Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New RIAA Certifications For Elvis

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 am

Worldwide Elvis has sold more than all of them. that matters more. :D

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am

I’m hoping a forum member can answer this, not just speculate please:

We know the RIAA came into being in 1958 and during Elvis’s lifetime only a handful of RIAA certifications were requested.
When the label asked for audits and provided shipment paperwork does the RIAA only consider shipments made 1958 and forward.
For example has the multi-platinum awards given “Don’t be cruel/Hound Dog” represent shipments from August 1958 to present only or, if paperwork provided, does the certifications include 1956-1958?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 am

ForeverElvis on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:54 am wrote:I’m hoping a forum member can answer this, not just speculate please:

We know the RIAA came into being in 1958 and during Elvis’s lifetime only a handful of RIAA certifications were requested.
When the label asked for audits and provided shipment paperwork does the RIAA only consider shipments made 1958 and forward.
For example has the multi-platinum awards given “Don’t be cruel/Hound Dog” represent shipments from August 1958 to present only or, if paperwork provided, does the certifications include 1956-1958?

Yes. The RIAA does give awards for records made prior to 1958 if the labels submit the proper paper work. Don't be cruel/ Hound dog has gotten a 4x platinum award from the RIAA a long time ago. All of Elvis' other singles from 1956 and 1957 as well as his albums have all received sale certifications from the RIAA.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 pm

It depends what the record company wants to share about sales. Low sales means less royalties to pay.

colonel snow

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Am I correct in saying the latest updates are 11 million? When was Elvis last major updates?
if they ever find the lost sales for 1977-78 then Elvis' total sales would be over 200 million.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Garth Brooks sales are phenomenal for sure but he has released them over and over again at very cheap prices and store exclusives to stay ahead.Nothing wrong with that but I see him as more of a business man than a musician and he comes across to me as insincere and falsely modest his interviews are cringeworthy.Maybe just me mind you but he rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

norrie

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:35 pm

brian on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am wrote:Even with all that he didn't surpass the great Garth Brooks. He's still behind the legendary Garth Brooks and it will probably be another ten years before Sony requests another sales audit and gets a big sales upgrade for Elvis like this one. So Garth Brook is the man of all time.

The RIAA will soon make a list of combined US CERTIFIED sales and these will be the results (LOL)

Rank.............. Artist ............... Albums............... Singles .............. Total
1 ............... Beatles ............. 178................... 24.5 ............. 202,5
2 .............. Elvis Presley.............. 146.5.................... 50.5 ............. 197
3 ............... Garth Brooks ............... 148 ................... 1............. 149
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Garth Brooks sales are phenomenal for sure but he has released them over and over again at very cheap prices and store exclusives to stay ahead.Nothing wrong with that but I see him as more of a business man than a musician and he comes across to me as insincere and falsely modest his interviews are cringeworthy.Maybe just me mind you but he rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

Norrie- you are spot on. While I enjoy many of Garth's releases, he is a marketing genius. Actually, I believe he received a BA in Marketing from Oklahoma University. Anyway, he has repackaged the same CDs over and over in various boxed sets that have sold exclusively through retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Each boxed set has contained the original album plus some unreleased tracks or a bonus CD, etc. to entice the sellers to pick it up equating to more sales for the original albums in his catalog. A lot of those sales and boxed sets were during his "retirement" from the industry. He also kept his music from iTunes and outher download sites and he spoke out against re-sale CD shops because as he explained the same CD can be bought and sold numerous times but the artists and musicians only get paid once for the sale. So, you had to buy his material at retail stores. Then, when he re-emerged a year or so ago, he began a book series that once again contains his previously issued CDs with some demos and outtakes. Again, raising his sales totals as well as padding his bank account. If I recall, Brooks was famous for saying that he more money than his grandkids' kids could ever spend.

He has indeed marketed himself very well and in doing so has sold a lot of music.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:The RIAA will soon make a list of combined US CERTIFIED sales

who has confirmed this...link please??

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm

How many times has Elvis`s albums been reissued, repackaged, or sold at discount over the years?! Not overlooking the Camden, budget label, which has accounted for millions of sales and numerous R.I.A.A. certifications for Elvis. But I admire Garth`s business acumen and the way he manages his own interests. I'm a fan, he's recorded some great albums and terrific music over the years, and he's a fantastic showman. But reissues and repackaged albums aren't solely his domain. Far from it. Whilst his albums sold remarkably well on release during the 1990s; Sevens sold 897,000 copies in its first week. Double Live sold over a million copies in its first week. His success has been exceptional.
Last edited by Greystoke on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:09 pm

r&b on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38 am wrote:are we talking album sales or total units sold for all records? Years ago, I heard Garth passed Elvis as far as album sales go. The Beatles also. Total sales are a different story. Elvis has had so many products on the market(King of the comps) , no doubt complied sales come into play here. The Beatles hardly have more than their original released catalog available which is quite amazing. They don't have many comps at all. Garth may have an upper hand over them both though as he is still around and capable of quite a few more releases in his career.

