Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:27 pm

r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


And who do you think single handedly changed and redefined the image of Vegas? Elvis himselvis. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again. Same with NY. Vegas was a different animal. A lot of money to be made and the Colonel controlled the show, not Elvis. But why did Elvis go to Vegas to begin with? Because he bombed there in the '56 and wanted to prove to himself and the city that he could conquer it, and he did just that. Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him. Not the drugs.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:39 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


No, that is true. There were plans for him to return in 1973 to NY at MSG but Elvis told the Colonel he didn't want to in fear that he wouldn't be able to win the NY crowd over like he already did a year earlier. Either Joe Esposito or Jerry Schilling mentioned this one day on Sirius.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


No, that is true. There were plans for him to return in 1973 to NY at MSG but Elvis told the Colonel he didn't want to in fear that he wouldn't be able to win the NY crowd over like he already did a year earlier. Either Joe Esposito or Jerry Schilling mentioned this one day on Sirius.


It isn't i will not accept a vague source such as that.

Even if Esposito did say that he had said some things that just aren't accurate.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


No, that is true. There were plans for him to return in 1973 to NY at MSG but Elvis told the Colonel he didn't want to in fear that he wouldn't be able to win the NY crowd over like he already did a year earlier. Either Joe Esposito or Jerry Schilling mentioned this one day on Sirius.


It isn't i will not accept a vague source such as that.

Even if Esposito did say that he had said some things that just aren't accurate.


Who the hell made you God? So what if you don't accept it. Truth is the truth.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


No, that is true. There were plans for him to return in 1973 to NY at MSG but Elvis told the Colonel he didn't want to in fear that he wouldn't be able to win the NY crowd over like he already did a year earlier. Either Joe Esposito or Jerry Schilling mentioned this one day on Sirius.


It isn't i will not accept a vague source such as that.

Even if Esposito did say that he had said some things that just aren't accurate.


Who the hell made you God? So what if you don't accept it. Truth is the truth.


is it but what i said is true and not you or Esposito. :roll:

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him.

I think it is an insult to Elvis Presley's intelligence to say that. His problems were much more complex than that, as was his character.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Xaykev wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him.

I think it is an insult to Elvis Presley's intelligence to say that. His problems were much more complex than that, as was his character.


Elvis was in fantastic health and physical shape prior to 1971. After that it took him down a path he would never recover from. The stress of performing 2 shows a night, the weak material that he was faced to sing, the drugs from the pressure, and the fact that Parker was out in the casinos gambling away his earnings before he made them all added up to his downfall. But it all started with Vegas. Had Elvis stopped playing Vegas after 1970, things would have been different. His marriage might have been saved and who knows what all great things, both as an entertainer and as a wonderful kind human he would have given us.

Like the song says, I'll (we'll) never know.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


And who do you think single handedly changed and redefined the image of Vegas? Elvis himselvis. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again. Same with NY. Vegas was a different animal. A lot of money to be made and the Colonel controlled the show, not Elvis. But why did Elvis go to Vegas to begin with? Because he bombed there in the '56 and wanted to prove to himself and the city that he could conquer it, and he did just that. Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him. Not the drugs.


I wouldn't say Elvis changed Vegas but he did take it over and become the biggest draw that there ever was. There wasn't any different acts in Vegas after Elvis. There wasn't any other rock stars playing there after Elvis. Vegas really only became cool to rock fans and young people in the late 90's, early 2000's. Vegas was still the town of Steve & Eydie and Sinatra, Dean and Sammy during and after Elvis played there.

As far as MSG and Hawaii, I don't think Elvis chose where he played. He just went where the Colonel booked him. I doubt that not playing MSG again had anything to do with Elvis not wanting to duplicate past success. If that's true, why did he come back to Vegas for a second, third, forth, etc. season? Why did he play any town a second time? The real stated reason has always been that MSG cost too much so the Colonel booked him at the NY suburb arenas.

You may be right about Vegas killing Elvis because it was clear that Elvis hated Vegas after 1970 but the Colonel just kept booking him there.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:05 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him.

I think it is an insult to Elvis Presley's intelligence to say that. His problems were much more complex than that, as was his character.

But it all started with Vegas.

