Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question to the studio master of "Too Much Monkey Business"

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Does anybody know who sings the first "uh-huh-huh" right before Elvis starts with "Salesman talkin' to me..."?
It kinda sounds like Elvis to me but I don't think it's him as it overlaps with El starting to sing the first verse.

And who sings with him on the final "Too much monkey business, uh-huh-huh..." lines?
Is it one of the Jordanaires or Jerry Reed or were there any harmony vocal overdubs done?
As far as I know, only Jerry Reed overdubbed his guitar (Take 5) over the final master (Take 14).

Can someone help me out on this behalf?

Re: Question to the studio master of "Too Much Monkey Busine

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:46 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Does anybody know who sings the first "uh-huh-huh" right before Elvis starts with "Salesman talkin' to me..."?
It kinda sounds like Elvis to me but I don't think it's him as it overlaps with El starting to sing the first verse.

And who sings with him on the final "Too much monkey business, uh-huh-huh..." lines?
Is it one of the Jordanaires or Jerry Reed or were there any harmony vocal overdubs done?
As far as I know, only Jerry Reed overdubbed his guitar (Take 5) over the final master (Take 14).

I can barely hear that first one, but any vocals not Elvis are by the Jordanaires, done live in the studio. Since the voice you ask about sounds low, it is probably the Jordanaires' bass singer Ray Walker.

Soundtrack Sessions for M.G.M.: Stay Away, Joe + Studio Sessions for RCA, January 15-17, 1968
http://elvisrecordings.com/s680115.htm

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley "Too Much Monkey Business" (RCA Studio B, Nashville - Monday, January 15, 1968)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 am

It sounds like Elvis to me on the first one. This was a song I really got into a few years back. Elvis had a knack for Chuck Berry tunes. Shame they couldn't have collaborated on something somewhere down the line. Perhaps having Chuck write and produce an album for Elvis.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:50 am

It could be a great LP "Elvis sings Chuck Berry".

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Does anybody know who sings the first "uh-huh-huh" right before Elvis starts with "Salesman talkin' to me..."?

I can barely hear that first one, but any vocals not Elvis are by the Jordanaires, done live in the studio. Since the voice you ask about sounds low, it is probably the Jordanaires' bass singer Ray Walker.

Soundtrack Sessions for M.G.M.: Stay Away, Joe + Studio Sessions for RCA, January 15-17, 1968

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley "Too Much Monkey Business" (RCA Studio B, Nashville - Monday, January 15, 1968)

Thanks, Doc. That was another possibility I thought of.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm

It sounds like Elvis to me... some kind of overdub maybe?

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Thanks, Doc. That was another possibility I thought of.

Always happy to help. I absolutely love Elvis' recording of "Too Much Monkey Business" and consider it an A+ accomplishment, despite having never looked at the sheet music. :lol:

It is a shame Elvis did not create an entire rock 'n' roll album of songs old and new with these musicians and similar, roots-like arrangements. Bob Moore's acoustic bass sounds so good.

Of course, where did this marvelous track find life? It appeared nine months later, buried on an appliance store promotional LP. Ack.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 pm

I wonder if Elvis had Jerry Reed on guitar in the 1968 Comeback Special doing Too Much Monkey Business how great could have been. As a teenager fan almost ignorant about Elvis whole catalogue in the 80's I was convinced that Too Much Monkey Business was a number one song in America in 1957-of course I confused that wonderful song recorded in 1968 with the Too Much single from January 1957.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, where did this marvelous track find life? It appeared nine months later, buried on an appliance store promotional LP. Ack.

And the other side of that record included the amazing, previously unreleased, "Tiger Man" from the June 27, 1968, 8pm Sit-Down Show. :facep:

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, where did this marvelous track find life? It appeared nine months later, buried on an appliance store promotional LP. Ack.

And the other side of that record included the amazing, previously unreleased, "Tiger Man" from the June 27, 1968, 8pm Sit-Down Show. :facep:

Of course, unless I am mistaken, "Tiger Man" is also the very first, officially released live recording from Elvis' stunning career, cut in June 1968 for the TV special, which no one has apparently ever noticed!

Except for me. ;-)

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Wait.....Hold on a tick! Before we all get gung ho about this song, we

need to determine which key it's in.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Of course, unless I am mistaken, "Tiger Man" is also the very first, officially released live recording from Elvis' stunning career, cut in June 1968 for the TV special, which no one has apparently ever noticed!

