Still "In A Spin" --> 60 Years Later!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Still "In A Spin" --> 60 Years Later!

Post by jurasic1968 »

Elvis was already "Like a Stranger in My Own Hometown".

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Sebastian Jeansson's page on "Without You" was made 13 years ago (7-17-2001), and evidence found since then indicates Sam probably did record Elvis, such as the Edwin Howard article above.

Besides, how could the producer analyze the young man's potential for record release otherwise? Playbacks after Presley left probably convinced Phillips that some kind of rhythmic support was worth trying, which led to his suggesting the meeting at Scotty Moore's house, and we all know what happened after that.

Below is my look at June 26, a crucial event in Elvis' life and career, just a month before the photo which inspired this topic.

---

Memphis, TN - Saturday, June 26, 1954

Sun Records producer Sam Phillips asks assistant Marion Keisker to call Elvis Presley and see if the 19 year-old would be interested in coming down to 706 Union to try out singing a demo Phillips got from Peer Music in Nashville. The song is called "Without You."

"I was there by the time she hung up the phone," recalls Elvis.

The demo, acquired by Phillips in May 1954, was made by someone that neither Sam nor Marion could track down. Thus, the inspiration a few weeks later -- thanks Marion! -- to call young Presley. About a week after the June 26 visit, on Sunday, July 4, Elvis met up with local guitarist and musician Scotty Moore, jammed on some tunes that afternoon with Moore and his fellow musician and friend Bill Black, and the very next evening the three of them met up at the studio after work and ultimately taped what would become the A-side of Sun 209. And nothing would ever be the same after that.

Sadly, the full demo of "Without You" has never been issued, although a small segment was aired on the 1987 BBC-TV documentary "I Don't Sing Like Nobody." It pops up on the internet from time to time.

Like --> HERE.

(This excerpt will only be available temporarily, as the share site link does not retain files for free.)
Thanks for very detailed post. It was a nice read.

Just of out of curiosity, which would the new "evidence found" that Sam probably did record Elvis doing this song ? I guess that would have to be unpublished interviews with Sam and / or Marion, as I don't think any written records of that day have survived, if any were made in the first place.

How ironic that the demo by the unknown singer has survived, and Elvis' recording of the same song has not. Couldn't we switch roles ?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I pulled a better quality copy of the July 28, 1954 "Front Row" column from Edwin Howard, and will add it to the OP.

Plus I've now determined there are two examples of the "moody" alternate shot that appeared in the paper, once in September, and again in December. How I wish we had all the Jim Reid photos from that pre-fame visit to the newspaper.

Will add that to page one as well. Enjoy Elvis Still "In A Spin" . . . 68 years later.

Time flies, man.

'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Omg Doc, what an awesome read.

I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever seen that "Moody" alternate picture of Elvis ever. Much better pic.

Once again, Thanks bro.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

minkahed wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:39 am
Omg Doc, what an awesome read.

I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever seen that "Moody" alternate picture of Elvis ever. Much better pic.

Once again, Thanks bro.

Thanks.

The "moody" pic fits the iconic '50s rebel image (Memphis Marlon Brando) more so than the one which made the paper in July 1954 (sweet young man), but no one that long-ago summer had any idea what was next . . . just a few days away.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Wonderful post, Doc! Thanks a million for it...

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA