minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: I'll Never Fall In Love Again Live version 1976

Post by minkahed »

midnightx wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 pm
LesterB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 am wrote:
Rob on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am wrote:
drjohncarpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 am wrote:But how anyone can give kudos to Presley's woeful master of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" is beyond comprehension.
Many men have tried to change me and were unsuccessful and have left the relationship with broken hearts. I have to give credit where credit is due. You've gone the extra mile and have constantly bent over backwards to set me straight. I have had a rough life and have been rained on too many times, as I've tried to tell others before you. I like this song and there's nothing you can say to change that. I also like "Mr. Songman," "Love song of the Year," "It's Easy For You," and "The Last Farewell." I loathe "Milkcow Blues Boogie" and the studio version of "Love Me Tender."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you'll have to take me as I am or let me go.

If you choose the latter, I'll miss you.
I don't like “The Last Farewell” but do confess to liking the rest of your thumbs up and down list - especially “Love Song of the Year”.

Can you meet me halfway and confess that “The Last Farewell” is dreadful and Ill let you choose “Milkcow Blues Boogie” or the studio version of “Love Me Tender” for me to loathe?
Out of all of those songs, "Milkcow Blues Boogie" is by far the standout, a dynamic and energized rhythm and blues workout also containing a magnificent vocal performance. "It's Easy For You" is one of the worst Presley masters from the 1970's era, and "Love Song of The Year" could easily be renamed "Cow Patty of The Year." "Mr. Songman" is another "Life," a substandard track recorded almost as a favor to the person who submitted it, and the "Last Farewell" is an oddity to say the least (although the stripped down alternates are much less nauseating than the master in all its syrupy post-production). The master of "Love Me Tender" is a classic track, and while its arrangement is understated and perhaps even a bit monotone, the vocal is majestic (the "end title version" contains a much more attractive arrangement and accompaniment).
Spot on !!!

Elvis' vocal and delivery on "Milkcow" is/was a game-changer.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

dannyboy1 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 pm
A more relaxed and easy listening cover version of the Tom Jones hit.
While not my favorite by far, I don't find this song as terrible as others claim, but I definitely wouldn't call it "easy listening"... quite the opposite.

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

MikeTCB
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by MikeTCB »

I think that Elvis could have pulled it off, but, there are other songs that i would have preferred to hear live.

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

What I would like to know is how does a a song like "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" get recorded by Elvis in 76? It surely wasn't submitted as a demo for Elvis. I doubt they got any publishing on it. Was it just a case of Elvis running through songs he liked with the band then deciding to record it instead of the inferior demo material? Or was it planned all along for him to record it? Was it something that Jarvis brought in for Elvis to record? Why would Elvis even want to record a Tom Jones signature song?

YDKM
Registered for: 21 years

Post by YDKM »

eligain wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:55 pm
What I would like to know is how does a a song like "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" get recorded by Elvis in 76? It surely wasn't submitted as a demo for Elvis. I doubt they got any publishing on it. Was it just a case of Elvis running through songs he liked with the band then deciding to record it instead of the inferior demo material? Or was it planned all along for him to record it? Was it something that Jarvis brought in for Elvis to record? Why would Elvis even want to record a Tom Jones signature song?
Yes it was clearly the wrong choice, but Elvis's mind and choices could change instantly, so the result this was recorded instead of 'a fire down below'

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

eligain

Post by eligain »

YDKM wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 pm
eligain wrote:
Yes it was clearly the wrong choice, but Elvis's mind and choices could change instantly, so the result this was recorded instead of 'a fire down below'
I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong choice or that he shouldn't have recorded it. I've always liked Elvis' version. I'm just wondering what was the process and the reasoning for recording a song in 1976 that was written in 1962 and a hit in 67 for Tom Jones? Was it an off the cuff choice or was it definitely slated for the session?

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

YDKM wrote:
eligain wrote:
While I like Elvis' "I'll Never Fall in Love", IMHO, it was a missed opportunity to not do the vocal track on "Fire Down Below." I have a CD with Jerry Scheff talking about the song. There is a vocal track by someone on the CD. Could have been a song with great potential in 1976-1977 for Elvis.

