Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:48 am

Dave is a little hypocritical. I believe that if he, Red and Sonny had NOT been fired, then they too would fall into the category of "friends" of Elvis who took the money and perks. I don't think they would have written a book to "help" Elvis if they were still employed, even knowing he was an addict. The book was a revenge ploy, that, after Elvis died, they tried to cover as an attempt to help. After 37 years, I'm sure all three now believe it.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:57 am

rocknroll wrote:Dave is a little hypocritical. I believe that if he, Red and Sonny had NOT been fired, then they too would fall into the category of "friends" of Elvis who took the money and perks. I don't think they would have written a book to "help" Elvis if they were still employed, even knowing he was an addict. The book was a revenge ploy, that, after Elvis died, they tried to cover as an attempt to help. After 37 years, I'm sure all three now believe it.


Since they took steps to get Elvis off the cycle of drugs he was taking, there is no way they would NOT have been fired. Thus, there is no way "they too would fall into the category of 'friends' of Elvis who took the money and perks."

That's exactly what happened in July 1976 and it is exactly the point you miss.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Delboy wrote:Dave Hebler's response to James Burton......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My response to James Burton:

Frankly, I didn't realize that James Burton somehow became God's spokesperson with the power to "forgive" on the one hand and then to "condemn" on the other hand. It must be nice to know the mind of God.

Nevertheless, I usually try and just ignore the haters out there but James Burton's vicious attack on Red West (and of course on Sonny West and myself) is just too much for me to ignore.

Besides Red, Sonny and I, there were others who tried to help to the extent that they were able. But, on the other hand, there were others (like Burton and you know who else I mean), who, over the years, have been quick to condemn Red, Sonny and myself for our efforts with the "book" to try and do something to help Elvis with his addiction problems. Not only have these people condemned us for trying but attack us in the vilest of ways possible. Those attacks, apparently, are alive and well even today in the minds of those who don't have a brain and are anxious and determined to place the blame of Elvis' addiction on anyone except the person who was responsible....Elvis himself. So, for those of you who have decided to attack us for our efforts, I would like to offer the following for your consideration:

1. - Elvis was a drug addict. Even the most stupid and hateful of you must realize this indisputable fact.

2. - Those of you "friends of Elvis" who have preached the absurd notion (among others ) that "the book" caused Elvis' death are nothing more than self-serving morons who preach this nonsense to the fans because you believe that the fans are gullible fools who are stupid enough to believe your bullshit (and apparently there are some who do). You prey on the feelings of fans who you know don't want to hear anything negative about someone that they love. Shame on you. Frankly, I believe that the fans are adult enough and smart enough to prefer to get slapped in the face with the truth than get kissed on the lips with a lie.

3. - Suppose that the drug addict was your son. Wouldn't you try and do anything to help your son? Of course you would. Well, Elvis' father did absolutely nothing that anyone is aware of to help his son with his addiction. But, he surely did continue to take the money and perks. Didn't he?

4. - Suppose that the drug addict was (according to you), your very best friend and someone that you loved (so you say). Wouldn't you at least try and do something to help your "beloved best friend?" Of course you would. Tell me, you "beloved best friends" who are so quick to throw stones at Red, Sonny and me and blame "the book" for Elvis' death.....what, EXACTLY, did you do to try and help Elvis with his addiction?

Never mind answering, I know what you did. You did nothing but hang on and over the years take the money from well-meaning fans who believed your self-serving bulls.hit. And frankly, no one took more money from the exploitation of Elvis than Burton.

I don't speak for Red and Sonny, but I know them to be men of honor and integrity and they are quite capable of speaking for themselves. But for me, a pox on you hateful and hypocritical bastards.



Looks like this comes from Dave's Facebook page:

Dave Hebler
http://www.facebook.com/dave.hebler

He makes some very valid points, despite the angry tone. Still, I don't expect the lie-kissed fan base to agree.

I think the reason Dave gets angry is because he can't seem to get through to peoples thick heads that Elvis is the only person to blame for his death, not the book, Elvis.

And i can understand fully why he gets angry...


