pm

just wondering about this could there be another dress rehearsal like the one we have on dvd cause Elvis stated they will be here tommorow and tommorow night then we go on world wide television and need all the help i can get :)

I bring this up because Elvis had many new songs brought into the final show and they must of recorded them and did another show also before i bought the aloha on dvd the reheasal show i was under the empression that Elvis threw his cape out or his belt and they had to rush and get one made up cause the world wide show was the next night ????

also another interesting point i think james burton has played early morning rain and all the extra songs that were pre recorded with another guitar a blue one cause in both shows it's sitting on a stand just behind him ???

ok maybe some people might have some views on this

Cam

Wed May 21, 2003 4:23 pm

Post subject: 3rd Hawaii Show filmed in honolulu april 13th 1973

just wondering about this could there be another dress rehearsal like the one we have on dvd cause Elvis stated they will be here tommorow and tommorow night then we go on world wide television and need all the help i can get

I bring this up because Elvis had many new songs brought into the final show and they must of recorded them and did another show also before i bought the aloha on dvd the reheasal show i was under the empression that Elvis threw his cape out or his belt and they had to rush and get one made up cause the world wide show was the next night ????

1. There was never any show filmed in Hawaii on April 13, 1973
2. Elvis' actual quote was: "... we'll be here tomorrow, and tomorrow night we go on worldwide television..."
3. The new songs (Johnny B Goode and LTS/WLSGO medley) were added to extend the time of the show to a full 75 minutes.
4. Elvis threw his belt into the audience after American Trilogy and his cape after CHFIL on the Satellite telecast show - January 14, 1973
5. The rehearsal show was performed and filmed January 12, 1973
6. There was not a third show in Hawaii in January 1973.

Wed May 21, 2003 4:49 pm

Since Elvis performed the rehearsal show on the evening of January 12, 1973 he was correct in saying that the satellite show was the following evening. However, since the show did not begin until 12.30am local time, the date has always been noted as January 14.

Wed May 21, 2003 8:23 pm

I think the original Aloha belt was given to the actor Jack Lord sometime before the rehearsal show, but Bill Belew flew out a replacement in time for the rehearsal (and therefore) the main performance. As others have already pointed out, there was definitely no additional rehearsal show on the 13th, and there certainly wouldn’t be any need for a second rehearsal show for the sole purpose of running through “Johnny B. Goode” and “Long Tall Sally/Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”, as these songs were chosen because Elvis already knew them.

It’s also worth noting that amongst the “eight songs never recorded before by Elvis”, that the album cover made reference to “Something” had been performed live during 1970 and 1971, “You Gave Me A Mountain” and “It’s Over” had been part of Elvis’ live repertoire since February 1972, and “My Way”, (which had already been attempted in the studio during June 1971) and “What Now My Love” had been added to Elvis’ stage act for his 1972 Summer Festival in Las Vegas. This meant that the only songs that were being performed on January 12, 1973 for the first time were “Steamroller Blues”, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”, and “Welcome To My World”.

It’s also worth noting that Elvis played three concerts in Hawaii between November 17 – 18th 1972, and a many of the songs that were included in the satellite broadcast were also performed during these shows.

Wed May 21, 2003 8:42 pm

rockinrebel wrote:It’s also worth noting that amongst the “eight songs never recorded before by Elvis”, that the album cover made reference to “Something” had been performed live during 1970 and 1971, “You Gave Me A Mountain” and “It’s Over” had been part of Elvis’ live repertoire since February 1972, and “My Way”, (which had already been attempted in the studio during June 1971) and “What Now My Love” had been added to Elvis’ stage act for his 1972 Summer Festival in Las Vegas. This meant that the only songs that were being performed on January 12, 1973 for the first time were “Steamroller Blues”, “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”, and “Welcome To My World”.

It’s also worth noting that Elvis played three concerts in Hawaii between November 17 – 18th 1972, and a many of the songs that were included in the satellite broadcast were also performed during these shows.