eligain

Post by eligain »

rlj4ep wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:32 pm
YDKM wrote:
eligain wrote:
While I like Elvis' "I'll Never Fall in Love", IMHO, it was a missed opportunity to not do the vocal track on "Fire Down Below." I have a CD with Jerry Scheff talking about the song. There is a vocal track by someone on the CD. Could have been a song with great potential in 1976-1977 for Elvis.
Ever since even before he died, I had been hearing about the Rock and Roll song "Fire Down Below" that Elvis may or may not have recorded at the Graceland sessions and hoping it would be released someday if he had. I even used to think it was the Bob Seger song of the same title. When the instrumental of it surfaced, I really liked it and couldn't stop playing it. But when I heard the lyrics and the way they fit the song, (In my opinion) I felt it was mediocre at best and crap at worst and I'm not that sorry he didn't record it. I doubt it would have been any kind of hit, the lyrics are hokey and kind of embarrassing. I would have probably cringed had he recorded it and released it in 76 or 77. Elvis deserved and should have been recording top shelf Rock and Roll songs from top level song writers, not schlock (my opinion) from his bass player with no song writing or hit song track record. And if he was going to record covers of other's hits, he should have been tackling more of the hits of the day and putting his own spin on them instead of recording covers of 14 year old songs.

eric c
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by eric c »

tb_s76062612.jpg
one of my favorite songs from the blvd album.
i think he woulda knocked it outta the park live.
would love to have heard it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ELVIS ROCKS

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:21 am
No offense to some of you, but Elvis could sing a page of the phone book, missing notes and out of breath, and we would be reading here how good it is because he is singing from his heart and with great emotion. My goodness.
Sounds like Vince Neil.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

4 years on, and I still like Elvis' version of the the Tom Jones song that Ernst wrote "nonfollowers would describe as "Stomach-turning" and I still agree with him.

JYM
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by JYM »

I like it too.

TheKingOfMusicEP
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by TheKingOfMusicEP »

I love Elvis version and I love the whole album. The songs fit well together like almost an concept album. His deep voice and high notes on some of the songs catching my soul every time.
Live would have been great to hear the song from Elvis.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:58 am
I love Elvis version and I love the whole album. The songs fit well together like almost an concept album. His deep voice and high notes on some of the songs catching my soul every time.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

timothy_sideburns
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by timothy_sideburns »

eligain wrote:
This is a really good question and no one has really answered it. I don't know the answer. I also don't think they would have negotiated publishing cuts on a song that has already been a hit. According to some quick google research the copyright was owned by Tyler Music Inc which was 50% owned by Lonnie Donegan the UK music legend who wrote the song. So assuming there's no financial reason it made the shortlist, why was it there? We can only assume Elvis liked it.

Ernst Jorgensen in his book A life in Music offers this explanation.
Perhaps Elvis was looking for a challenge when he turned next to the Tom Jones hit "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." The English star had sighed, moaned, purred, and belted his way through the song, in the manner that delighted his fans while turning the stomachs of non followers. Elvis, though, could no longer compete. It wasn't so much power as tonality that he'd lost, and while he seemed to be trying as hard as he could, it was clear that he could neither hit the notes nor convey the feeling.

Discouraged, he set the song aside for later and moved on to a new contribution from songwriter Mark James, who'd done right by him with "Suspicious Minds" and "Alwavs On My Mind." "Moody Blue," built around a discolike Ronnie Tutt drum figure, was strong commercial songwriting, even if it didn't have much in common with anything else in Elvis's body of work. After a number of foul-ups the engineer called out "take eight," to which Elvis replied, "Yeah. Eight, that's my number." It wasn't, and neither was nine, but ten proved to be the charm.

They did return to finish the Tom jones song with a reasonable performance, whose shortcomings Felton made up for in the overdub.
So we are none the wiser.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Never a favorite and to some degree I find it hard to listen to the complete take 1 or was it 2 as Elvis voice is weaker than usual…IMO
I havent played that… bootleg only take…in almost a decade(?) so maybe its time for another listen…..

DakotaKid
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by DakotaKid »

When it first came out I really disliked it. But as the years went by it grew on me. I can listen to it now.

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
I love Elvis version and I love the whole album.
As I mentioned 5 years ago on the opening page of this thread, I'm one of those rare birds who also like the album. The "Recorded Live" fooled me, though, as a lad when I first listened to it.

I was just a little bitty kid, but I still said, "What the hell?"

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by joekro1977 »

My opinion is unchanged as well - I still like Elvis' take on this song, and I like FEPB as an album too.

But - it would not have worked live.

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Although it was not my favorite, I used to enjoy this song a lot when I was a teenager. However, I encountered numerous opinions here that criticized it as an aberration, along with discussions about Elvis' overall state during that period. These repeated experiences eventually influenced my perspective and essentially... brainwashed me, lol. :lol:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

Wayfarer
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Wayfarer »

Rob wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:59 pm
TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
I love Elvis version and I love the whole album.
As I mentioned 5 years ago on the opening page of this thread, I'm one of those rare birds who also like the album. The "Recorded Live" fooled me, though, as a lad when I first listened to it.

