Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How Many of you like the song Memories

Sun May 18, 2003 1:51 am

How Many of you like the song Memories
This was a good song by elvis in 1968

and i even like it in has live version from 1969
in las vegas.

did elvis ever did anymore of this song in the 70s.
do you think he should count, doinging this song live

curtis simpkins

Sun May 18, 2003 1:57 am

Are we going to track all 800 odd songs? :D

If so - who likes the song "Husky Dusky Day" :!:

But as you asked "Memories" is one of my all time favorite ballads. (The Elvis one, of course)

Sun May 18, 2003 1:59 am

That's funny.... i just listen to Memories today and thought "man, this song is really under-appreciated". It's a fantastic songs.... same goes for Elvis' version of Words.... It's a really good version, but never really mentioned much...

Re: How Many of you like the song Memories

Sun May 18, 2003 2:27 am

Curtis Simpkins wrote:did elvis ever did anymore of this song in the 70s.
do you think he should count, doinging this song live

curtis simpkins

Curtis - as far as 1970 goes there is a great fun rehearsal version to be found on one of the volumes of the import discs Brightest Star On Sunset Boulevard. No in concert recording has surfaced post 1969 though.

Sun May 18, 2003 2:47 am

Thanks Clint
For That Info I Have Heard The Brightest Star On Sunset cd

So Far No Live Version That's A Shame.

Curtis Simpkins

Sun May 18, 2003 12:30 pm

A live version of memories is standing on the box set Collectors Gold. It's from 69 and Elvis saying " a song from my resent TV show, It's prity bad, but you can't write them all"
I don't know what he meens by that, but maby Elvis didn't like the song so much.

I just love the song.... :lol:

greatings,
Erik van den Berg

Sun May 18, 2003 12:59 pm

Memories is one of Elvis' best songs. Not only the words, the interpratation, the arrangement and the sound quality are amazing but it sounds also conteporary. The melody and the chords are really out of their times.

I remember reading somewhere tht Elvis loved the song but as it happens some tunes don't work out easely live for the technical limitations of those days.

Sun May 18, 2003 1:12 pm

Actually, I think he says "This's a song I just did on my recent T.V. show... which was pretty bad, but.. y'know(said very quickly and 'to the side'), can't win 'em all."

He's talking about how bad his "recent TV show" was... pretty interesting, or he's possibly just being modest about it..

Something like that.

Great version, I agree.

Sun May 18, 2003 2:53 pm

that's a other way to look at it.... Maby you are right, because memories is just a great song.

greatings,
Erik van den Berg

Sun May 18, 2003 6:23 pm

Hate to be a fly in the soup, but I wouldnt say "Memories" is a "great" song. It's pretty basic lyric-wise and the sentiment is pretty mawkish whether it's Elvis or Barbera Streisand doing her like-wise titled tune. It's borderline manipulative to write a song so basic. How can you not say, "yeah, those were so memories"? So it's probably my least favorite number of the "Elvis" TV Special.

When does it in the show, he pulls it off, but am I sorry he dropped it not long after? No.

I was taken aback when I heard Elvis' comment in "Collector's Gold" (I took it to be about the song, not the TV Special) but felt relieved, too, because this is a tune I often have to skip just to "give it a rest."

To each his own, I guess.

Sun May 18, 2003 7:44 pm

Was Elvis feeling bad about his comeback special.... ???

Erik van den Berg.

Sun May 18, 2003 8:44 pm

MikeMcCoy wrote:Actually, I think he says "This's a song I just did on my recent T.V. show... which was pretty bad, but.. y'know(said very quickly and 'to the side'), can't win 'em all."

He's talking about how bad his "recent TV show" was... pretty interesting, or he's possibly just being modest about it..

Something like that.

Great version, I agree.

I like the song.

As for Elvis' comments about the '68 special, he obviously knew that the '68 special did a lot of good for him and his career.

I always thought that he was making a joke about the success of the special.

To (from Ohio)

Mon May 19, 2003 5:57 am

Memories is an OK song....but it's not a suspicious minds. :wink:

:twisted:

Mon May 19, 2003 6:10 pm

Actually the part that get to me is when he is singing it to the girl and then trying to keep not stare(feeling a little nervous I bet, or awkward). The chick looks really taken(though I know it is staged), still she looks very hot in my opinion. Then Elvis stands up and "rises" above them. That is the image I love, and that is why I find the sound exhilerating. Then to see it at the end of a documentart(This Is Elvis?), it is just great.

Is the song itself great..I guess not. Is it perfect for me..hell yeah. It stands for a time in Elvis life where he kicked ass. It is a song that did well(all things considered) and I think that most people are entertained. I especially like the Purple Haze part!

Mon May 19, 2003 6:11 pm

Sam I agree it is no Suspicious Minds..but then again how many of Elvis songs are!!!!

MEMORIES

Mon May 19, 2003 11:02 pm

I'm with you Curtis! I have always liked MEMORIES (The single version, the long version)!
But, I never found the live segment from the TV special or any later live '69 versions better!
But, the song is actually very beautiful and well sung on the single!
I loved to hear it when it appeared on TT&F!

Tue May 20, 2003 12:42 pm

i cant agree the song is weak there are proberbly 50 better elvis ballards
than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!