Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Johnny B. Goode (The Chinese Dragon)--Setting the Record

Wed May 21, 2003 4:49 am

Many people over the www have commented on the 4 minute version of Johnny B. Goode which will be released on the upcoming FTD "The Chinese Dragon." It is my belief that this is a basic version of the song, standard for 1974, with dialogue following the tune. I have heard that Elvis did what became more and more common in the later years--introduced his sound team and his father. He also mentioned the rings on his fingers, which the audience "payed for." So, for those of you who think you're gonna get the "Johnny B." from 1969 +, you're setting yourself up for disappointment!

Elvis Fan

AOL USERS

Wed May 21, 2003 4:50 am

To FECC:

Are the problems with AOL users continuing? They are for me.

Wed May 21, 2003 4:53 am

Let's wait and here what we get before complaining about it.
(Unless you have already heard it)

:twisted:

Wed May 21, 2003 4:58 am

Many people over the www have commented on the 4 minute version of Johnny B. Goode which will be released on the upcoming FTD "The Chinese Dragon." It is my belief that this is a basic version of the song, standard for 1974, with dialogue following the tune. I have heard that Elvis did what became more and more common in the later years--introduced his sound team and his father. He also mentioned the rings on his fingers, which the audience "payed for." So, for those of you who think you're gonna get the "Johnny B." from 1969 +, you're setting yourself up for disappointment!

I appreciate that this is what you believe but I was curious to know the facts.
I'm not anticipating hearing "Johnny B Goode" as performed by Elvis circa 1969 in a 1974 show.
Unless someone knows the real story, I guess I will have to wait and see.

Wed May 21, 2003 5:09 am

Fellow elvis-fan,

I am not trying to "rain on anyone's parade" here. I have seen more than one posting regarding the 4 minute version of this song. Judging by the time alotted to the last 3 or 4 songs, I would venture to say this is when Elvis introduced his father and showed off his rings. I live in South Bend, attended the great University of Notre Dame, and know several people (including family members) who attended Elvis' concerts at ND. Sure, this is purely speculative. But--at least in my opinion--it is most likely why we have a 4 minute track. But, as we know, time will tell.

Believe me when I tell you that I am perhaps the most excited Elvis Fan with regard to this FTD release. I have been pushing for the release of Elvis' 9-30-74 concert from ND, which was spectacular. I was heartbroken to find out that only half the show was caught on soundboard. But, I am more than happy to get 10-1 officially released.

Take care,

Elvis Fan

Wed May 21, 2003 5:18 am

You attended the almighty ND? What years?
Were you around during the great years with Lou Holtz?

I have visited the campus many times but unfortunately never attended.
What an amazing place to be at any time of year.
Man, it gives me chills just walking through the hallways.

As soon as my first son was born I got an application for him to apply.
Absolutely NO KIDDING.

GO IRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed May 21, 2003 4:35 pm

elvis-fan,

I graduated from ND in May of 2000. Words really can't describe how special the university and its campus truly are. No wonder why Elvis was up for his first two performances, especially with ND football coming off a National Championship season in '73.

Elvis Fan

Wed May 21, 2003 8:05 pm

Johnny B is probably a little longer than the short version that we all know. Most likely with two verses and a guitar solo (something like the Aloha version hopefully) I bet those 4 minutes include the pre-Hawaiian Wedding Song dialogue, about Elvis telling us how real that wedding was in Blue Hawaii.
It's exciting to hear Johnny B Goode performed a little later on in the show, and not as a fifty second throw away version during the intro's

Sonny

Re: AOL USERS

Wed May 21, 2003 8:11 pm

Elvis Fan wrote:To FECC:

Are the problems with AOL users continuing? They are for me.

YEP! I still have to minimize AOL and then bring up Explorer (which is what AOL uses) so it doesn't make much sense.

Wed May 21, 2003 11:15 pm

Couldn't the inclusion of the "gunny sack" verse, which he is known to have sung at one of the South Bend shows (I'm not sure which one) account for some of the longer playing time? Or is this wishful thinking on my part.

Wed May 21, 2003 11:27 pm

Pete, the "gunny sack" verse was sung at the Sept. 1974 South Bend concert and (most probably) not during the October 1st performence which is going to be featured on the next FTD.

Hopefuly he did it also on October 1st, but most probably the longer playing time include the dialogue proceeding The Hawaiian Wedding Song.....(you know: "which of you have seen the movie Blue Hawii?? Probably the most requested song........")

Kind ragards,
Stefan

Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am

Thank you Stefan. And thanks also for responding to my Steamroller Blues post on the other thread.