Elvis in Sioux Falls - June 22, 1977 - New Photo's?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Elvis in Sioux Falls - June 22, 1977 - New Photo's?

Post by Johnny2523 »

Thanks to the For Elvis Music Fans only page, there was a link to some new photo's (atleast to me) from Elvis performance in Sioux Falls on June 22, 1977, i thought you all might like this to.
ELVIS PRESLEY: 40 YEARS LATER! – Where did the time go? It seemed like only yesterday when it was June 22, 1977 and I was fighting my way to the front of the stage to try and get one of the silk scarves Elvis was throwing out to the Sioux Falls, South Dakota crowd. The King of Rock and Roll made his way along the front of the stage, negotiating his way along the sea of blue-haired ladies reaching out for a sweaty scarf. But he paused for a second when he spotted a pimply-faced 16 year old kid with an afro reaching for a scarf. He paused for a brief second, looked at me with a puzzled look, and continued throwing out scarves to the blue-haired ladies; completely passing me by! That was my favorite memory from seeing him in concert a two short months before his death. Today marked 40 years since his passing and I remember it like it was yesterday. I was busy puttering around our house at 1516 S. 6th Street in Aberdeen, South Dakota, and my distant cousin Mark Langston called around 3 in the afternoon to give me the horrible news; Elvis had died. I turned on the TV and saw Geraldo Rivera live from Memphis interviewing the mourners who were holding vigil at Graceland. This meant that the Elvis act my pals and I were working on for next year’s high school talent show in February would have to be scrapped. Or would it? (We later decided to upgrade it from a mere Elvis parody to a serious tribute) This also meant that I would scrap the normal rock music on my radio show that night in favor of dedicating the evening’s programming completely to Elvis and his music. I sped down to the station, pulled some news stories off the wire, and composed an evening-long tribute to Elvis. I already knew his story and already had a hefty collection of Elvis records, so my show that night scooped the other radio station in town by almost a full 24 hours! This also meant that I would be among a small percentage of the population who got to see him in concert during his final months of life. I had begged my mom (a life-long Elvis fan) to go to the concert with me. I was working at the local radio station full-time and had lots of spendable cash, but only being 16 I wasn’t comfortable yet with driving the 200 miles to Sioux Falls where Elvis would be performing. My proposition to her was if she would make the drive, I would pay for the tickets and motel room as an early birthday gift. But she said (and I’ll never EVER let her live this down), “Naw, I’ll see him next year.” She’s regretted those words ever since, sadly. Undeterred, I bought the tickets anyway and my pal Greg Cutler and I took the Greyhound the 200 mile distance to Sioux Falls. The bus depot in Sioux Falls is right by the downtown Holiday Inn; at the time the nicest hotel in Sioux Falls. Which meant that it was where Elvis was staying. We walked across the street and met one of his bandmembers, saw his Aztec sundial jumpsuit hanging on a rack in the lobby unattended (back in those days nobody even DREAMED of stealing it! But nowadays…) and rode in the elevator with Ed Parker, one of Elvis’ bodyguards. Ironically enough, I’m sure I must’ve seen Elvis’ road manager Joe Esposito in his red Elvis in Concert jacket on stage ushering Elvis to the exit. Little did I know then that I would someday own that very jacket, which is even SIGNED by Joe on the inside! It’s funny how life works. While Greg and I hung out in the lobby we spotted the clothes rack once again, but this time the freshly laundered jumpsuit was missing. On the bottom of the rack lay a crumpled wad of dry-cleaner’s plastic; obviously it had just been taken off the jumpsuit and discarded there. I grabbed it as a souvenir, figuring it was going to be tossed in the trash anyway. I kept it for years, though I no longer have it. I remember it specifically because it was two pieces of plastic Scotch taped together, because the cleaner didn’t have plastic long enough to cover the entire jumpsuit. It’s funny how you remember those little things. I still have the souvenirs I got from the concert, and the poster I bought there (as wrinkled and folded as it is) is framed on my wall above my Elvis robot and the framed concert ticket from that amazing day. As Elvis would sing, “Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.” I’ve always let that day be a lesson to me; don’t be deterred because there are always alternatives. When I got up at 11 I checked e-mails, walked Roxy, got cleaned up and drove over in the Mustang to West Hollywood to have lunch with a few old friends; Wes and Tom from the Vox agency. I used to be with them about 15 years ago before I moved over to my current agency. They were Adam West’s agents up until passing, so we had a lot of fun telling Adam stories and catching up. When lunch was finished I drove over to Regenix for a follow-up appointment and to get some more supplies. During the drive home I phone my folks and talked with them. It was fun re-living the stories about our activities on “The Day That Elvis Died.” Whenever I remind my mom about her fateful decision not to see Elvis in concert when she had the chance, she plugs her ears and says, “LA LA LA LA LA LA.” Funny. I got home and put on some comfy clothes and did some work around the house. I fed the pets and then napped for a bit on the couch. When I got up later I did a ton of auditions, fed the pets again and took Roxy on our late night stroll through the neighborhood. It was a gorgeous night, and a perfect night to enjoy a cigar during our walk. I came back inside and made a Tombstone pizza and watched another “Barnaby Jones” episode. At the top of every episode the narrator mentions the names of the Special Guest Stars who will appear in the episode. It’s assumed that these actors were popular during the day and worthy of note. However, once I got into the episode, two of the actors NOT mentioned “pre-show” would become two of the biggest stars of all; WAY bigger than anyone who was mentioned in the opening! Ray Wise played a talent agent injured in a freak accident at a theater, and Jonathan Frakes played a young stage actor who gets murdered in a swimming pool. I love seeing actors in these old shows before they became famous.
Elvis had the entire floor of the Holiday Inn, and the curtains were drawn in every single room!