Everybody knows that Elvis is responsible for his death for the most part, that doesn't mean that people still don't harbor bad feelings for those guys writing E-What happened, James Burton included.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:18 am

It was also in 1976 when Ed Hookstratten and Priscilla talked about a private clinic-Scripps in San Diego where Elvis could detox. But it never happened. In 1973 also Ed and O'Grady tried to intimidate the doctors from LA and Vegas. But I think the only time Elvis was scared and became committed to clean up in the final years was in November-December 1973, after the October hospitalization.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:47 pm

With the benefit of hindsight the book would never have been written esp if the three guys involved were aware of how much their recollections would get sexed-up. Dave Hebler's response to Jame's statement is in poor taste though and merely serves to fuel the hurt and widen the divide. Really these guys need to move on. In fact why can't a big team hug of forgiveness and reconcilliation be pencilled in as an event at the Pyramid during Elvis week. I'm sure everyone would be in floods of tears. I'm filling up just imagining it!
BTW does anyone know how many copies the book sold globally? I understand the Walmart chain placed the largest book order ever (2.5m) at the time of Elvis' death.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:11 pm

James has participated in countless Elvis-related events with other people who have written or said salacious things about him, and they have profited from doing so. To single out Red the way he did is very unfair, in my opinion.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroll wrote:Dave is a little hypocritical. I believe that if he, Red and Sonny had NOT been fired, then they too would fall into the category of "friends" of Elvis who took the money and perks. I don't think they would have written a book to "help" Elvis if they were still employed, even knowing he was an addict. The book was a revenge ploy, that, after Elvis died, they tried to cover as an attempt to help. After 37 years, I'm sure all three now believe it.


Since they took steps to get Elvis off the cycle of drugs he was taking, there is no way they would NOT have been fired. Thus, there is no way "they too would fall into the category of 'friends' of Elvis who took the money and perks."

That's exactly what happened in July 1976 and it is exactly the point you miss.


I get it. I was making a point about the purpose for writing the book.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:41 am

rocknroll wrote:Dave is a little hypocritical. I believe that if he, Red and Sonny had NOT been fired, then they too would fall into the category of "friends" of Elvis who took the money and perks. I don't think they would have written a book to "help" Elvis if they were still employed, even knowing he was an addict. The book was a revenge ploy, that, after Elvis died, they tried to cover as an attempt to help. After 37 years, I'm sure all three now believe it.


I couldn't agree more. While I don't think they set out to write a book to kill him, they did write a book with the target of hurting Elvis and knew him well enough to know how to really get him upset. And when it did increase his stress and in my opinion in turn contributed to his death, they made up the "We wrote the book in an attempt to help him." If they were trying to help him they wouldn't have written such a sensationalist book to start with. They were trying to hurt him and the "we did out out of love" is just what they told themselves so they could sleep at night. They now believe their own lie about it.

Maybe they just got caught up in their own anger. Maybe the whole thing with the book just got out of hand. Who knows. But I would hate to have to carry it on my conscience that I wrote a book stabbing my friend in the back and then him dying 2 weeks later -- whether or not his death was related to the book. Either way they know Elvis died worried about their actions and feeling betrayed. And they can never say, "Elvis, we're sorry." In the deep recesses of their minds, esp Red and Sonny, they are torn up about this entire ordeal.

People always say "Well Elvis did this or that to Red and Sonny and Dave." But he didn't do it in public. They went public and did it to hurt him - period. I have no use for the lot of them.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 am

James Burton just posted another statement. For some reason I smell a rat… I’m beginning to get the feeling that this issue was really about a conflicting --perhaps more lucrative-- booking, and that he merely found a convenient excuse. Anyway, read on:

A Statement From James Burton:

I want to THANK ALL THE FRIENDS OF ELVIS' FOR STANDING UP FOR ELVIS with me. I am very grateful for your support and understanding.

I will not be on the TCB Band/ Dennis Jale Cruise in September 2014.

The day I sent my statement of Feb 11th, I went ahead and scheduled another project during that time. I have enjoyed working with Dennis and perhaps we can take a cruise together at another time.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL, James Burton


Or am I being too cynical? I have defended James on this thread, but this latest statement somehow left me with an uneasy feeling.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 am

It is natural to be cynical; however, if the man has proven to be trustworthy in the past, one should give him the benefit of the doubt.

You would know, one door closes, and a lot of the time, another opens.

The truth, generally speaking, usually reveals itself in time, also by people's actions, or lack thereof.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:55 am

Well James has never written a book smearing Elvis, so I think he still beats Red. I'd rather see James (which I have) than Red (which I'd never do).