Good point rockinrebel.

It was on the RCA album release of the Aloha show that contained the quote about "Eight songs never recorded before by Elvis".
This was RCA's way of saying that Elvis' versions of the eight songs were being released for the FIRST time. Perhaps the tag line should've been "Eight songs never released by Elvis" or something like it.

Thank you rockinrebel for noticing it.

Tom (from Ohio)

Wed May 21, 2003 8:55 pm

I think that due to the success of the “Elvis As Recorded Live On Stage At Madison Square Garden” album both Elvis and RCA were under pressure to make the Aloha show, and its soundtrack album considerably different from the MSG project, so that they could sell the show to the public. Of course to most of the people who bought the album in 1973 the eight new songs would have been just that, and with the addition of Elvis’ 1972 hit “Burning Love”, “Johnny B. Goode”, “Blue Suede Shoes”, “Fever”, “I’ll Remember You”, “Long Tall Sally/ Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On”, and “Big Hunk O’Love”, they came up with a set list that was considerably different to the June 10, 1972 Madison Square Garden evening performance, that had been released the previous summer.

Wed May 21, 2003 11:08 pm

Rockinrebel -
I thought Elvis had performed Steamroller Blues at least once during the Aug./Sept. 72 Vegas engagement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wed May 21, 2003 11:20 pm

Pete, you are totall right. Steamroller Blues was performed once during the August / September 1972 Las Vegas engagement.....during the August 7th 1972 Midnight Show.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Wed May 21, 2003 11:29 pm

Yes, a 3rd Aloha Show does exist, along with other pro-filmed shows from Hawaii 1961, Memphis 1961, Las Vegas 1969, and Lake Tahoe 1971, along with Stereo-Soundboard Recordings from every Las Vegas & Lake Tahoe show ever performed, and Long Island NY 1975 (both shows), Asheville NC 1973 (all 3 shows), Atlanta GA 12-31-76, Pittsburgh PA 12-31-76, and Indianapolis IN 8-1977.
This entire collection can be purchased from Paul L. for the low budget price of $495,000,000,000.95 plus $5.00 postage and handling
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Wed May 21, 2003 11:32 pm

I'm sorry friends, I wasn't trying to be mean or sarcastic, just having a bit of fun (or trying to). I hope I will be forgiven :cry:

Wed May 21, 2003 11:43 pm

Oh yeah really funny

Asheville NC 1973 (all 3 shows),

That was 1975.

Francesc

Thu May 22, 2003 2:34 am

There are two belts associated with the Aloha shows. One was given to Jack Lord prior to the actual Aloha event. A replacement belt was delivered and that particular belt was given to some lucky fan in the audience. The belts are in in the Lord collection and private hands, respectively, to this very day.

A bogus Aloha belt was sold in Jimmy Velvet's 2nd Butterfield auction in 1995. It was said to have been given out by Elvis during the rehearsal show. As we all know, there was no belt given out during the rehearsal show. This was before the Alternate Aloha video was ever "officially" released. The belt sold for around $35,000. Charming, huh? Hence, one of my reasons for viewing Velvet as "less than Golden."

N8
...just a fan....

Thu May 22, 2003 2:57 am

Pete and Stefan,

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling Elvis had performed “Steamroller Blues” in 1972, but I couldn’t find any set lists to back this up, and now I’ve realised that there’s a review of the August 7th show in the “Jumpsuit Junkies” section of this site. Could anyone tell me whether this show been bootlegged?

Thu May 22, 2003 5:18 am

I believe it's a "bonus" cut on Ampex's No Fooling Around.

Thu May 22, 2003 6:16 am

Francesc, Thank you so much for correcting my un-excused mistake.
As punishment for my error, I will persuade the owner of all the material I listed to also include the SOUNDBOARD recording of the 3rd Hawaii show from 73 (2 Cd set).