Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: I had a better day than you.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:43 am

I feel ya iplayastrat. I know how ya feel about playin' and the enthusiasm you have expressed here. Kool thread.

I love them Fender guitars :!:

I used to love to sit around and jam out to an ELvis cd and learn every lick that I was capable of, but those days seem so long ago and so far and few between with the wife, kids, work, school, etc etc ... taking up all my spare time now.

I have a pink paisley fender strat that I adore and noone every thinks about touchin' dat Gee-Tar without my consent or else ....

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am

iplayastrat wrote:I don't have a groupie story but my good days continue. Raining again today and cold so that gave me more time with my guitar and Elvis. Since we're getting close to Christmas I played "Christmas Peace". I can tell I haven't been practicing enough from the pain that is in my hands. But in Winter there always seems to be more time to play guitar.

On a side note, I just purchased the CD by Duffy titled "ROCKFERRY". It's really a great CD. Got a cool late '60's vibe to it. Get yourself a copy, you'll be glad you did.

Yes I bought it when it came out then annoyingly, as they do lately, they eventually brought out an expanded one with a couple of extra tracks on it, which I didn't buy as I've already been caught out several times by this cheap and nasty tactic.

However, it is a good CD. Reminds me of a young Lulu.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:18 pm

speedoo wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:I don't have a groupie story but my good days continue. Raining again today and cold so that gave me more time with my guitar and Elvis. Since we're getting close to Christmas I played "Christmas Peace". I can tell I haven't been practicing enough from the pain that is in my hands. But in Winter there always seems to be more time to play guitar.

On a side note, I just purchased the CD by Duffy titled "ROCKFERRY". It's really a great CD. Got a cool late '60's vibe to it. Get yourself a copy, you'll be glad you did.

Yes I bought it when it came out then annoyingly, as they do lately, they eventually brought out an expanded one with a couple of extra tracks on it, which I didn't buy as I've already been caught out several times by this cheap and nasty tactic.

Don't you think - and I say this as someone who was praising the album the minute it came out - that after a while she starts to grate? It's like she's now gone into "automatic Duffy" mode, and when that Rain On My Parade track was released it was as if somebody had said to her "We want you to make this sound as much like you as you can...". She did a version of Wonderwall for the BBC and it was like somebody else doing a piss-take.

Even when she sings Mercy now, she goes overboard with the 'cracks' in her voice. She's become almost as annoying as Lily Allen.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Richard Palmer wrote:
speedoo wrote:

Don't you think - and I say this as someone who was praising the album the minute it came out - that after a while she starts to grate? It's like she's now gone into "automatic Duffy" mode, and when that Rain On My Parade track was released it was as if somebody had said to her "We want you to make this sound as much like you as you can...". She did a version of Wonderwall for the BBC and it was like somebody else doing a piss-take.

Even when she sings Mercy now, she goes overboard with the 'cracks' in her voice. She's become almost as annoying as Lily Allen.

I'd need to play the CD or hear her a bit more, but I know what you mean. They find a sound and hammer it to death. I'll be interested to hear Lily's new album which comes out in the new year.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:56 pm

iplayastrat wrote:On a side note, I just purchased the CD by Duffy titled "ROCKFERRY". It's really a great CD. Got a cool late '60's vibe to it. Get yourself a copy, you'll be glad you did.

Duffy's first release is my [non Elvis] album of the year and I loved it when it first came out and I still think its fantastic.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:36 pm

ben wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:On a side note, I just purchased the CD by Duffy titled "ROCKFERRY". It's really a great CD. Got a cool late '60's vibe to it. Get yourself a copy, you'll be glad you did.

Duffy's first release is my [non Elvis] album of the year and I loved it when it first came out and I still think its fantastic.

Better than the new Tom Jones Ben?

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:53 am

speedoo wrote:
ben wrote:

I'm not a fan of Tom so yes.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:01 am

ben wrote:
speedoo wrote:
ben wrote:

I'm not a fan of Tom.

It's not unusual.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:18 am

minkahed wrote:I feel ya iplayastrat. I know how ya feel about playin' and the enthusiasm you have expressed here. Kool thread.

I love them Fender guitars :!:

I have a pink paisley fender strat that I adore and noone every thinks about touchin' dat Gee-Tar without my consent or else ....