I was just a little bitty kid, but I still said, "What the hell?"
Rare bird? We tend to cherish the presence of rare birds. I have grown into the album and the album has grown into me. I heard it playing just two days ago, and I thought, that would very likely have worked live, and it still has an irrepressible, tingling power today.” And, on stage, it would have been longer than ‘Rags to Riches,’ ‘Hurt,’ and possibly around the same duration as other dramatic readings such a ‘How Great Thou Art’ and ‘Unchained Melody.’ It’s certainly a track I will be playing more and more from now on, and can imagine appreciating the track even more.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Great to see some love for this song and these special sessions on the last page or so.

TheKingOfMusicEP wrote:
Bang! Nailed it.

In many ways, I think these so-called "Jungle Room Sessions" (to borrow the FTD moniker) are the welcome, if tragic and sad, and much-needed bookmark to the yearning, high-voiced singer of awesome promise and radical innocence on the Sun sessions. The JRS recordings circumscribe loneliness/isolation, and ring out with the honesty of a person and an icon distilling their strange life with its unique ups-and-downs through music, with all their emotions channelled through the genius attributes of their legendary voice. And they also close a wider circle, stretching back to Elvis' humble yet grandiose ambition as a young aspiring mimic/singer/entertainer/musician/creator to be "a music man like nobody ever saw" (notice, in his paradoxical phrasing, his emphasis on music and sight, as well as the abnegation of true "seeing" -- i.e, have we ever really "seen" Elvis; have we ever truly encountered him through his music; or are we too eager to dismiss and not see the liquid gold he poured out right in front of us?).

It might be perverse to call the JRS material "a blast"; because, well, obviously, these sessions are different. Or at least different enough that they can't really be weighed against more anonymous if commendably solid work like the "Today" sessions, for instance, or even other reputed highpoints like the TTWII/EC recordings, or the Stax material, or whatever other latter-phase career high-point or milestone fans might point to. This final mound of sound comprises probably the most significant set of songs he recorded, or happened to be recorded singing and working his way through, since the American Sound sessions of 1969. On other sessions following his incredible work with Chips Moman, he was (to my estimation) either hanging back, not fully engaged, bothered by something, or perhaps singing with too much enthusiasm and abandon; and sometimes, maybe, the material wasn't the best fit for his voice or emotional state, or even the surroundings just didn't click. And I say this as a fan, to varying degrees, or pretty much everything Elvis ever recorded (i.e., it's all worth a listen and most of is worth more than one).

It's not that he never found paydirt before; rather, it's as if he hadn't yet grown comfortable with a gnawing melancholy that took him into depression and disillusionment as his Protean moods and mounting setbacks slowly unmade him; as his Comeback Special regeneration slipped father and father into the rear-view mirror, yet with the essential nub of self-belief in his own talents (as he somewhat rediscovered in said special) remaining. Of course, he could certainly sing with conviction and pull you into his emotional world(s), at pretty much any time in his life -- he could, to paraphrase DJC, practically sing the phone book and make it interesting. Yet, on earlier recordings from the same decade, he always seemed to be battling this black dog on his shoulder, never quite embracing it; it was an adversary to deny or appease rather than an underworld companion through Elvis' protracted "dark night of the soul". But, finally, in a recording environment either more favourable to his mental constitution, or with a platter of songs more suited to his regrets and sorrows, he seemed to accept that he had changed and his voice along with it -- he finally, in some sense, embraced every song on its own terms, whilst also singing as if crafting an aural record of resignation, defeat, and flagellating rage. He had finally started to craft not just a concept album, but brought into the world an unspoken new totality, as he always did when operating at his best.

The perversity of all this, it must be said, is that Elvis wasn't really at his best on these sessions (as detractors are all too ready to point out); yet he was at his best for these sessions. That is to say, he was in a state of mind and a quality of health where he happened this time to find a beguiling musical simpatico -- as if each song he sang were an old friend he was pouring his heart out to, and the record button just happened to be pressed to capture what he said, how he sounded. In other words, Elvis practically created a new genre of music here. If the Comeback Special was the first real "unplugged" event of its kind, then the JRS material, if haphazard in its construction (metaphorically speaking: a whole city district and then an abandoned block or two), was a kind of operatic "man cave" journal -- perhaps the nearest Elvis came to emulating those much-lauded "late night confessional" Sinatra albums of the 1950s, but done with Elvis' trademark effusion, bringing his still-inviting, ageless combination of country, r-'n'-b, gospel, and pop fusion, in that prismatic way that only Elvis really could. Bleaker than before, but very raw and real.

