Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

mono soundboard

Tue May 20, 2003 9:23 pm

"This is a soundboard recording in mono"

What exactly does this mean?

Tue May 20, 2003 9:28 pm

Elvis Fan -

Well, these soundboard recordings are sometimes in stereo.

This one isn't.

Colin B

Tue May 20, 2003 11:24 pm

Does this effect the overall sound quality?

Wed May 21, 2003 12:59 am

No way..... of course most of all prefer stereo recordings, because they offer a more 3D feel to music...

But the soundquality of a mono recording can be really, really good. Pet Sounds (from the Beach Boys) was only available in mono (even the 24bit releases) untill just a few years ago...

Wed May 21, 2003 1:45 am

Well, these soundboard recordings are sometimes in stereo.
This one isn't.

Hey Colin!

I'm not sure what you mean by this?
As far as I understand, pretty much all of the soundboard recordings of live concerts were mono.
Are you refering to something else?

Wed May 21, 2003 1:54 am

elvis-fan -

A soundboard recording doesn't have to be mono.

I'm no expert on live stuff, but I'm sure others on here can quote you chapter & verse on which Elvis soundboards are stereo.

Colin B

Wed May 21, 2003 3:44 am

i thought most were in mono?
especially ones recorded on cassette .
the reels were stereo ?

Wed May 21, 2003 4:27 am

Hi again Colin.

Sorry for the confusion on this but I'm almost positive that the recordings made from the soundboard for Elvis' live concerts were mono recordings.
The only ones I know of, aside from the shows that were released by RCA (ie. Aloha, MSG, the various Vegas shows from 1969, 70 and 72, Memphis and EIC)
were the spring tour '77 bits and pieces and the April 1972 EOT shows.
That's it.
I believe Ernst himself has verified this.

Can someone confirm this?

Wed May 21, 2003 10:11 pm

Anyone???

mono/stereo soundboards

Thu May 22, 2003 12:05 am

Here are some thoughts:

When they speak of "soundboards" it usually means the reel to reel or cassette tapes made from the mixing console at the show. RCA had nothing to do with these recordings, they were recorded by Elvis' crew so there could be a record of the show for contractual purposes, for reference if something odd happened at a show, so potential future musicians could learn the set, and as a last resort to capture something worth releasing later. These shouldn't be confused with the professionally recorded multitrack recordings for such albums and movies as In Person, On Stage, That's The Way It Is, On Tour, MSG, Aloha, Graceland, Elvis In Concert and the February '72 Vegas material scattered all over various releases. These multi tracks were specifically recorded by RCA and several movie companies with quality equipment deliberately for subsequent mixing and release.

The soundboards were mostly mono recordings. There are a very few that are true twin track recordings, but these seem to have everything in one channel except maybe a piano or guitar in the other channel, perhaps they were made so that someone could pick up these parts easier if they were joining the band. I haven't noticed any soundboards that have a real stereo mix, but I don't have all of them that are available so I don't know.

The Spring '77 material falls kind of in the middle, they are 4-track soundboard recordings made by Felton Jarvis, so they can generate nice stereo mixes that still have some of the characteristics of soundboards. I think these sound great on the FTD release.

Does this help any?

Greg