Please go to the following URL:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 10665.html

Brian

Re: New RIAA Certifications For Elvis

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Nice to read...and well deserved...thanks for the post!! :D

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Notice all the gospel and Christmas compilations. Just keep reissuing those same tracks on different titled packages and they just keep selling and selling. Amazing!

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Even with all that he didn't surpass the great Garth Brooks. He's still behind the legendary Garth Brooks and it will probably be another ten years before Sony requests another sales audit and gets a big sales upgrade for Elvis like this one. So Garth Brook is the man of all time.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm

brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm wrote:Even with all that he didn't surpass the great Garth Brooks. He's still behind the legendary Garth Brooks and it will probably be another ten years before Sony requests another sales audit and gets a big sales upgrade for Elvis like this one. So Garth Brook is the man of all time.

Garth can be the man of all time on his forum.Around here Elvis is the man of all time.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 pm

brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:10 pm wrote:Even with all that he didn't surpass the great Garth Brooks. He's still behind the legendary Garth Brooks and it will probably be another ten years before Sony requests another sales audit and gets a big sales upgrade for Elvis like this one. So Garth Brook is the man of all time.

Indeed,and I have no doubt that Garth (whom I regard very highly after Bruce) will surpass the Beatles, but do you really believe that Garth has or will have ever sold more than Elvis?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Garth Brooks is on "the record" stating the following;

It`s truly an honor to be even considered on the same sales level as him...but I think we all know who has sold more..Elvis"

I seen that myself when an interviewer asked him...classy guy :wink:

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:20 pm

FredAistair on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:06 pm wrote:Indeed,and I have no doubt that Garth (whom I regard very highly after Bruce) will surpass the Beatles, but do you really believe that Garth has or will have ever sold more than Elvis?

Garth Brooks most likely will not catch the Beatles as they are still thirty million ahead and new album releases in this era are few and far between.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:25 pm

brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:10 pm wrote:Even with all that he didn't surpass the great Garth Brooks. He's still behind the legendary Garth Brooks and it will probably be another ten years before Sony requests another sales audit and gets a big sales upgrade for Elvis like this one. So Garth Brook is the man of all time.

In the US maybe, but worldwide? Not a chance. Garth who?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Garth Brooks has a big following in Ireland. It wouldn't surprise me if he outsold Elvis there as well.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm

are we talking album sales or total units sold for all records? Years ago, I heard Garth passed Elvis as far as album sales go. The Beatles also. Total sales are a different story. Elvis has had so many products on the market(King of the comps) , no doubt complied sales come into play here. The Beatles hardly have more than their original released catalog available which is quite amazing. They don't have many comps at all. Garth may have an upper hand over them both though as he is still around and capable of quite a few more releases in his career.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm

On an individual basis, Garth`s best-selling albums have sold more than Elvis`s best-selling albums. Considerably so, in fact. His sales were phenomenal in the 1990s and at the start of the millennium. Great music, too. But this takes nothing away from Elvis`s success or sales, and it's good to see some upgrades from the R.I.A.A.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm

not the video I was talking earlier but some nice thoughts...Garth talks Elvis on Elvis` 80 Birthday;

starts at the 5:00 mark through to 6:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s3N5FzZ-hA

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Brian Quinn on March 8th, 2018, 5:28 pm wrote:Please go to the following URL:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 10665.html

Brian

The following LP here below is fantastic! 8). Thank you Joan Deary smt125. Bye for now :smt006.

Elvis: A Legendary Performer Vol. 1 - Multi-Platinum (3X) Album (certified July 31, 2017)

RCA's Joan Deary produced all the Elvis: A Legendary Performer albums

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:00 pm

r&b on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm wrote:are we talking album sales or total units sold for all records? Years ago, I heard Garth passed Elvis as far as album sales go. The Beatles also. Total sales are a different story. Elvis has had so many products on the market(King of the comps) , no doubt complied sales come into play here. The Beatles hardly have more than their original released catalog available which is quite amazing. They don't have many comps at all. Garth may have an upper hand over them both though as he is still around and capable of quite a few more releases in his career.

Garth Brooks in U.S. albums sales is ahead of Elvis 148 million to 146.5. Over the past fifteen years they've been going back and forth on who has sold more albums in the U.S. but Garth still has the edge even with the sales upgrades that Elvis just got. The Beatles are #1 with 178 million album sales.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Have to say I had to google up who the dickens Garth Brooks is . Never heard of the man on radio or TV over here or print.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 am

brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm wrote:
r&b on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:38 pm wrote:are we talking album sales or total units sold for all records? Years ago, I heard Garth passed Elvis as far as album sales go. The Beatles also. Total sales are a different story. Elvis has had so many products on the market(King of the comps) , no doubt complied sales come into play here. The Beatles hardly have more than their original released catalog available which is quite amazing. They don't have many comps at all. Garth may have an upper hand over them both though as he is still around and capable of quite a few more releases in his career.