Absolutely not. His marriage was in trouble right from the start, he even wanted to separate after 7 months. He didn't even wanna get married. He was showing some signs of trouble when he was spending much of his time at the Circle G ranch in the 60s, like Red says, he was "out of it" now and then. To be bored about Vegas is one thing, to say it killed him is something different.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:31 am

eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


And who do you think single handedly changed and redefined the image of Vegas? Elvis himselvis. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again. Same with NY. Vegas was a different animal. A lot of money to be made and the Colonel controlled the show, not Elvis. But why did Elvis go to Vegas to begin with? Because he bombed there in the '56 and wanted to prove to himself and the city that he could conquer it, and he did just that. Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him. Not the drugs.


I wouldn't say Elvis changed Vegas but he did take it over and become the biggest draw that there ever was. There wasn't any different acts in Vegas after Elvis. There wasn't any other rock stars playing there after Elvis. Vegas really only became cool to rock fans and young people in the late 90's, early 2000's. Vegas was still the town of Steve & Eydie and Sinatra, Dean and Sammy during and after Elvis played there.

As far as MSG and Hawaii, I don't think Elvis chose where he played. He just went where the Colonel booked him. I doubt that not playing MSG again had anything to do with Elvis not wanting to duplicate past success. If that's true, why did he come back to Vegas for a second, third, forth, etc. season? Why did he play any town a second time? The real stated reason has always been that MSG cost too much so the Colonel booked him at the NY suburb arenas.

You may be right about Vegas killing Elvis because it was clear that Elvis hated Vegas after 1970 but the Colonel just kept booking him there.


It was not a question of the Col rebooking Elvis in Vegas, he was contractually obligated to perform there. The Col signed a 5 year contract on 1 Aug 1969, for 28 day engagements twice a year in Jan/Aug.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 am

ML4EP wrote:
eligain wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


And who do you think single handedly changed and redefined the image of Vegas? Elvis himselvis. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again. Same with NY. Vegas was a different animal. A lot of money to be made and the Colonel controlled the show, not Elvis. But why did Elvis go to Vegas to begin with? Because he bombed there in the '56 and wanted to prove to himself and the city that he could conquer it, and he did just that. Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him. Not the drugs.


I wouldn't say Elvis changed Vegas but he did take it over and become the biggest draw that there ever was. There wasn't any different acts in Vegas after Elvis. There wasn't any other rock stars playing there after Elvis. Vegas really only became cool to rock fans and young people in the late 90's, early 2000's. Vegas was still the town of Steve & Eydie and Sinatra, Dean and Sammy during and after Elvis played there.

As far as MSG and Hawaii, I don't think Elvis chose where he played. He just went where the Colonel booked him. I doubt that not playing MSG again had anything to do with Elvis not wanting to duplicate past success. If that's true, why did he come back to Vegas for a second, third, forth, etc. season? Why did he play any town a second time? The real stated reason has always been that MSG cost too much so the Colonel booked him at the NY suburb arenas.

You may be right about Vegas killing Elvis because it was clear that Elvis hated Vegas after 1970 but the Colonel just kept booking him there.


It was not a question of the Col rebooking Elvis in Vegas, he was contractually obligated to perform there. The Col signed a 5 year contract on 1 Aug 1969, for 28 day engagements twice a year in Jan/Aug.


Well, there you go. Why was the Colonel always signing him to such long term contracts in a business that can change every 6 weeks!

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
jparsons1969 wrote:Never really found her attractive, very overrated.

Yeah... eew!

Image
Image

:lol:


Overrated? Methinks not. Hot damn. :-o :smt026 :smt024 smt122 :smt081 :smt007

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Colonel always rebooking Elvis? Yes, and where was Elvis in all this? Pretty sure he signed his name to the contracts. A gun wasn't held to his head. The blame for much of what went wrong with his career can be laid at Elvis' feet. He needed to take contol, but didn't. Put simply, he needed to grow a set and stand up for himself and his career and mean it.

Oh yes. Back in the day, Cybill was quite lovely. I would have had no problem "going south."

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:07 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


I meant why not NYC again in general. If not MSG, there is Radio City Music Hall, The Beacon Theater, Carnegie Hall, all great venues. It didn't have to be MSG. I dont regard playing in Long Island the same as playing New York. Its the suburbs, the pulse is totally different. I went to those Long Island shows as well, a much different vibe than being in the city.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


And who do you think single handedly changed and redefined the image of Vegas? Elvis himselvis. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again. Same with NY. Vegas was a different animal. A lot of money to be made and the Colonel controlled the show, not Elvis. But why did Elvis go to Vegas to begin with? Because he bombed there in the '56 and wanted to prove to himself and the city that he could conquer it, and he did just that. Unfortunately Vegas was what really killed him. Not the drugs.