The jumpsuit waiting to be delivered to Elvis’ room!

Source:
http://www.wallyontheweb.com/wallysweek/august-14-august-20/

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Delboy
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Elvis in Sioux Falls - June 22, 1977 - New Photo's?

Post by Delboy »

Great post! Thanks. Though it looks like our hero is playing in a pub. :(

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

Thank you for sharing Johnny, these look new to me to, I will be honest Elvis does look alot more acceptable here than he did in summer 1976 (interms of weight)(obviously I know that he wasn't in the greatest shape here and earlier years he looked better). Anyways, I hope SA find the Sioux Falls show and OS of the tour, it would make a nice release if they were paired up.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Johnny2523 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 am wrote:Thanks to the For Elvis Music Fans only page, there was a link to some new photo's (atleast to me) from Elvis performance in Sioux Falls on June 22, 1977, i thought you all might like this to.
Wednesday the 16th – ELVIS PRESLEY: 40 YEARS LATER! – Where did the time go? It seemed like only yesterday when it was June 22, 1977 and I was fighting my way to the front of the stage to try and get one of the silk scarves Elvis was throwing out to the Sioux Falls, South Dakota crowd. The King of Rock and Roll made his way along the front of the stage, negotiating his way along the sea of blue-haired ladies reaching out for a sweaty scarf. But he paused for a second when he spotted a pimply-faced 16 year old kid with an afro reaching for a scarf. He paused for a brief second, looked at me with a puzzled look, and continued throwing out scarves to the blue-haired ladies; completely passing me by! That was my favorite memory from seeing him in concert a two short months before his death. Today marked 40 years since his passing and I remember it like it was yesterday. I was busy puttering around our house at 1516 S. 6th Street in Aberdeen, South Dakota, and my distant cousin Mark Langston called around 3 in the afternoon to give me the horrible news; Elvis had died. I turned on the TV and saw Geraldo Rivera live from Memphis interviewing the mourners who were holding vigil at Graceland. This meant that the Elvis act my pals and I were working on for next year’s high school talent show in February would have to be scrapped. Or would it? (We later decided to upgrade it from a mere Elvis parody to a serious tribute) This also meant that I would scrap the normal rock music on my radio show that night in favor of dedicating the evening’s programming completely to Elvis and his music. I sped down to the station, pulled some news stories off the wire, and composed an evening-long tribute to Elvis. I already knew his story and already had a hefty collection of Elvis records, so my show that night scooped the other radio station in town by almost a full 24 hours! This also meant that I would be among a small percentage of the population who got to see him in concert during his final months of life. I had begged my mom (a life-long Elvis fan) to go to the concert with me. I was working at the local radio station full-time and had lots of spendable cash, but only being 16 I wasn’t comfortable yet with driving the 200 miles to Sioux Falls where Elvis would be performing. My proposition to her was if she would make the drive, I would pay for the tickets and motel room as an early birthday gift. But she said (and I’ll never EVER let her live this down), “Naw, I’ll see him next year.” She’s regretted those words ever since, sadly. Undeterred, I