Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Before I KICK YOUR A%*! - Elvis changing the lyrics ;-)

Sat May 17, 2003 11:11 pm

What are some of your favorite "alternate" ;) lyrics by Elvis? In concert he often changed of added something to the lyrics.

"The old home town looks the same as I fell out - uh - stepped down from the train ..." - Green, Green Grass Of Home (Request Box Shows)

"Please let's forget the past - before I kick your *splash*!!" - Don't Be Cruel.

"One night with you / That's what I'm now paying for, you dirty s%*t!" One Night (from either Electrifying or Get Down And Get With It (always mix them up))

"You taught me how to milk a cow" - A Fool Such As I (form his 1961 Hawaii concert)

I'm not the person that think he forgot lyrics or something. In fact I'm sure Elvis knew hundreds and hundreds of lyrics. Something not many performers do. So, this is meant to be a fun thread. Let's share some of Elvis' humor! :)

Sat May 17, 2003 11:24 pm

“Stranger In My Own Home Town” – rehearsal - July 24 1970, RCA Hollywood. Great performance and great lyrics, but I’m not going to repeat them here!

Sat May 17, 2003 11:46 pm

rockinrebel wrote:“Stranger In My Own Home Town” – rehearsal - July 24 1970, RCA Hollywood. Great performance and great lyrics, but I’m not going to repeat them here!

LOL!! Yeah, you're right. He also changes the lyrics a lot during "Don't Cry Daddy"!

I also like that rehearsal of "Twenty Days And Twenty Nights" where he goes: "I left my wife with a guy named Bill" instead of "with unpayed bills".

Sat May 17, 2003 11:51 pm

TTWII - "Suspicious Minds"

"So if an old friend I know, shove it up your nose, stops by to say hello, would I still see suspicion in your eyes?"

And of course the classic from "Are you Lonesome Tonight?"

"Do you gaze at your bald head, and wish you had hair?"

Lisa :D

Sat May 17, 2003 11:51 pm

I like the 'If you love me let me know and if you don't then .....move it' line too - very funny.

Couple of others not mentioned yet are on Trilogy on the import Sold Out In Dixie for instance where he follows up the backing vocals of 'Oh I wish I was in Dixie' with 'You are you fools'.

Another one from Trilogy being where he sings 'Look away Disneyland'

Good fun !

Sat May 17, 2003 11:59 pm

'said daddy oh don't you dare.....she had a deep voice'

'Heartburn Motel'

Sun May 18, 2003 12:04 am

Tulsa wrote:What about "You give me hope and constipation" anybody know the tiltle? :lol:

"The Wonder Of You"

Yeah, "Heartburn Motel" is another hilarious and very ironic example, I guess. He used it often in the 50ies, I guess.

He also changed the lyrics a lot in "Love Me Tender", didn't he? "You have made my nose turn blue" and "Till we blow our minds ..."

Sun May 18, 2003 12:13 am

Tulsa wrote:What about "You give me hope and constipation" anybody know the tiltle? :lol:

“The Wonder Of You” – when Elvis sings the correct “hope and consolation” lyrics in the version first released on “The Lost Performances” he turns to the right as if he is making eye contact with another member of the band, and gives a little smile afterwards. As he was using the “constipation” line during his August, 1970 shows, I’ve often wondered whether the film’s producers asked Elvis to perform a “straight” version of the song, in case they wanted to use it for the movie.

Sun May 18, 2003 12:32 am

Little Rock 56

Blue Suede Shoes "burn my wife, steal my car"Image
I Was The One "who learned a lesson when she broke my leg"Image

Sun May 18, 2003 1:47 am

How about Tennessee Waltz:

"Yes I lost my little britches, to those sons of bitches !"

Colin B

Sun May 18, 2003 1:54 am

How About "Dont't cry daddy"
when he was going to say

daddy get up from you're a** again.

curtis simpkins

Sun May 18, 2003 1:57 am

In one version of "Fever" Elvis sings "...... she likes the Beach Boys"

Sun May 18, 2003 2:31 am

HEART OF ROME--"I'll take a P*SS in every fountain"

Sun May 18, 2003 2:34 am

What about "You give me hope and constipation" anybody know the tiltle?

Dallas 1975 show.

How about Vegas 74 performance of Never Been To Spain:

Well, I never been to England / But I kinbda like the Beatles / But I don't.

This is a great quote for the Beatles v Elvis debates.

Sun May 18, 2003 4:34 am

Wasn't Priscilla in the audience and Elvis was looking at her and sang "You have made my life a wreck..."

Sun May 18, 2003 4:54 am

Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues (Live 73 or 74)

Play around you'll lose your wife - 'I already did that!'

Play too long you'll lose your life - 'I almost did that!'

-----

Was Elvis making a vague reference there to an alleged overdose situation?

Sun May 18, 2003 5:00 am

Little Darlin (Live in Memphis 1975)

He throws these phrases into the melody:

"What ya'll doin'?" "Don't just stand there - do something - hold my hand"

Sun May 18, 2003 12:18 pm

At one time during Love Me Tender he sang: because you take the pill, instead of and I always will...

How about all those funny lines during Memories and You've Lost That Lovin Feelin (rehearsal July 1970 - Brightest Star CD's) Very funny!

And in Stay Away he sings: where eagles sh*t! instead of where eagles fly.

Sonny

Sun May 18, 2003 6:38 pm

This is a fun -and funny- thread, or just revealing ! I know most of these, but a few are new to me! ("Good Time Charlie..." and the Beatles comment)

I think Elvis' sense of humor is unfortunately not always better known to the public at large. He was one sharp cookie in his way, able to poke fun at his material and himself.( Sometimes he did this too much, and I wish he had just changed his act a bit to stop the '50s songs of which he was tired.)

But anyway, that very humor is an antidote to the worst assumptions and jokes that have crept into his posthumous image....

I'm sure "Cut Me and I Bleed" can furnish more some quips.

Sun May 18, 2003 11:00 pm

The "Dear Georgie" thing during one of the released outtakes of "Only The Strong Survive" on...which one was it, There´s Always Me Vol. 3 or American Crown Jewels...? :)

Sincerely MB280E

Mon May 19, 2003 1:10 am

Las Vegas, August 1972 m/s : One Night

"Don't call my name! I'll be there right by your side. There aint no need for my old sweet helping hand, (because) my love's too strong for your hide".
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/reviews/rev720807.htm

Mon May 19, 2003 9:07 pm

From the original version of "Elvis-That's the Way It Is":

SUSPICIOUS MINDS:
"All but our love survives/I'll dry the SWEAT from your eyes..."

Tom (from Ohio)

Mon May 19, 2003 9:40 pm

FOR THE GOOD TIMES:

"Hold your warm and sweaty body close to mine ..."

Can't remember the record that one's on ...

Tue May 20, 2003 6:55 am

You shoulda heard them knocked out SOB's (not abbreviated) sing, let's rock!

AND

Just take a walk down Lonely Street to Holiday Inn...

Tue May 20, 2003 6:58 am

Oh yeah...

Wise men know when it's time, time to go
(followed up on one occasion with)
But I can't help falling in love with Joe