Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis` Publishing

Tue May 20, 2003 1:57 pm

Hi folks.....What i would like know is this, does the Elvis estate still own any of the publishing that Elvis took part of, for the various songs he sung down the years ? Or was the publishing part of the deal that Elvis and Parker made with RCA in the 70`s.

Also, what was the result of the legal action Cilla undertook regarding this RCA deal?

Many thanks.

Tue May 20, 2003 5:37 pm

Hey Errol -
My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I'm pretty sure the '73 deal included the publishing of all pre - 73 recordings. I believe the estate got the publishing back as part of the Col. Parker "buy out" settlement of the lawsuit. Or they may have joint ownership with RCA.

Tue May 20, 2003 6:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Pete, my memory is also fuzzy on this, and i cant find the relevant information in any of my books. I know Cilla had a victory of sorts in the courts, but of what kind, i have completely forgotten. I have a feeling it may be in Goldmans book, but i dont fancy even opening that book.

Tue May 20, 2003 7:03 pm

I have always wondered if this is the reason behind RCA not releasing all the masters remastered...Does it cost too much? I am probably dead wrong, but I always wondered how it went.

Tue May 20, 2003 7:11 pm

genesim wrote:I have always wondered if this is the reason behind RCA not releasing all the masters remastered...Does it cost too much?

What on earth do you mean?

I can't think of one Elvis master that has not been remastered into digital - over and over and over again :o

Tue May 20, 2003 7:22 pm

Actually, I am referring to the 70's box set. As far as I know the 70's was put on disc 1 time with inferior quality.

I did say I wasn't sure, and I was probably wrong.

My only cocern was does it cost more to have the material post 73?

Tue May 20, 2003 7:26 pm

I'll give you one:

"Love Me, Love The Life I Lead"... so far, only on one official CD, I believe..

But that's a 71 recording, not a post 73 recording.

Sources I've talked to indicate that Elvis was excited about the buy-out deal because it'd mean some quick cash, and RCA wasn't doing much yet with Elvis' back catalogue, so it didn't look as good to Elvis as it probably would have if the "Legendary Performer" LPs had been out.

This source could be off, but they were saying pretty strongly that he pushed for it. If true, it sheds a different picture of the situation..

Tue May 20, 2003 7:30 pm

Actually I am glad that RCA does have control, though I don't agree with some of their ways. All in all they have released some good stuff!!

Tue May 20, 2003 11:41 pm

Hi Mike -
Joe Esposito has said/written that it was Elvis who wanted to take the deal, that the Col. was reluctant, not wanting to trade away his future royalties just because Elvis wanted "quick cash." At this point in time I don't really know what to believe, but this version would certainly explain the Col.'s Boxcar enterprises fiasco that occured around this time. That may very well have been set up by the Col. so he could recoup the potential royalty losses brought about by the 73 deal. Crafty (albeit cold) on the Col.'s part. Crappy for his client, but crafty nonetheless.