bought the tickets anyway and my pal Greg Cutler and I took the Greyhound the 200 mile distance to Sioux Falls. The bus depot in Sioux Falls is right by the downtown Holiday Inn; at the time the nicest hotel in Sioux Falls. Which meant that it was where Elvis was staying. We walked across the street and met one of his bandmembers, saw his Aztec sundial jumpsuit hanging on a rack in the lobby unattended (back in those days nobody even DREAMED of stealing it! But nowadays…) and rode in the elevator with Ed Parker, one of Elvis’ bodyguards. Ironically enough, I’m sure I must’ve seen Elvis’ road manager Joe Esposito in his red Elvis in Concert jacket on stage ushering Elvis to the exit. Little did I know then that I would someday own that very jacket, which is even SIGNED by Joe on the inside! It’s funny how life works. While Greg and I hung out in the lobby we spotted the clothes rack once again, but this time the freshly laundered jumpsuit was missing. On the bottom of the rack lay a crumpled wad of dry-cleaner’s plastic; obviously it had just been taken off the jumpsuit and discarded there. I grabbed it as a souvenir, figuring it was going to be tossed in the trash anyway. I kept it for years, though I no longer have it. I remember it specifically because it was two pieces of plastic Scotch taped together, because the cleaner didn’t have plastic long enough to cover the entire jumpsuit. It’s funny how you remember those little things. I still have the souvenirs I got from the concert, and the poster I bought there (as wrinkled and folded as it is) is framed on my wall above my Elvis robot and the framed concert ticket from that amazing day. As Elvis would sing, “Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.” I’ve always let that day be a lesson to me; don’t be deterred because there are always alternatives. When I got up at 11 I checked e-mails, walked Roxy, got cleaned up and drove over in the Mustang to West Hollywood to have lunch with a few old friends; Wes and Tom from the Vox agency. I used to be with them about 15 years ago before I moved over to my current agency. They were Adam West’s agents up until passing, so we had a lot of fun telling Adam stories and catching up. When lunch was finished I drove over to Regenix for a follow-up appointment and to get some more supplies. During the drive home I phone my folks and talked with them. It was fun re-living the stories about our activities on “The Day That Elvis Died.” Whenever I remind my mom about her fateful decision not to see Elvis in concert when she had the chance, she plugs her ears and says, “LA LA LA LA LA LA.” Funny. I got home and put on some comfy clothes and did some work around the house. I fed the pets and then napped for a bit on the couch. When I got up later I did a ton of auditions, fed the pets again and took Roxy on our late night stroll through the neighborhood. It was a gorgeous night, and a perfect night to enjoy a cigar during our walk. I came back inside and made a Tombstone pizza and watched another “Barnaby Jones” episode. At the top of every episode the narrator mentions the names of the Special Guest Stars who will appear in the episode. It’s assumed that these actors were popular during the day and worthy of note. However, once I got into the episode, two of the actors NOT mentioned “pre-show” would become two of the biggest stars of all; WAY bigger than anyone who was mentioned in the opening! Ray Wise played a talent agent injured in a freak accident at a theater, and Jonathan Frakes played a young stage actor who gets murdered in a swimming pool. I love seeing actors in these old shows before they became famous.