Other than the original Elvis' Golden Records series and the reissuing of his Christmas album when Elvis was alive, the 'King of the comps' is typically brought up, but not in a good way.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Jaime1234 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 am wrote:The RIAA will soon make a list of combined US CERTIFIED sales and these will be the results

Rank.............. Artist ............... Albums............... Singles .............. Total
1 ............... Beatles ............. 178................... 24.5 ............. 202,5
2 .............. Elvis Presley.............. 146.5.................... 50.5 ............. 197
3 ............... Garth Brooks ............... 148 ................... 1............. 149

No.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

ORION on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm wrote:Garth Brooks sales are phenomenal for sure but he has released them over and over again at very cheap prices and store exclusives to stay ahead.Nothing wrong with that but I see him as more of a business man than a musician and he comes across to me as insincere and falsely modest his interviews are cringeworthy.Maybe just me mind you but he rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

Norrie- you are spot on. While I enjoy many of Garth's releases, he is a marketing genius. Actually, I believe he received a BA in Marketing from Oklahoma University. Anyway, he has repackaged the same CDs over and over in various boxed sets that have sold exclusively through retailers like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Each boxed set has contained the original album plus some unreleased tracks or a bonus CD, etc. to entice the sellers to pick it up equating to more sales for the original albums in his catalog. A lot of those sales and boxed sets were during his "retirement" from the industry. He also kept his music from iTunes and outher download sites and he spoke out against re-sale CD shops because as he explained the same CD can be bought and sold numerous times but the artists and musicians only get paid once for the sale. So, you had to buy his material at retail stores. Then, when he re-emerged a year or so ago, he began a book series that once again contains his previously issued CDs with some demos and outtakes. Again, raising his sales totals as well as padding his bank account. If I recall, Brooks was famous for saying that he more money than his grandkids' kids could ever spend.

He has indeed marketed himself very well and in doing so has sold a lot of music.

It is not my music, but I admire what he achieved with so few titles, selling so many albums.

Since 1989, Brooks has released 21 records in all, which include: 12 studio albums, 1 live album, 3 compilation albums, 3 Christmas albums and 4 box sets, along with 77 singles according to wikipedia. The Beatles catalogue is also very limited. Elvis released 86 albums during his lifetime and even more singles. After 1977 we all lost count of the number of compilations and re-re-rereleases. I don't think there is one artist who has had as many re-re-re-rereleases as Elvis. Selling a lot of copies with a limited discography is in my opinion a greater achievement than selling the same amount with a couple of hundred titles.

Elvis problem is that he and his record company should have taken care of business and the catalogue. But Elvis never seemed to care for his catalogue. Think what his catalogue could have looked like if had taken care of it ...

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Artists from Elvis' era didn't sell very many albums the Beatles are kinda the exception to that. They remained popular even after they broke up and their original albums continued selling and building up sales throughout the years. Every other artist from the 1950s or 1960s didn't sell a great deal of albums that's why Elvis had a bunch of albums at gold, platinum or 2x platinum. He wasn't able to release an album and have it sale 10 million copies. Garth Brooks had the benefit of debuting in the late 1980s and CD sales were quite huge during the 1990's and he was able to reap the rewards of that. If Garth was from an earlier era he wouldn't be anywhere near the top of best selling artists in the United States. All that being said I do agree that Elvis' label should've taken a less is more approach to him and not released quite so many albums. However again most of his albums never would have individually sold as much as Garth Brooks has no matter what.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm

brian on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 pm wrote:Artists from Elvis' era didn't sell very many albums the Beatles are kinda the exception to that. They remained popular even after they broke up and their original albums continued selling and building up sales throughout the years. Every other artist from the 1950s or 1960s didn't sell a great deal of albums that's why Elvis had a bunch of albums at gold, platinum or 2x platinum. He wasn't able to release an album and have it sale 10 million copies. Garth Brooks had the benefit of debuting in the late 1980s and CD sales were quite huge during the 1990's and he was able to reap the rewards of that. If Garth was from an earlier era he wouldn't be anywhere near the top of best selling artists in the United States. All that being said I do agree that Elvis' label should've taken a less is more approach to him and not released quite so many albums. However again most of his albums never would have individually sold as much as Garth Brooks has no matter what.

I think it was a benefit Elvis was popular before the CD era. All fan old and new (re)bought the original vinyl albums. And they continue to do so

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 pm

ORION on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm wrote:Garth Brooks sales are phenomenal for sure but he has released them over and over again at very cheap prices and store exclusives to stay ahead.Nothing wrong with that but I see him as more of a business man than a musician and he comes across to me as insincere and falsely modest his interviews are cringeworthy.Maybe just me mind you but he rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

I wouldn't disagree with that greystoke I was a fan of his music for a while I saw him live up in Aberdeen back in the nineties he just lost me somewhere along the way.He was probably my entry point into Country music but as I got deeper into the genre he got further and further out sight for me.And yes Elvis has been repackaged more than most.

norrie

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 pm

sweetangeline on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:The RIAA will soon make a list of combined US CERTIFIED sales

who has confirmed this...link please??

