Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

What about This is Elvis SE?

Post by jurasic1968 »

After this recent documentary I saw, maybe it's time for another one. From This is Elvis (1981) could be cut all the Elvis impersonators and made This is Elvis Second Edition. Just only his music and TV and film clips, no more boring monologues, my take. Music from start to end. From the last TV special Hurt and I Don't Really Want To Know can be selected. From the movies also some good songs can be put in.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: What about This is Elvis SE?

Post by Rob »

I like the idea, but I'm sure it will never happen.

I'm still not getting the FTD.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

I think it would be a good idea.

There is no reason why somewhere down the line this couldn't happen. They did it with 'That's The Way It Is'.

Maybe around 2021 for it's 40th anniversary and Rob can buy the revised soundtrack :shock: :)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I hope, Rob, that with all the impersonators eliminated and new clips added, this documentary can be the best ever about Elvis. This is Elvis had a major flaw, like you sad about Ronnie McDowell, but if this is corrected, why not to hope for a better film? A definitive documentary.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:12 pm wrote:I hope, Rob, that with all the impersonators eliminated and new clips added, this documentary can be the best ever about Elvis. This is Elvis had a major flaw, like you sad about Ronnie McDowell, but if this is corrected, why not to hope for a better film? A definitive documentary.
jurasic, it's Ral Donner who does the voiceover.

Andy

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Oh, I apologize. thanks a lot. But you like my idea? Because I didn't like this documentary recently released. And my wife (just a casual fan) said to me many times during the film: What they are trying to do with Elvis? I don't understand either.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

With some imagination, I would think you could probably mesh parts of This Is Elvis with parts of The Searcher and come up with something pretty special...

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 am wrote:After this recent documentary I saw, maybe it's time for another one. From This is Elvis (1981) could be cut all the Elvis impersonators and made This is Elvis Second Edition. Just only his music and TV and film clips, no more boring monologues, my take. Music from start to end. From the last TV special Hurt and I Don't Really Want To Know can be selected. From the movies also some good songs can be put in.
If you are just compiling a documentary of footage, the "This Is Elvis" content sans the monologues and impersonators would seem fragmented. The footage is often edited and incomplete. It works within the scope of the entire "This Is Elvis" project, but on its own, it would feel very disjointed. And if you are going to make exceptions for the 1977 footage, why not allow other liberties for the 1970, 1972, and 1973 concert footage?

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm wrote:Oh, I apologize. thanks a lot. But you like my idea? Because I didn't like this documentary recently released. And my wife (just a casual fan) said to me many times during the film: What they are trying to do with Elvis? I don't understand either.
It certainly would be better without the voiceover. I'm sure there's enough of Elvis' own voice to do an upgrade justice.
elvis-fan wrote:With some imagination, I would think you could probably mesh parts of This Is Elvis with parts of The Searcher and come up with something pretty special...
I agree.

Andy

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

For me one thing matters: I want to see a documentary on Elvis Presley from start to finish with his songs on TV and movies. This is Elvis was close to that, of course with mistakes. So, a SE could be very useful with cutting the impersonators and releasing more video footage, that's all. And now I realize that The Searcher documentary is not for casual fans or strangers to Elvis' music. And like others said here, Elvis was a singer for huge audiences, not for "intellectuals" (Zimmy is one of them). And he was not a champion for the Civil Right Movement in the 60's. Sorry, but this documentary tries to rewrite history, in my opinion.

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by r&b »

I like the idea. never cared for the film much because of the phony narration, recreations, etc. New narration perhaps like The Searcher did, with just the Elvis bits and with possibly more footage added, would be nice. The film as it stands now is a hard watch for me. I cringe at certain points.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:35 pm wrote:For me one thing matters: I want to see a documentary on Elvis Presley from start to finish with his songs on TV and movies. This is Elvis was close to that, of course with mistakes. So, a SE could be very useful with cutting the impersonators and releasing more video footage, that's all. And now I realize that The Searcher documentary is not for casual fans or strangers to Elvis' music. And like others said here, Elvis was a singer for huge audiences, not for "intellectuals" (Zimmy is one of them). And he was not a champion for the Civil Right Movement in the 60's. Sorry, but this documentary tries to rewrite history, in my opinion.
With the money spent on 'The Searcher' a lot of people (it seems) expected more than what was given.

I've said it before but we have YET to see the ultimate Elvis documentary.

Andy

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

OK, but do you like Elvis sing 30 seconds of Hound Dog in The Searcher? Nothing about The Ed Sullivan Shows? Only If I I can Dream showed completely? Insane.How can this documentary be liked from some people which are not fans of Elvis Presley? Listening to Odetta and other unknown singers today?

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

jetblack on Wed May 09, 2018 11:43 am wrote: I've said it before but we have YET to see the ultimate Elvis documentary.
Andy
We will never see the ultimate Elvis documentary because someone, somewhere will always find fault with it...

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Well, never say never.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:45 pm wrote:OK, but do you like Elvis sing 30 seconds of Hound Dog in The Searcher? Nothing about The Ed Sullivan Shows? Only If I I can Dream showed completely? Insane.How can this documentary be liked from some people which are not fans of Elvis Presley? Listening to Odetta and other unknown singers today?
The omissions of certain career defining songs and footage is certainly head-scratching.

I get what some see in it as it tried to be different but in my opinion it has many flaws too.

Andy

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 am wrote:After this recent documentary I saw, maybe it's time for another one. From This is Elvis (1981) could be cut all the Elvis impersonators and made This is Elvis Second Edition. Just only his music and TV and film clips, no more boring monologues, my take. Music from start to end. From the last TV special Hurt and I Don't Really Want To Know can be selected. From the movies also some good songs can be put in.
This would come off as very unambitious, especially following the HBO film, which took a very different approach to presenting Elvis. Hardcore fans can practically cut something together like this on their laptops. And, most importantly, there is not likely enough data which would enable a third edition of the Warner Bros. project to get the green light.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Doc, sorry, but it's a silly question: Do you really think a non fan (or a casual one) of Elvis can become a really fan of him after seeing this one? I apologize for this.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Definitely. At a dead minimum, it could entice them to buy a CD. The interest could absolutely grow from there.

That's the way it started for me in 1972 with a certain live album.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 am wrote:OK, but do you like Elvis sing 30 seconds of Hound Dog in The Searcher? Nothing about The Ed Sullivan Shows? Only If I I can Dream showed completely? Insane.How can this documentary be liked from some people which are not fans of Elvis Presley? Listening to Odetta and other unknown singers today?
IIRC, you said you have not seen the HBO film. So it's unfair to pass judgement on something you have yet to review.

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 am wrote:Doc, sorry, but it's a silly question: Do you really think a non fan (or a casual one) of Elvis can become a really fan of him after seeing this one? I apologize for this.
Nothing to be sorry about. Over a year and a half ago, Thom Zimny and his team laid out their mission, and they delivered exactly as promised.

The HBO film was explicitly intended to capture Elvis’ musicianship in a new and exciting way. A person who knows nothing about Elvis, save the cliched image of an overweight, jump-suited, mutton-chopped, big-sunglasses-wearing, karate-air-chopping, mumbling fool, but chooses to devote time to watching the documentary, will come away with a completely new impression.

These viewers will discover that Presley was actually a real human being who came from poverty, was musically influenced by everything around him, black and white, had ambition and energy, and a career that blew up almost from the minute his first single hit the streets when he was 19 years old. The man dealt with chaos from that point on, yet still tried to pursue music and meaning in both his personal and professional life.

As we can see, Zimny did not touch all the usual bases that longtime fans seemed to need to watch again and again, but the film was never intended to do that. If Elvis Presley was going to come across to a viewer in the 2018 film it would be on the evident passion and unique, democratic vision he had for music, and how it shaped both him and us in the process.

Again, watch the film, and don't expect the "greatest hits," because they were never promised in the first place.

HBO’S UNTITLED ELVIS PRESLEY PROJECT COMPLETES PRODUCTION THIS MONTH
Emmy® And Grammy Winner Thom Zimny Directs

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 14, 2016 — An untitled HBO Entertainment documentary about the life and music of Elvis Presley from Sony Pictures Television completes production this month and will debut on the network, it was announced today by Kary Antholis, president, HBO Miniseries and CINEMAX Programming. Directed by Emmy® and Grammy winner Thom Zimny (HBO’s “The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town” and “The Ties That Bind”), the three-hour, two-film presentation takes the audience on a comprehensive journey from Elvis’ childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions.