"I'll Never Fall in Love Again" is Elvis with his sword and shield -- or, perhaps, a man who knows he is defeated, but who is raging against the dying of the light with overwhelming pride (he tells us he has "cast aside his pride", but we can tell he isn't too happy with that being the final word on his emotional state), making it clear he's willing to meet his end on his shield if that's what it comes to. It's one of those very blunt statements he was willing to make from time-to-time; something like a tuning fork for the entire body of material recorded here. The truncation of verses compared to the better-known Tom Jones version is notable; as, of course, is the broken, shot-through-with-despair way that Elvis sings what he's left himself and the listener with. The chorus singing has this markedly downbeat quality to it, but Elvis still makes sure to furnish the song with moving conflagrations, like when he suddenly operatically cups his voice and protests, "NOOOO, I'm never gonna fall in love..."; or the stunning climax, which might feel a little disconnected from the main body of the song, but which provides a dramatic sense of catharsis, to the exact degree required. The song definitely creates a downbeat mood, one so thick with disenchantment on the part of the singer that you feel Elvis is done with the world and has given up, but he actually stores up his indignation until the end, and those final notes are like the sounds of a man drowning at sea, being pulled to the depths by a Cthulhian beast, its tentacles practically wrenching this embittered sound out of its victim; who, if he has lost to an indifferent cosmos at the end, is still going to express defiance and let us know that he wrestled with himself and contended with nature herself until the bitter end.

All versions of this song have their merits, but in Elvis' capable hands, something fundamental about art can be glimpsed here; what art is, how it functions, and how art changes both the giver and the receiver. In the words of Andrei Tarkovksy: "The artist exists because the world is not perfect. Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man wouldn't look for harmony, but would simply live in it. Art is born out of an ill-designed world." Thus, when Elvis told Red West in October 1976 that he was in the greatest shape of his life, he was perhaps unconsciously saying that he had essentially become the shape of the world. No, not merely fat or oblate, but that he had taken on a sort of tragic beauty; now he was, in some sense, both deformed yet ripened, perhaps in his final phase, and maybe dissolute, yet ready to be claimed by the waves of fate. Of course, compared to how Elvis started out, that might sound pretty sorrowful and grim -- but so be it. This was who and what he had become. If he was gripped by a strange fatalism, it was always there in some measure ("Blue Moon", anyone?). Elvis was the man with the golden records, the golden smile, and now, after a mixture of highs and lows, golden sorrow. "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" is drenched in bleakness that the title itself baldly suggests, and Elvis suitably floods the song with his uncanny presence, transforming the words and melody into a living thing (as was his gift -- "Recorded Live", indeed), reminding us that he could creatively assault us with mood and emotion like Rothko could confound and overwhelm people with colour. In short, like much of what we find in these JRS offerings, it's an underrated Presley palimpsest.

drjohncarpenter

Lordy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:19 am
Lordy.
Miss Clawdy? :wink:

There's a riveting sadness to these recordings. I really dig 'em. Maybe I'm just a sucker for dramatic, high-note endings, which Elvis was a master of.

A lot of his songs from all eras have memorable and exciting "tails". The Sun recordings got the ball rolling immediately with the beautifully effervescent ending of "Mystery Train" (obviously an all-time classic recording), and in a different but equally wonderful way, the gorgeous fade at the end of "Milkcow Blues Boogie"; and to cite another 1950s offering, there's the extraordinarily satisfying climax to the title track of "King Creole". Closing out "Elvis Is Back!" is the insanely cool recording of "Reconsider Baby" with an insanely cool ending of its own, as well as the masterful pop single of "It's Now or Never" and its perfectly-executed finish from the same sessions. For his next secular, non-movie album, Elvis came out with one of the most stunning openers he ever deployed with "There's Always Me", which contains one of the most brilliant and resounding vocal climaxes to any Elvis record (such an evocative, stirring contrast with how he sings the main body of the song); perhaps equalled only by his extraordinary private recording of "If I Loved You" and that phenomenal falsetto ending. I feel like I'm running out of screen space here, but there's also the likes of "Long Black Limousine" and "Kentucky Rain" from the American Sound sessions that are beautiful and haunting and capped by perfect outros, the dazzling endings to "It's Over" and "What Now My Love" from the "Aloha From Hawaii" tapings (I prefer the "rehearsal" show endings, mind you), and yes, EP is still at it in the Jungle Room sessions, however much he had allegedly wrecked his health and compromised his sublime instrument; with "Hurt", "I'll Never Fall in Love Again", and "Danny Boy" being notable examples of his still-towering talent and affinity for closing out a song with a devastating, knock-down ending.

drjohncarpenter

MARTY LACKER:

Elvis sounds so bad on “I'll Never Fall in Love Again.” They never should have released it.

- Elvis Aron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia, pg. 661

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.