No one has, I was just TRYING to making our Garth Brooks visitor nervous...

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm

I was expecting some certifications to be announced and presented for the 40th Anniversary and was surprised and disappointed that nothing happened. I remember thinking Sony couldn’tn care less. And now all of the sudden 17 with a press release. I read that Priscilla will be in Memphis for te showing of “The Searcher” in The Guesthouse and that there will be a delegate from Sony, amongst others. My guess is that the new certfied records will be handed to her over then.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:53 pm

ORION on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 am wrote:Garth Brooks sales are phenomenal for sure but he has released them over and over again at very cheap prices and store exclusives to stay ahead.Nothing wrong with that but I see him as more of a business man than a musician and he comes across to me as insincere and falsely modest his interviews are cringeworthy.Maybe just me mind you but he rubs me up the wrong way for some reason.

I'd forgotten about Brooks' short-lived fight against the used CD market. I was working in a record store around that time, one that did a huge business in used CDs. If I recall, the owner was quoted in Billboard about just how stupid Brooks' plan was. The first-sale doctrine had been a bedrock of US copyright law for over 80 years. Book authors and movie makers didn't get a cut when somebody resold a novel or their VHS copy of "Weekend at Bernie's."

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Josee wrote:I was expecting some certifications to be announced and presented for the 40th Anniversary and was surprised and disappointed that nothing happened. I remember thinking Sony couldn’tn care less. And now all of the sudden 17 with a press release. I read that Priscilla will be in Memphis for te showing of “The Searcher” in The Guesthouse and that there will be a delegate from Sony, amongst others. My guess is that the new certfied records will be handed to her over then.

...and that is not a coincidence...ELVIS PRESLEY THE SEARCHER is coming and this announcement ties in nicely...notice how the mention of THE SEARCHER is included with the announcement!! :D 8 of the 17 titles could have been announced September 2017 but they waited...because THE SEARCHER is coming...beware of THE SEARCHER :wink:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:29 am

brian on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:29 pm wrote:
Jaime1234 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 am wrote:The RIAA will soon make a list of combined US CERTIFIED sales and these will be the results

No.

You may not like it but this is a more accurate list sorry Garth fan

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:49 am

sweetangeline on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 pm wrote:
Josee wrote:I was expecting some certifications to be announced and presented for the 40th Anniversary and was surprised and disappointed that nothing happened. I remember thinking Sony couldn’tn care less. And now all of the sudden 17 with a press release. I read that Priscilla will be in Memphis for te showing of “The Searcher” in The Guesthouse and that there will be a delegate from Sony, amongst others. My guess is that the new certfied records will be handed to her over then.

...and that is not a coincidence...ELVIS PRESLEY THE SEARCHER is coming and this announcement ties in nicely...notice how the mention of THE SEARCHER is included with the announcement!! :D 8 of the 17 titles could have been announced September 2017 but they waited...because THE SEARCHER is coming...beware of THE SEARCHER :wink:

I agree with you. The same thought had crossed my mind. Should have mentioned it in my post.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:07 am

Josee wrote:
sweetangeline on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 pm wrote:

I agree with you. The same thought had crossed my mind. Should have mentioned it in my post.

...not a problem...beware of THE SEARCHER and :cheers:

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:58 am

brian wrote:
Ken Jensen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm wrote:RIAA lists awards, not albums sold. If I release one album that sells half a million copies, I get a gold award. You, on the other hand, release five albums, and they sell 400,000 copies each, a total of two million copies. You get no awards, and according to RIAA, you have sold nothing at all, even though, in reality, you have sold four times as much as me. Elvis has a hell of a lot of albums that are either between awards or have failed to reach gold level. If we add all of these black figures together, Elvis has outsold The Beatles and Garth Brooks combined, probably many times over.

What you have written about Elvis outselling The Beatles and Garth Brooks is speculation. All the RIAA does is document sales that are submitted to them by the labels. Garth Brooks has more certified album sales in the U.S. than Elvis does that's a fact. They do list albums sold you have to have sales standards and sales thresholds. You can't say oh Elvis must've had 50 albums that sold 400,000 copies. It's easier track if you have sales standards. It's not fair to give Elvis credit for outselling everyone because he might've had a bunch of albums that sold 400,000. Talk is cheap.

No it is not fair, but I can’t help but wonder... There has been so many Presley releases since 1977. We’re talking about hundreds of releases. Let’s just say that each release sold 50,000, not to mention the lost sales from 1977. I bet it would be an amazing sales number to boast about.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:04 am

brian wrote:

No.

I haven’t been on the RIAA website in a long time. Are those the correct numbers combined? If so, I’m not surprised to see Presley in second place.