“The producers came to HBO and Sony with the idea for a film drawing upon very rare footage that captures Elvis’ musicianship in a new and exciting way,” said Antholis. “The artistry on display in that footage reminded us of the great work by Jon Landau and Thom Zimny on HBO films documenting the studio artistry of Bruce Springsteen, and we are thrilled to have them at the helm to lend their unique cinematic perspectives to this iconic, complex and singular artist.”

The project focuses on the man and his music, deconstructing why Elvis’s sound and style were so revolutionary, exploring why they made him the world’s most legendary musical icon and revealing the cost of the massive success he achieved.

With the full participation of the Elvis Presley family estate and unprecedented access to Graceland archives facilitated by Authentic Brands Group, the films include stunning atmospherics shot inside Elvis’ iconic home and more than 20 new, primary source interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors and others who knew him. The documentary also features never-before-seen photos and footage from private collections worldwide.

The films are an HBO Documentary Films Presentation in association with Sony Pictures Television. The executive producers are Jon Landau, Glen Zipper, Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling, Andrew Solt, Alan Gasmer and Jamie Salter (chairman and CEO, Authentic Brands Group); directed and produced by Thom Zimny; co-producers, Zach Russo and Ernst Jorgensen; written by Alan Light.

Follow @HBOPR for more news and information.

https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/hbos-untitled-elvis-presley-project-completes-production-this-month-7830b2a9dadd#.6w3j36ti5

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

Rob on Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 pm wrote:I like the idea, but I'm sure it will never happen.

I'm still not getting the FTD.
Whats the reason for not getting the FTD?

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I saw the film, Doc. I understand what you say. But to put it harshly, how many people understand this way?

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by LSP-4445 »

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 pm wrote:After this recent documentary I saw, maybe it's time for another one. From This is Elvis (1981) could be cut all the Elvis impersonators and made This is Elvis Second Edition. Just only his music and TV and film clips, no more boring monologues, my take. Music from start to end. From the last TV special Hurt and I Don't Really Want To Know can be selected. From the movies also some good songs can be put in.
I dont see that happening but I would be happy with a bluray release of TIE EE .
The EE edition that we got on dvd was in horrible quality....vhs quality.
Last edited by LSP-4445 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

jurasic1968 on Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 am wrote:I saw the film, Doc. I understand what you say. But to put it harshly, how many people understand this way?
Well, that was fast, as this was not true just three days ago:

jurasic1968 on Sun May 06, 2018 9:45 pm wrote:I didn't see yet the film ...

So you watched some pirated version on the internet, then? That is far from ideal.

As for your question, I refer once again back to the source. Among other things, HBO is in the business of creating compelling, original and intelligent documentaries. They have been doing so for years, and have won many awards for their work. When Elvis was slated for an HBO documentary I was thrilled because I immediately knew it would be all of those things. When Thom Zimny was announced as director, I was pleased, because he had proven that he understood the music, and the artistic process, his work with Bruce Springsteen was superb.

Heck, no one is even commenting on the beautiful soundtrack music created by Mike McCready. He perfectly captured the emotional feel necessary to carry the story forward. It resonated as I watched the film. We haven't had something like that in any previous Presley documentary.

A so-called casual fan will never be interested in any in-depth film on anyone. Their commitment is not deep enough to care. A greatest hits CD will cover them for life. The "new" people who will watch are those who are interested in American music, history and popular culture. And they will come away with a far greater appreciation for Elvis as an original artist. Arguments that he "stole" black music will be rightly seen as stupid, and wrong. Claims that he was a "country bumpkin" who stumbled through a career, was "lucky," and had a "Svengali" manager, will be wiped away.

We're fortunate to have been given this in 2018. And perhaps it will lead to even better things in the future.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Agree with you. I saw a pirate version from the Internet yesterday. I dont' know if ever in Romania it will be an official version maybe on DVD, but I am not sure.