[snip]

PIX FROM THE WEEK

Here are some photos right out of my personal photo album of the day I saw Elvis in concert! Enjoy!

ww_20170814_01.jpg
Elvis had the entire floor of the Holiday Inn, and the curtains were drawn in every single room!
ww_20170814_02.jpg
The jumpsuit waiting to be delivered to Elvis’ room!
ww_20170814_03.jpg
ww_20170814_04.jpg
ww_20170814_05.jpg
ww_20170814_06.jpg
ww_20170814_07.jpg
ww_20170814_08.jpg
ww_20170814_09.jpg
Does anybody know the name of this Elvis musician?

Source:
http://www.wallyontheweb.com/wallysweek/august-14-august-20/

These are new to my eyes, thanks for the share.

The guy in the tour jacket isn't one of the TCB Band. He must be part of the Concerts West crew, but who? Anyone know?

There's no known audio for the June 1977 Sioux Fall gig, let alone the one from the previous October, but at least now there are a bounty of photos! And don't forget that this Holiday Inn is the one where CBS-TV's Annett Wolf filmed and spoke with Vernon for the TV special.

This might be the best and worst photo, all at once:

770622_Sioux Falls.JPG

In eight weeks he would be gone forever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

The guy in the EIC jacket has been identified as one of the horn players.
More here: https://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/03/prweb352983.htm

Looking at the pictures it's clear Elvis started to look better during the mid or end of each tour.

drjohncarpenter

Robert on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:16 pm wrote:The guy in the EIC jacket has been identified as one of the horn players.

Looking at the pictures it's clear Elvis started to look better during the mid or end of each tour.

It appears Wally ran into lead trumpet player Walt Johnson in the lobby of the Holiday Inn 41 years ago. Johnson still has the jacket!

Walt Johnson at the Sioux Falls Holiday Inn - Wednesday, June 22, 1977

GaryGrantandWaltJohnson.jpg
Elvis Trumpet Players Gary Grant (L) and Walt Johnson (R).
Walt Johnson was Elvis Presley's Lead Trumpet Player in the 1970's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

What a find Johnny! Nice quality photos from that June 22 show. Thanks for posting. Would be interesting is an audio tape would surface from the show.
On a different note, I find it so interesting that with all of the information available today that there are many of Elvis' shows which still remain a mystery.

rlj

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

Thank you for the pics and post. Holiday Inn? And Lord, look at that stage and arena. 7500 people Backbreaking work to pay bills. Little wonder by this point he hated his life. Frankly, the miracle was that he even bothered to get out of bed at all. He does look better than in the EIC video. Perhaps the photos are more flattering or did he change that much day to day?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

So, is it safe to conclude Walt Johnson is the man who lays down the trumpet work in Elvis' 1976/1977-era arrangement O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never? Those versions contain the trifecta of Elvis, Sherrill Nielsen and Walt Johnson.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Robert on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:16 pm wrote:The guy in the EIC jacket has been identified as one of the horn players.

It must have been a huge relief to the have the CBS taping behind him. As such, it would not be surprising if Sioux Falls was a strong show for the period.

MartyMcFly
Registered for: 15 years

Post by MartyMcFly »

It's great to finally get to see some pictures from Sioux Falls. Thank you Johnny for sharing them here.
If I remember the news reports covering this show correctly, this show wasn't a sellout, unlike the October one.

drjohncarpenter

midnightx on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 pm wrote:So, is it safe to conclude Walt Johnson is the man who lays down the trumpet work in Elvis' 1976/1977-era arrangement O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never? Those versions contain the trifecta of Elvis, Sherrill Nielsen and Walt Johnson.
And we are now lucky enough to have 7 different, officially-issued versions to enjoy.