Except for me. ;-)

Nope, I picked up on this a while ago but I'm happy to share the credit with you!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 am

ekenee wrote:Wait.....Hold on a tick! Before we all get gung ho about this song, we

need to determine which key it's in.

F-sharp major.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 pm

I wish there was a music sheet of jerry reeds arrangement of the track... This finger picking is absolutely stunning.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Still recall listening to the "Flaming Star" album for the first time... that strange tambourine and the girls yelling... what a wild performance. And the unusual "Too Much Monkey Business", buried between really sh*tty movie songs. Just like the Doc said: Ack. :D

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 pm

jeanno wrote:I wish there was a music sheet of jerry reeds arrangement of the track... This finger picking is absolutely stunning.

Yes, sheet music would really help us analyze Elvis' recording of the Chuck Berry masterpiece. ;-)

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I was thrilled with Singer Presents Flaming Star because it allowed me to finally own the track Faming Star, which was, at the time, the only RCA master out of print. I thought all of side A was pretty good on that album with side B much weaker, other than Tiger Man, which was different from anything, almost, that he'd ever put out. I had no real idea where Do The Vega, Monkey Business, Nightlife, or She's A Machine came from at the time. Think of it, this is not the worst album, by a long shot, that RCA released

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 pm

stevelecher wrote:I was thrilled with Singer Presents Flaming Star because it allowed me to finally own the track Faming Star, which was, at the time, the only RCA master out of print. I thought all of side A was pretty good on that album with side B much weaker, other than Tiger Man, which was different from anything, almost, that he'd ever put out. I had no real idea where Do The Vega, Monkey Business, Nightlife, or She's A Machine came from at the time. Think of it, this is not the worst album, by a long shot, that RCA released

Very true!

Did you actually go into a Singer Sewing Machine store and buy a copy?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 pm

Hahaa, no Doc. Not to analyze anything: just to try to replicate it!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:00 pm

jeanno wrote:Hahaa, no Doc. Not to analyze anything: just to try to replicate it!

Reed's open tuning and speedy licks are incomparable. He was such a talent, and apparently a heck of a nice man.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:I was thrilled with Singer Presents Flaming Star because it allowed me to finally own the track Faming Star, which was, at the time, the only RCA master out of print. I thought all of side A was pretty good on that album with side B much weaker, other than Tiger Man, which was different from anything, almost, that he'd ever put out. I had no real idea where Do The Vega, Monkey Business, Nightlife, or She's A Machine came from at the time. Think of it, this is not the worst album, by a long shot, that RCA released

Very true!

Yes, I ran to the store which was in a strip center perhaps three blocks from my house. I had seen the famous full page ad saying to tune in to the TV event of the season which featured, in the bottom corner, an ad saying that album was available at the Singer stores. Along with the album, they had an 8 X 10 glossy of the spectacular photo of Elvis in his brown, Gospel medley suit from the Special, which, I think, had his album catalog printed on the back side. I think Singer sold quite a few of them.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 pm

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very true!

Yes, I ran to the store which was in a strip center perhaps three blocks from my house. I had seen the famous full page ad saying to tune in to the TV event of the season which featured, in the bottom corner, an ad saying that album was available at the Singer stores. Along with the album, they had an 8 X 10 glossy of the spectacular photo of Elvis in his brown, Gospel medley suit from the Special, which, I think, had his album catalog printed on the back side. I think Singer sold quite a few of them.

Do you still have it? I found a copy, sealed, many years later, just by chance. Just $4.00!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Do you still have it? I found a copy, sealed, many years later, just by chance. Just $4.00!

What would you think? Yes, of course I still have it. Truthfully, I never bought the Camden version of the album. I loved Wonderful World, Nightlife, and Too Much Monkey Business on side A. Played the disc quite a bit after I got it.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:00 pm

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What would you think? Yes, of course I still have it. Truthfully, I never bought the Camden version of the album. I loved Wonderful World, Nightlife, and Too Much Monkey Business on side A. Played the disc quite a bit after I got it.

Bet that, Beggars Banquet and The Beatles were burning up the ol' turntable in December 1968.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:04 pm

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, and soon followed by the second wave of the British invasion, with Led Zeppelin in the front row.