I don't agree at all with that. How did Elvis change Vegas exactly? Vegas was still the 'old' Vegas after Elvis died, a place for lounge acts ad the older Sinatra crowd. It didn't change until the 90's and became the 'new' Vegas, new hotels, a family place, sort of like Disneyland with gambling. Then it became fashionable for rock stars to start playing Vegas , but no one was doing that in 1977. Elvis was looked down upon by the hip folks for still playing Vegas after his initial return in 1969. That should have been it as far as I am concerned.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:33 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Colonel always rebooking Elvis? Yes, and where was Elvis in all this? Pretty sure he signed his name to the contracts. A gun wasn't held to his head. The blame for much of what went wrong with his career can be laid at Elvis' feet. He needed to take contol, but didn't. Put simply, he needed to grow a set and stand up for himself and his career and mean it.

Oh yes. Back in the day, Cybill was quite lovely. I would have had no problem "going south."



You mean you would have no problem going to Florida, Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama? :wink:


::rocks

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 pm

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Vegas is a lot different today than when Elvis played it. The whole image of the town has changed. When Elvis played it, it was the town of Steve & Eydie, Sinatra, etc. and uncool to rock fans. The atmosphere was totally different. The Stones and many other acts sold out MSG many times after 1972. I am not so sure Elvis would have constantly sold it out had he continued touring in New York City like these other acts do. Why did he never come back to NYC? He started playing the NYC suburbs like Long Island! I always wanted an answer as to why he never played NYC again since the Garden gig was so successful.


. And the reason that Elvis never returned to MSG was because like other past accomplishments, he didn't like to try and duplicate his past success. That's why following the success of Aloha, he never returned to perform there again.


That's not true that isn't the reason.

I already answered why he never played MSG again.

Regarding Hawaii Elvis only played there so often had he lived longer he would have appeared there again.


I meant why not NYC again in general. If not MSG, there is Radio City Music Hall, The Beacon Theater, Carnegie Hall, all great venues. It didn't have to be MSG. I dont regard playing in Long Island the same as playing New York. Its the suburbs, the pulse is totally different. I went to those Long Island shows as well, a much different vibe than being in the city.


I think the Beacon Theater and Carnegie Hall were too small and not profitable enough for Colonel Parker to consider booking Elvis there.

They were around the same size in capacity as the Las Vegas Hilton but Elvis got paid a salary per week and he was there for an entire month.

Booking Elvis for two shows at either Carnegie Hall or The Beacon theater while on a U.S. tour wouldn't have made them much money.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Area has a lot to do with it. All those records you mentioned were never played (or I didn't hear them) on New York City radio, Elvis was a dead commodity to the New York rock/pop scene by 1975.


If you think Elvis was a non factor, then why are you even on here? Oh that's right. To troll, like others do. :roll:


r&b is not at all a troll, but you see him that way because you are too deeply wrapped up in the mythology of Elvis Presley. Unfortunately, the truth is not always roses. I find his comments intelligent and refreshing, and hope that he continues to contribute his thoughts and experiences (MSG '72 !!) despite your antipathy.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
r&b wrote:Area has a lot to do with it. All those records you mentioned were never played (or I didn't hear them) on New York City radio, Elvis was a dead commodity to the New York rock/pop scene by 1975.


If you think Elvis was a non factor, then why are you even on here? Oh that's right. To troll, like others do. :roll:


r&b is not at all a troll, but you see him that way because you are too deeply wrapped up in the mythology of Elvis Presley. Unfortunately, the truth is not always roses. I find his comments intelligent and refreshing, and hope that he continues to contribute his thoughts and experiences (MSG '72 !!) despite your antipathy.


Thanks. I just try and looks at things from 2013 rational point of view now. I see things a lot differently now than I did when Elvis was alive. I was one of those guys who thought he couldn't do anything wrong , how dare you compare him to The Beatles, etc. but now I make my views known despite the backlash. Maybe its called maturity.

Re: when elvis dated Cybil Shepherd ?

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I seriously doubt Jennifer Lopez has that many teen fans.

You know what i mean and you know what i've said is true.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Beg to differ , she does have many teen fans........she had a world tour last yr and from what I can see there were many teens there , sure there's adults like myself but majority teens.