Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Talking version of "What Now My Love"...True???

Tue May 20, 2003 7:58 pm

I thought I read somewhere that Elvis did a talking version of "What Now My Love" during a Vegas engagement in 1976. Is that true? Anyone have any idea of the actual date and any other details on the performance...what he was wearing...is there a recording...any other oddities or items of interest from the show? Thanks!!!

Tue May 20, 2003 8:09 pm

Eagle

The spoken version of 'What Now My Love' can be found on the import CD Love Letters From Nevada - a very decent sounding audience recording from December 4, 1976, 9 P.M. dinner show in Las Vegas.

This is a show where he also introduces Engelbert Humperdinck, Roy Orbinson, Vernon and Lisa during the introductions - and if I'm not mistaken also sings a one liner from the Big O's 'It's Over' - a different song to the one Elvis was known to perform as many will know.

This would be in my personal top 10 of audience recordings - possibly even my top 5 - great show !!

Tue May 20, 2003 8:18 pm

Hi Clint!

I don't know if you've heard the recording but I was wondering... Is this show better than the closing show from that final Vegas stint?

Tue May 20, 2003 8:18 pm

Thanks, Clint! Great info....was that the only time he performed the song that way? It had been awhile since he last sang it...if I'm not mistaken?

Tue May 20, 2003 8:22 pm

The 'talking version' of What Now My Love belongs to some of my favourite arrangements yet to be released officially. This was performed several times by Elvis between 1973 and 1976.

You might want to check the following link:

http://www.(deleted - see guidelines #9)/website/Rare_ ... ec4-76.mp3

Tue May 20, 2003 8:45 pm

EagleUSA wrote:Thanks, Clint! Great info....was that the only time he performed the song that way? It had been awhile since he last sang it...if I'm not mistaken?

I have a copy of the bootleg album "The Monolgue L.P.". Elvis did a spoken version. I believe that it was from a '73 Vegas show.

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue May 20, 2003 8:49 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Hi Clint!

I don't know if you've heard the recording but I was wondering... Is this show better than the closing show from that final Vegas stint?

Hi

The show you refer to was released on the import Black Diamond - I do have this one but this is one of a bunch of discs I haven't actually played yet.

Comparisons asside - the spoken version of What Now My Love and hearing Elvis do a brief snippet of the Roy orbison classic It's Over together with the decent sound quality was what made this a favourite with me ........ of course Black Diamond has it's own rarity in 'Such A night' - though he would also perform this in Atlanta at the close of the year.

Incidentally - I also rate the disc Run On (also from Vegas Dec 76) as being a pretty good show too - most would agree the short December tour of 1976 was a great one - I also kinda like what I've heard of the Vegas season that same month.

There is also 8mm footage available of Vegas Dec 76 - which shows Elvis in pretty good form - though for exact dates of footage etc I'd have to look it up.

Eagle

I may be wrong but ...... What Now My Love was performed for the last time live on the 4th Dec 1976 - and that was after not performing it since 1973 live - although I stand to be corrected on this if I'm mistaken.

I do believe there is at least one spoken version from 1973 too but the title of the CD it's on escapes me at the moment.

Tue May 20, 2003 9:00 pm

Haven't heard the Elvis talking version of 'What Now My Love'.

The source for this is a Charles Boyer album which Elvis owned on which there were 'talking versions' of a number of songs.

I think this is where Elvis got 'Softly, As I Leave You' as well.

Colin B

Wed May 21, 2003 3:31 am

Incidentally - I also rate the disc Run On (also from Vegas Dec 76) as being a pretty good show too.

I couldn't disagree more -- it's a tragic performance.

Here's the FECC review:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/run_on.html

Wed May 21, 2003 4:54 am

2 more 'spoken' versions can be found during his closing Vegas 23rd Feb 73' show and also his closing Summer 73 tour show in Atlanta on July 3rd.
BOTH are excellent versions!

Wed May 21, 2003 5:05 am

Maybe another future release on FTD. :D

8)

Fri May 23, 2003 10:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Incidentally - I also rate the disc Run On (also from Vegas Dec 76) as being a pretty good show too.

I couldn't disagree more -- it's a tragic performance.
Here's the FECC review:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/run_on.html

Doc, should you have said "Here is the review on the FECC site". I see that the review states "Reviewed by Johnny Savage, USA", not "Reviewed by FECC". Is Johnny considered a part of FECC or a guest reviewer?

Fri May 23, 2003 1:11 pm

ClintReno wrote:There is also 8mm footage available of Vegas Dec 76 - which shows Elvis in pretty good form - though for exact dates of footage etc I'd have to look it up.

Yeah, it's from December 4th. I don't agree that this Vegas Season was a good one. Most of the performances were horrible. If you don't have the tapes (I have CD's from every show of that season), than you can also read it in the book "The Concert Years".

Elvis was very ill and down during that season. Of course there were some highlights... When you see these 8mm recordings, it seems less worse than when you here the show on CD. Elvis looks more vivid...

Anyhow, the spoken "What Now My Love" is great, the whole show is also one of the best of that Vegas season...

Fri May 23, 2003 5:56 pm

I too have every show from this engagement. To me, this engagement is very representative of the variable quality of Elvis' concerts during the last 14 months of his concert career: a handful of great shows (relative to 76-77) mostly at the beginning of the stand, a lot of mediocre shows (albeit with some good/great individual moments), and, sadly, a few downright poor shows! The worst is a show (I don't recall the date) where Elvis comes out, sings a mere 8 songs, intros the band, sings 3 or 4 more, then splits!!! (he may have had Kathy & Sherrill do their solo thing, I can't recall). When I first heard this fiasco of a show, I thought to myself that if I had made a special trip to Vegas just to see Elvis for the first time, and was only able to catch this one sorrya$$ show, I'd would have been royally pissed! However, he did start off this engagement very strong with a great opening show, and several other rather good shows (again, relatively speaking) through the weekend.
As for the talking What now My Love, it is interesting as a rarity, but he does drop a verse.

Fri May 23, 2003 9:29 pm

ClintReno wrote:Incidentally - I also rate the disc Run On (also from Vegas Dec 76) as being a pretty good show too - most would agree the short December tour of 1976 was a great one - I also kinda like what I've heard of the Vegas season that same month.

There is also 8mm footage available of Vegas Dec 76 - which shows Elvis in pretty good form - though for exact dates of footage etc I'd have to look it up.

Reading follow up replies on this thread prompted me to dig out 'Run On' once again for a quick skip through. Perhaps 'pretty good show' wasn't a good phrase to use. My initial reaction first time I played this disc a while back was that I would play it again ..... this may have been due more to individual interesting moments in the show than the show as a whole.

I also suggest that the recording used is one of a very weak and shallow sound quality (which may also be running a tad too slow) and this in turn does Elvis no favours whatsoever - possibly making his vocal sound weaker than it actually was.

As far as soundboard recordings go - the sound quality of this one is pretty poor.

Also, upon re-evaluating the amount of decent quality audience recordings available, 'Love Letters From Nevada' would be in maybe my top 20 audience recordings - but there are certainly better ones that would go in my top 5.

Sun May 25, 2003 9:00 am

I've done digging of my own.I do have the complete concert,with the talking version of What Now My Love. The date is Feb.23,1973 C.S..I have it in good sound,but not the best if you would like a copy,let me know.Email address is:-wilddragon89@hotmail.com

TigerMan