Thanks for your comments minkahed. I'd like to see a picture of your paisley strat, those are really nice. And I know what you mean by nobody "touchin'" the guitar. I'm the same way, especially when it comes to my Gibson SJ-200.

Glad to read all of your post about Duffy. Man, it's so rare to find an album that is so good. I ordered the Deluxe Edition of Rockferry that was mentioned in an earlier post. Even ordered the CD singles, I think they had non-album tracks on them. Maybe I'll create my own "Duffy" website......think I'll call it "FOR DUFFY CD COLLECTORS"!

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:24 am

Richard Palmer wrote:. She's become almost as annoying as Lily Allen.
is that possible

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:23 am

keninlincs wrote:
is that possible

I hope not.

Some are saying her father is Elvis' "best friend"(self-described),
yep, I'm talking about Mr. Tom Jones! :lol:

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 am

iplayastrat wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
is that possible

I hope not.

Some are saying her father is Elvis' "best friend"(self-described),
yep, I'm talking about Mr. Tom Jones! :lol:

Never heard that one before.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Rob wrote:I drove back and forth over a speed bump all day.

That speed bump, that was me. The day didn't make my top ten.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:10 am

Yes again, I had a better day than you peeps.

A day to myself. Pulled out the Epiphone Broadway
and my Elvis CM Set (my cdr's) and went through many
of Elvis' 50's and 60's tracks. Fun, fun, fun.

Iplayastrat wins again.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:15 am

Hate it when people post to 4 year old dead threads or older threads. Why do they do that???????????????????????

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:24 am

steve in SC wrote:Hate it when people post to 4 year old dead threads or older threads. Why do they do that???????????????????????

Probably because I had a good day playing guitar.
And I thought I might share that. Sorry if playing
the guitar and Elvis' music bothers you.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 am

steve in SC wrote:Hate it when people post to 4 year old dead threads or older threads. Why do they do that???????????????????????

Well, it is his topic... There's that...

Keep on rockin', iplayastrat. :wink:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:36 am

billyblues wrote:
Keep on rockin', iplayastrat. :wink:

Thanks my brother!

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am

I, for one, am thankful you resurrected this four year old thread. I never would have found it otherwise.

I find it somewhat funny that I found it immediately after posting a question to iplayastrat in another thread.

Oh, and I have a great day any time I can spend it playing guitar and singing. I don't do much Elvis, but I bought the fake book so I can learn more of it.

Also, I discovered that I have something (else) in common with Greybeard.

Brian

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 am

bpmod wrote:I, for one, am thankful you resurrected this four year old thread. I never would have found it otherwise.

Thanks Brian.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 am

Anyone who can play a musical instrument should do it every day. Creating music changes the world.

I envy you.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 am

iplayastrat wrote:

Glad you had a good day but you could have started a new thread and we would have known you had a good day much sooner. :D

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 am

steve in SC wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:

Glad you had a good day but you could have started a new thread and we would have known you had a good day much sooner. :D

Always a fine line whether or not to start a new thread on a previous topic. We can be criticized either way -- so we do the best we can.

As a newbie, I always check post dates/times.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 am

Well, it was your thread. So that's that. You can come back to it anytime. And yes, you certainly had a better day. Today.

As for other threads, well, when I first got on board, I didn't know the deal with forums, so whatever was down at the bottom of the page, related threads, I would click on 'em, and just start in as if it were yesterday! I got the hang of things after a bit.

But . . .

Sometimes an older thread MUST be revived in light of new information, or to see it from a different angle. Or maybe a newer member has information unavailable earlier. There are several good reasons. It shouldn't be done on a whim, of course, but newer people have to learn that. I mean, people new to FORUMS: if you know forums, then you should know not to do what I did, at first. Not just new to this forum, but to the process. If you know the process, abide by it here. Which means that threads should be revived thoughtfully.

So anytime you had a better day than anybody here, post away! :D

rjm

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

You guys and gals are too kind.

There's another thread that talks about Elvis'
guitar playing ability (or not). I think, at least
in my case Elvis' greatest gift was inspiration.
How many of us picked up a guitar because
of him? I'm not sure I would have ever played
guitar if it weren't for him. And for that I owe
him a great deal of gratitude.