Garth Brooks in U.S. albums sales is ahead of Elvis 148 million to 146.5. Over the past fifteen years they've been going back and forth on who has sold more albums in the U.S. but Garth still has the edge even with the sales upgrades that Elvis just got. The Beatles are #1 with 178 million album sales.

RIAA lists awards, not albums sold. If I release one album that sells half a million copies, I get a gold award. You, on the other hand, release five albums, and they sell 400,000 copies each, a total of two million copies. You get no awards, and according to RIAA, you have sold nothing at all, even though, in reality, you have sold four times as much as me. Elvis has a hell of a lot of albums that are either between awards or have failed to reach gold level. If we add all of these invisible figures together, Elvis has outsold The Beatles and Garth Brooks combined, probably many times over.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 am

Ken Jensen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm wrote:RIAA lists awards, not albums sold. If I release one album that sells half a million copies, I get a gold award. You, on the other hand, release five albums, and they sell 400,000 copies each, a total of two million copies. You get no awards, and according to RIAA, you have sold nothing at all, even though, in reality, you have sold four times as much as me. Elvis has a hell of a lot of albums that are either between awards or have failed to reach gold level. If we add all of these black figures together, Elvis has outsold The Beatles and Garth Brooks combined, probably many times over.

What you have written about Elvis outselling The Beatles and Garth Brooks is speculation. All the RIAA does is document sales that are submitted to them by the labels. Garth Brooks has more certified album sales in the U.S. than Elvis does that's a fact. They do list albums sold you have to have sales standards and sales thresholds. You can't say oh Elvis must've had 50 albums that sold 400,000 copies. It's easier track if you have sales standards. It's not fair to give Elvis credit for outselling everyone because he might've had a bunch of albums that sold 400,000. Talk is cheap.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:19 am

brian on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:16 am wrote:
Ken Jensen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm wrote:RIAA lists awards, not albums sold. If I release one album that sells half a million copies, I get a gold award. You, on the other hand, release five albums, and they sell 400,000 copies each, a total of two million copies. You get no awards, and according to RIAA, you have sold nothing at all, even though, in reality, you have sold four times as much as me. Elvis has a hell of a lot of albums that are either between awards or have failed to reach gold level. If we add all of these black figures together, Elvis has outsold The Beatles and Garth Brooks combined, probably many times over.

What you have written about Elvis outselling The Beatles and Garth Brooks is speculation. All the RIAA does is document sales that are submitted to them by the labels. Garth Brooks has more certified album sales in the U.S. than Elvis does that's a fact. They do list albums sold you have to have sales standards and sales thresholds. You can't say oh Elvis must've had 50 albums that sold 400,000 copies. It's easier track if you have sales standards. It's not fair to give Elvis credit for outselling everyone because he might've had a bunch of albums that sold 400,000. Talk is cheap.

Elvis has released many times more albums than those artists combined. Do the math.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:23 am

sweetangeline on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm wrote:Garth Brooks is on "the record" stating the following;

It`s truly an honor to be even considered on the same sales level as him...but I think we all know who has sold more..Elvis"

I seen that myself when an interviewer asked him...classy guy :wink:

Do these RIAA figures for Elvis refer to physical album sales or count streaming equivalents, like I think they do now?

Garth Brooks was obsessed with being the No. 1 sales artist of all time some years ago when he was selling 5 million physical copies of every album in the mid- and late 1990s. He would offer deeply discounted box sets of all his albums at mass merchandisers like Walmart (you could count every CD in a 7-disc set as 1 unit, per the RIAA).

He is the about the last major artist to withhold his albums from streaming services such as Spotify and iTunes. He doesn't even do downloads, except through some obscure service that he was an investor in. That probably helps his physical sales somewhat.

I was a big fan of Brooks 20 years ago and saw him several times in concert when he was at the peak of his popularity. I don't follow current country music as closely as I once did, but I heard the singles off his last album. Didn't buy it, though, although I have all his LPs from the 1990s. The singles didn't do as well as they would have when he was at his popularity peak, but retiring for 16 years will do that. That's several lifetimes in music, and country radio does not play the current records of "older" artists the way it once did.
Last edited by MRM on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 am

Just album sales.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 am

Ken Jensen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm wrote:
brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm wrote:

RIAA lists awards, not albums sold. If I release one album that sells half a million copies, I get a gold award. You, on the other hand, release five albums, and they sell 400,000 copies each, a total of two million copies. You get no awards, and according to RIAA, you have sold nothing at all, even though, in reality, you have sold four times as much as me. Elvis has a hell of a lot of albums that are either between awards or have failed to reach gold level. If we add all of these black figures together, Elvis has outsold The Beatles and Garth Brooks combined, probably many times over.

By that reckoning, you would need around 175 Elvis albums that have sold 400,000 copies each to match Garth`s seven best-selling albums. Elvis hasn't outsold Garth and the Beatles many times over.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 am

Phenomenal news! The King! 8)

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:56 am

Love it! 8)

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 am

The riaa only reports sales they have audited.Anyone who thinks Brooks outsold Elvis is only displaying their ignorance