Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ftd live hits of the 70`s ?

Tue May 20, 2003 3:18 am

bmg has over 200 soundboards lying around decaying and gathering dust.why then ernst/bmg release some of these live rare gems vol.1, 2, 3
possibly 3 boxed set with booklet would do nicely. :lol: 8) :lol: 8)

Tue May 20, 2003 3:24 am

It would be nice to get a collection of the rare live tracks.

:D

Tue May 20, 2003 5:04 am

Now I Would Buy Somthing Like This

His Best Live Songs And Version

instead of A Full Concert. IMO.

Curtis Simpkins

Tue May 20, 2003 6:18 am

As would I. I have said this very thing before. Now I know some people think if it's not a complete soundboard, then it's not worth anything, but think about all the great songs which exist on subpar shows--Danny Boy from Tucson '76 for example. If they have other things like that but don't want to release another below average or just so-so show, then those gems should see the light of day on a release like this. Also, great songs from incomplete soundboards could help make a great CD. Are we just weird or would others buy a CD like this from FTD as well?

Tue May 20, 2003 1:12 pm

I certainly would. I think it would be a fine idea. Songs like Return to sender, Moody Blue, Where no one stands alone, Bringin it Back, Wooden Heart...which we now have on soundboard could be collected on a FTD release, augmented by other rare songs Elvis did in concert recorded on soundboard tape.

It would also mean another blow to the bootleg industry since people won't be going for that certain import anymore because of that one particular song, because then many of the goodies -rare tracks- will be collected on one FTD disc.

Tue May 20, 2003 5:53 pm

I think it's a great idea! Let's face it, do we really need more complete shows from 1976 & 77? If it's not an above-standard show then my answer would be no. After all how many versions of C.C. Rider; I Got A Woman/Amen; Love Me; ect. does one need? But a compilation of highlights makes perfect sense. On the other hand, Ernst has stated that the goal is to try to release at least 1 soundboard from every Vegas and Tahoe engagement, and every tour that is available. So a complilation cd of rare songs could cut into potential sales of these soundboards since the rare songs are usually the main selling point.

Tue May 20, 2003 6:50 pm

I think a compilation would be nice as well. Seems there are problems with FTD soundboards anyway. I would rathere have them remastering studio material.

Tue May 20, 2003 7:06 pm

Sometimes I wonder at you guys!

If Ernst dare put out a FTD CD with , say, two songs from this concert, one from another, four from another - then the outcry on this board from the very members agitating for such a thing would be gigantic!

I can see it now - "ernst has only released 3 songs from the january 1 1976 Mexico SOUNDBOARD - what's wrong with RCA - sack Ernst" "we want it all" :D

As Kylan would say - geesh :roll:

Tue May 20, 2003 7:26 pm

I am not complaining about anything that has been released, selection wise. I am complaining about quality like crackles and pops and all that jazz. I am only going by what people have said on this board. Seems like there was a lot to be said about the pittsburgh 76 and editing. THough, without having the master, I am doing this gently.

That said, the way RCA is handling his catalog is rediculous. Man I hate those compilations. They are bastardizing his catalog(though not as bad as some like Bing). There is no reason not to have Elvis Is Back not in print, along with many others!!

Tue May 20, 2003 7:45 pm

KiwiAlan,

I'm the opinion to release everything and I dont like when they release one song from here and one from there, it breaks the feeling of a concert. By the way Elvis didnt perform in Mexico !!! Geez ! Elvis was performing in Pontiac, MI during Jan 1, 1976 :wink:

Tue May 20, 2003 8:48 pm

I thought they did a decent enough job with the "Spring Tours '77" release.

Tom (from Ohio)

Wed May 21, 2003 4:37 am

I agree with genesim that Elvis "new" BMG catalogue leaves a lot to be desired. This has been discussed extensively before on this board. A classic album (and one of his very very best) like "Elvis is Back" should be constantly in print, and should be presented to the general public the same way as "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, "Exile on Main Street" by The Rolling Stones, "Dark Side of the Moon" By Pink Floyd, "Abbey Road" by The Beatles or "Electric Ladyland" by Jimi Hendrix.

Elvis 30 nr. 1 hits is the kinda album that confirms what average buyers already know and have heard by Elvis, while "Elvis is Back" is an album (like "From Elvis in Memphis) that can convert anyone including the most cynical critic and turn them into a life-long fan. I've seen it happen before! :D

Thu May 22, 2003 3:34 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that just such a compilation has already been released. It was The Live Greatest Hits and was released in early 2001, I believe. In addition there is the 1999 World Tour album, which is in effect a live greatest hits as it uses previously released recordings. So why do we need another?

Now if you want a live CD of rare recordings, that's a different matter, in which case calling it The Live Greatest Hits would be a misnomer. It would have to be Elvis Hits/Songs Performed Live On A Rare Occasion And Possibly Recorded If You're Lucky.

BMG

Thu May 22, 2003 5:58 am

BMG has already started this! There are eight cds released so far.

ELV1S - THE LIVE OUTTAKES (Vol. 1 -?)

These have the "gold 1" Elv1s logo.

And feature different songs from different shows/dates.

Check the barcode #'s in the BMG catalog:

Vol. 8 I know for a fact is..... 78636-77412

This one features a song from the 1976 Champaign, Illinois sounboard which RCA has in their archive.