"O Sole Mio" (Sherrill Nielsen) / "It's Now Or Never"

Showtime! Birmingham/Dallas
12-28-1976 (Dallas)

Showtime! Birmingham/Dallas
12-29-1976 (Birmingham)

New Year's Eve
12-31-1976 (Pittsburgh)

Unchained Melody
2-20-1977 (Charlotte)

Amarillo '77
3-24-1977 (Amarillo)

Spring Tours '77
4-26-1977 (Kalamazoo)

Elvis In Concert
6-21-1977 (Rapid City)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

Great post! Thanks. Though it looks like our hero is playing in a pub

It's a shame he should not of been playing these yuk venues I have seen some photos of arenas and you can see the basketball ring still up ??

didn't even bother to cover it up mmm

Sugarfoot
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sugarfoot »

Nice of Mr. Wingert bring these out. In 2011, he already published some of them but not this many. :) Very good shots taken by a 16 year old.

It seems he may have cropped them for public consumption. We now have a plethora of photos and other info from this date, somebody bring out a recording. ;) The fact that it's not Elvis' finest hour notwithstanding.
sioux.JPG
Sieppaa.JPG

ed40
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by ed40 »

Great topic !!! Thanks for sharing ....

Ed

::rocks

medleyofcostumes
Registered for: 14 years

Post by medleyofcostumes »

Great post and photos. Don't know if my immagination is playing tricks on me, but is that a blue jumpsuit behind the Sundial Suit?

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

medleyofcostumes on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm wrote:Great post and photos. Don't know if my immagination is playing tricks on me, but is that a blue jumpsuit behind the Sundial Suit?
It sure looks like it.. Would it be unthinkable that the "unfinished" suit actually WAS finished, and available for use, in June 1977,but EP just chose not to wear it?? Interesting...

drjohncarpenter

MartyMcFly on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:19 pm wrote:It's great to finally get to see some pictures from Sioux Falls. Thank you Johnny for sharing them here.
If I remember the news reports covering this show correctly, this show wasn't a sellout, unlike the October one.
A very generous local concert review by Sioux Falls Argus-Leader entertainment editor Hugh O'Gara not only indicated a sell-out show in 1977, but also that the crowd this time was younger.

770623_Sioux Falls Argus-Leader_p1B.JPG
Sioux Falls Argus-Leader - Thursday, June 23, 1977
"A new generation flocks to see Presley."

770623_Sioux Falls Argus-Leader_DETAIL.JPG
Detail of photo by Frank Klock.

Twenty-seven year-old photographer Frank Klock went on to become a professor of photojournalism at South Dakota State University:

https://travissterzinger.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/interview-of-frank-klock/

Interesting to read some bonehead hit Elvis in the collarbone with a Frisbee, and the ironic remark made by someone leaving the concert, "Now, at least he got to see Elvis." There were only four shows left.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Doc, that is a great catch. At times it looks like a blue outfit, other times to me almost like a paisley shirt sleeve. Could it have been one of his track suits, perhaps?

Nice photos and a great story...thanks to the OP.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

drjohncarpenter

FrankieRider2 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:13 pm wrote:Doc, that is a great catch. At times it looks like a blue outfit, other times to me almost like a paisley shirt sleeve. Could it have been one of his track suits, perhaps?

What did I catch?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

drjohncarpenter on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 pm wrote:
FrankieRider2 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:13 pm wrote:Doc, that is a great catch. At times it looks like a blue outfit, other times to me almost like a paisley shirt sleeve. Could it have been one of his track suits, perhaps?

What did I catch?
The frisbee?

Nice post Johnny2523

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

The frisbee was thrown by Peruvian drug lords sent by Mike Stone.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

kerrinw
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by kerrinw »

medleyofcostumes on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 am wrote:Great post and photos. Don't know if my immagination is playing tricks on me, but is that a blue jumpsuit behind the Sundial Suit?
That's good spotting, medley. I can see the blue sleeve and shoulders but nothing where there should be pants, and the blue sleeve is either much shorter than the jumpsuit sleeve (to my eye). So it's probably not a jumpsuit, could be the blue tracksuit (pants would be on the hanger), but could also be a totally unrelated item belonging to another guest.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Sorry Doc...mistook medey's post for yours. Sorry all around.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

Could it be the shirt EP is wearing here that's hanging beside the Sundial Suit?