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Rock Legend wrote:James Burton just posted another statement. For some reason I smell a rat… I’m beginning to get the feeling that this issue was really about a conflicting --perhaps more lucrative-- booking, and that he merely found a convenient excuse. Anyway, read on:

A Statement From James Burton:

I want to THANK ALL THE FRIENDS OF ELVIS' FOR STANDING UP FOR ELVIS with me. I am very grateful for your support and understanding.

I will not be on the TCB Band/ Dennis Jale Cruise in September 2014.

The day I sent my statement of Feb 11th, I went ahead and scheduled another project during that time. I have enjoyed working with Dennis and perhaps we can take a cruise together at another time.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL, James Burton


Or am I being too cynical? I have defended James on this thread, but this latest statement somehow left me with an uneasy feeling.


No, I don't think so. Burton must have known how fans, Hebler and Lacker were going to respond.

All it seems to have done was bring up sad memories and divide us fans more.

There's more to this story than we know, and in time, we'll find out.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Maybe yes, or maybe no.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

Rock Legend wrote:James Burton just posted another statement. For some reason I smell a rat… I’m beginning to get the feeling that this issue was really about a conflicting --perhaps more lucrative-- booking, and that he merely found a convenient excuse. Anyway, read on:

A Statement From James Burton:

I want to THANK ALL THE FRIENDS OF ELVIS' FOR STANDING UP FOR ELVIS with me. I am very grateful for your support and understanding.

I will not be on the TCB Band/ Dennis Jale Cruise in September 2014.

The day I sent my statement of Feb 11th, I went ahead and scheduled another project during that time. I have enjoyed working with Dennis and perhaps we can take a cruise together at another time.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL, James Burton


Or am I being too cynical? I have defended James on this thread, but this latest statement somehow left me with an uneasy feeling.


So, no James and no Red on the cruise. I hear the trumpet player from the Hot Hilton Horns is available, for the right price.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50 am

Aw, heck, I don't go on cruises; I mean I wouldn't. Not after several recent horrible incidents on such vessels. Remember the "poop deck" that rolled into Mobile?

phpBB [video]



Sail on!

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Ultimately Elvis is to blame for his downfall......but, I think they're all hypocrites......MM, TCB, the women, his Dad and especially Tom Parker.
If they all 'supposedly' had his best interests at heart they should have tackled him head on regardless of the consequences to themselves personally. They all 'loved him so much'......bulls*it
All able bodied people who could have got work elsewhere.....

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Not Vernon. The last job he had was in the early 50' if I remember correctly.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:34 pm

debtd1 wrote:Ultimately Elvis is to blame for his downfall......but, I think they're all hypocrites......MM, TCB, the women, his Dad and especially Tom Parker.
If they all 'supposedly' had his best interests at heart they should have tackled him head on regardless of the consequences to themselves personally. They all 'loved him so much'......bulls*it
All able bodied people who could have got work elsewhere.....


Yes and Parker should have offered an alternative to the self-destructiive path that Elvis adopted.

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:37 pm

elvisjock wrote:So, no James and no Red on the cruise. I hear the trumpet player from the Hot Hilton Horns is available, for the right price.

Then that leaves me out. I'll not take a boat ride with any member of the Hot Hilton Horns. Those back-stabbing bastards weren't really Elvis' friends!

They were really something on stage, but where were they the minute Elvis needed them?

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 am

jungleroombear wrote:With the benefit of hindsight the book would never have been written esp if the three guys involved were aware of how much their recollections would get sexed-up. Dave Hebler's response to Jame's statement is in poor taste though and merely serves to fuel the hurt and widen the divide. Really these guys need to move on. In fact why can't a big team hug of forgiveness and reconcilliation be pencilled in as an event at the Pyramid during Elvis week. I'm sure everyone would be in floods of tears. I'm filling up just imagining it!
BTW does anyone know how many copies the book sold globally? I understand the Walmart chain placed the largest book order ever (2.5m) at the time of Elvis' death.



Well said.

:D

Re: Red West: James Burton Takes A Stance

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 am

jungleroombear wrote:In fact why can't a big team hug of forgiveness and reconcilliation be pencilled in as an event at the Pyramid during Elvis week.


It's never too late for a group hug, I say.